TESTERS WANTED! ×

TaylorMade RocketBladez Irons Review

GolfSpy WD

So if you open the face a bit, sounds like it won't cut much, but do you get a higher trajectory? Thinking along the lines of taking 5-10 yds off a 5i. Honestly was not even considering these until I went back and read the reviews.

Yes. It will still fade, but mine only go about 3-5yds right. The other day I hit a 120yd "flop" with the 9i that went so high it was almost out of sight (not really, but you get the point).

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest problem I see is if I bag these, I'll need a new 3 hybrid as the 4 iron is probably close to my 7w, and my 4 wood would be in danger too. Not that shiny new toys are a 'problem'

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway FTi 9* Aldila NVS S flex

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Callaway X Hot 5-AW 2* flat

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

Yes! Callie w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0

Okay here's a question for our testers - the longest iron that I have in my bag currently is a 6 iron - is it really that easy to hit these long irons -

I have a serious offer on the table for my mizunos - one that would allow me to purchase what I wanted in the Rocketbldz and have some significant cash left over after the fact - I'm entertaining the notion of selling, buying and saving.

If I were to do that I can get a 5 through AW through global golf with my specs at what I would consider a good price - the question is - do I go 5 or just 6? I had some success with the Mizuno 5 - actually some pretty good success with it.

Hey RevKEV,

Not a tester but I was bought these for XMAS.

I only played 6-PW in my miura's. When I made the switch I had a significant gap between my 5 hybrid and my miura 6 irons so to close the gap I went 7-PW 1 degree strong. This worked great for me. Doing this allowed me to add a club on either end of my bag too. I added, for now, a 61 degree wedge but am tinkering with a 2 hybrid (possible the Adam LS) for added options of the tee for the longer courses.

so my answer to your questions is yes these things even when mishit go straight and as longer as you don't lay sod over the ball travel within 5 yards of full distance on mishits. so on short par fours if you tee off and mishit the ball it's straight and not like you are hitting 2 extra clubs in the green unless of course its a shanker.

I would go 6-AW 1 degree strong and you can tinker with your current wedges (strong or weak to fill gaps) and possibly have room for another club.

Just my opinion. I am still getting used to the yardages but they are coming together fairly well. main thing is swing issues so I have that working for me:)

GOOD LUCK

Thanks again guys - no big deal on the gap on the wedges as I still hadn't resolved the wedge gap issue with my Mizunos - I was just resolving the gap between my longest iron used and first hybrid. I hadn't even started the GW - next wedge thing.

Right now it looks good on paper:

Rocketbladz AW 50

SCOR 55,60

Those who have SCORs know they are wicked long - I'm as long with the SCOR 55 as I am with the 53 I've had in and out of the bag and I'm as long with the SCOR 60 as I was with my old 58. Full shots from the fairway have never been an issue for me with those clubs and I'm working hard with them to familiarize myself with them around the greens.

Two weeks and they get to go for real on the course in a somewhat competitive situation.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Don't forget the gaps on your wedges get messed up too!

True that. That is probably going to be an issue regardless of the direction I go. I currently have a 46* PW with the MX-900's, and play a 52*/56*/60* set. My full swing PW is around 125-130, and full swing gap is 105, so that needed to fixed. If the RBZ gap was in the 115 range, the 52/56 combo would slot in nice, albeit at the expense of the finesse shots the lob gave me.

Excited as I am to bag some new irons, I need to get some rounds under my belt before embarking on the upgrade, after a 2 year layoff I'm a different person than I was, 30 lbs lighter, and stronger, and hopefully more consistent.

Looking forward to having a fun time solving the riddle.

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

True that. That is probably going to be an issue regardless of the direction I go. I currently have a 46* PW with the MX-900's, and play a 52*/56*/60* set. My full swing PW is around 125-130, and full swing gap is 105, so that needed to fixed. If the RBZ gap was in the 115 range, the 52/56 combo would slot in nice, albeit at the expense of the finesse shots the lob gave me.

Excited as I am to bag some new irons, I need to get some rounds under my belt before embarking on the upgrade, after a 2 year layoff I'm a different person than I was, 30 lbs lighter, and stronger, and hopefully more consistent.

With the RBladez, I pulled the 3I in favor of another wedge.

If this helps......

Setup before RocketBladez

Driver

3W

18* Hybrid

3-PW

52*

56*

Putter

Setup with Rocketbladez

Driver

3W

17* Hybrid

4-AW

55*

60*

Putter

I went with a 50-54-58 set of SCOR wedges and dropped the Rbladez AW, I just couldn't get a feel for that club. The SCORs seem wicked hot off the face, but I haven't checked my gaps with them yet. Once I can get back on the course I'll do an update on the Rbladez, which may be a copy and paste of my original review since as far as I can tell, the honeymoon period still hasn't worn off these.

Has