TESTERS WANTED! ×

TaylorMade RocketBladez Irons Review

GolfSpy WD

• SPY VIP

I don't know why I never thought to do that. When they asked for my specs, I told them I wanted "standard" length. I assumed that "standard" length would be whatever length they make the RBladez. My irons are build to the exact "standard" length as it states on my Golfworks Club Ruler (my 7I is 36.75").

I'll remeasure and see if mine are closer to yours. I just eyed em out quick.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hit the Tours today at the golf show. Wow they feel good. T, seriously if you need the tours tested I'd be more than happy to pass my RBlZ's onto another member for testing :P

Hey guys,

great that you are keeping up the info. finally finished my project of RBZ with the aerotechs 95i HS once. I have these at Mizuno specs (which i beleive are a .25 inch shorter than standard 37.25 6 iron length in my seven RBLDZ .5 inch increments down to the wedge) they perform just as good or better than the KBS at .25 long same distance and more control. amazing. Anyone who is willing to let ego and pride getinto the way of playing better golf well.......I hope to i see you in some tourneys. I will take the advantage any day of the week forget the rest of the noise.

BTW i used the 6 iron length in the 7 iron head to get closer to my 5 hybrid. That was the intent. My Mirua six iron was 17-20 off. so it's one for one. i am not trying to say I hit a 7iron 180 I am using it as a six iron.

I had thought about going to the Tours in 7I-PW, but I realized this would just be for cosmetics, so I decided against it. I do think however I am going to replace my Wishon with the RBladez SW.

Got used to the look real quick beleive it or not. the wedges (PW through Lob) are miura Y 49, Vokey 53 & 57 and a mizzy 61 T11. wedges have to have that look for me. the 8-PW in the GI RBLDZ are quite nice after a couple usages as you already know.

Man I can't wait to get back on the course and hit these bad boys again without a stupid driving range mat...Spring is so close I can taste it!

I will say that after months of owning these clubs, I still feel the same way about them as in my review, which is why I'm bagging the 4i-PW.

Two random things

1: I got to hit the Tour's the other night. They feel much the same, but the heel to toe length is much more pleasing to the eye. A nice iron all around

2: I also got to hit a friends RBZ iron, the japanese edition. These puppies had KBS C Taper 90's in them. Appearntly it's a shaft only open to the JDM market for now. The weight change and the C Taper profile really brought these clubs to life, even though I'm not usually a C Taper guy at all. The head isn't any different for those who are wondering.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Go with what works and don't worry if your club says 6 iron or 3 hybrid when you hit the shot. If I had the budget I'd give the tour version of these irons a very serious look.

Funny you say that. Last year I was playing with my bro in law who's been playing forever and always long off the tee. We get to a par 3 that was right at 170. I hit a 7i that went a little long and ended up at the back of the green. He steps up with a 3 hybrid. I didn't care, but it surprised me. I asked, You sure? I just went long with a 7i. He went and got his 7i. He put it at least 30 yards short. I told him to hit another ball and don't listen to me. He put the next one right by mine with the 3h. So yea, just play what gets you there and don't worry how that compares to someone else.

I keep coming back to this thread, and everytime I read it, I think to myself that I really should be giving these clubs a serious go.

I bought the 4i for an option of the tee, and am getting some GREAT results with it.

I also made arrangements for a 7i demo club to be delivered to my home course, and have hit a few shots out on the course. Everything about the club says I have to get it, the results are really good.

But then I go to my local golf retailer, and hit a few different clubs. When I hit my MP-53s at the retailer, I fall back in love with them. Then I go to the course, and I find myself wanting the Rocketbladez after each crappy shot with the MP-53 longer irons.

I think I might just end up with a set of Rocketbladez in the next couple of months. Just need to save up a bit, as they are quite expensive here in SA.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

I keep coming back to this thread, and everytime I read it, I think to myself that I really should be giving these clubs a serious go.

I bought the 4i for an option of the tee, and am getting some GREAT results with it.

I also made arrangements for a 7i demo club to be delivered to my home course, and have hit a few shots out on the course. Everything about the club says I have to get it, the results are really good.

But then I go to my local golf retailer, and hit a few different clubs. When I hit my MP-53s at the retailer, I fall back in love with them. Then I go to the course, and I find myself wanting the Rocketbladez after each crappy shot with the MP-53 longer irons.

I think I might just end up with a set of Rocketbladez in the next couple of months. Just need to save up a bit, as they are quite expensive here in SA.

Spanar,

Unless your ego gets in the way whats to say you can't get the short irons in MPs and Long irons in RBLDZ. if the results aren't on the course don't bag it man. your handicap will thank you later. probably your pocket too when you take the weekend skins/scat moneys :lol:

Spanar,

Unless your ego gets in the way whats to say you can't get the short irons in MPs and Long irons in RBLDZ. if the results aren't on the course don't bag it man. your handicap will thank you later. probably your pocket too when you take the weekend skins/scat moneys :lol:

I think the only problem with that would be a huge gap at whatever iron you make the transition. For me (and I just tested this the other day) I can't hit my old 7i as far as I hit this RBladez 8i.

I think the only problem with that would be a huge gap at whatever iron you make the transition. For me (and I just tested this the other day) I can't hit my old 7i as far as I hit this RBladez 8i.

Hey Bones,

I thought about that but you can tweak the RBLDZ plus or minus a couple degrees to cover the gap back or forward if need be. I mean if you really wanted the add forgiveness and not just the distance. I made my 7iron an extra degree strong to play at 29.5* and then one strong the 8,9,PW. I thought I would have a gap between my RBDLZ PW and my gap wedge bent strong but its minimal at best maybe 2 yards which for most people isn't really big. I bent the gap which was 51 to 49. my irons go.

7-29.5*

8-34*

9-39*

PW-44

Miura Y - 49*

vokey SM4- 53

vokey SM4- 57

Mizuno t11 - 61

again my need was the differnce between my 5 hybrid and my old 6 iron these things made it possible for all kinds of options. if playing a longer course I can add a 2 hybrid or a 4-5 wood at the top and take out the 61*. it took a little getting used to because what I used to play my wedges for full distance and half distance is stronger by a couple degrees adding 3-5 yards. I also went to all aerotechs which has been amazing. I never felt more confident with my irons and I am hoping it spells it out in my handicap

Spanar,

Thanks, fsav. I briefly thought about the possibility.

But as RoverRick subsequently pointed out, gapping might be an issue.

And from the reviews I have read, I didn't see too many complaints about the shrter irons.

I don't know if I want to be playing a split set at this time of my development, feels like it would add another variable.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question... but...: Do any of you know if you can buy the Rocketbladez irons as a 'heads only' set? If so, can you point me in the direction of who might sell them. Thanks heaps

Brad

Fraid you can't. None of the big OEM sell individual components, sorry.

Fraid you can't. None of the big OEM sell individual components, sorry.

With one exception (unless TM shuts it down). Certain shops are Adams dealers that get head's only from them. Typically you still can't buy just the heads from them, but they'll build you up the Adams club with whatever shaft/grip/etc combo you want. Victory Custom golf for example (Ken's a good guy too. Great to deal with)

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• 2 weeks later...

Okay here's a question for our testers - the longest iron that I have in my bag currently is a 6 iron - is it really that easy to hit these long irons -

I have a serious offer on the table for my mizunos - one that would allow me to purchase what I wanted in the Rocketbldz and have some significant cash left over after the fact - I'm entertaining the notion of selling, buying and saving.

If I were to do that I can get a 5 through AW through global golf with my specs at what I would consider a good price - the question is - do I go 5 or just 6? I had some success with the Mizuno 5 - actually some pretty good success with it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

Played yesterday. Fighting my swing changes big time.

I tee'd off with a 4 once and 5 twice, also hit one 5 from the fairway. Never a question of how straight any of those shots were going to be and they climb fast and just went. I'm gonna say it that the long irons are stupid easy to hit and they just go.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Okay here's a question for our testers - the longest iron that I have in my bag currently is a 6 iron - is it really that easy to hit these long irons -

I have a serious offer on the table for my mizunos - one that would allow me to purchase what I wanted in the Rocketbldz and have some significant cash left over after the fact - I'm entertaining the notion of selling, buying and saving.

If I were to do that I can get a 5 through AW through global golf with my specs at what I would consider a good price - the question is - do I go 5 or just 6? I had some success with the Mizuno 5 - actually some pretty good success with it.

Put it this way, I never bagged a 4i until this set. The 5i is stupid easy to hit. I'm still working on getting better with the 4.

Thanks guys - I've got to tell you that all three of you have set a huge bar for anyone who tests in the future.

I got to hit 8 iron, 9 iron, Wedge and 6 iron the other day - I couldn't believe how far I hit the 8 iron when I went to lay up with it on a par 5 - I was trying to lay up to the 100 and hit it to 85 - a club and a half past where I would normally have hit my 8. I hit the 6 iron from where I should have hit a 5 maybe even a 4 into a fierce wind and hit it on the front fringe. Every shot I hit went as you've described - dead straight, high, the wedge that I hit was from a hanging lie, 127 down wind, firm green, took one hop and spun dead pin high 15 feet left - right where it started off that side hill lie.

I'm dying to hit the AW - I saw it when I went for my fitting but only hit it a time or two - my friend didn't get the AW so I didn't get to try one.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It was about 37.4°F yesterday and there was a strong cool breeze. I was getting about 180-185 out of that 5 iron in those conditions.

Does that count the roll on the frozen turf? :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

So if you open the face a bit, sounds like it won't cut much, but do you get a higher trajectory? Thinking along the lines of taking 5-10 yds off a 5i. Honestly was not even considering these until I went back and read the reviews.

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway FTi 9* Aldila NVS S flex

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Callaway X Hot 5-AW 2* flat

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

Yes! Callie w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0

Archived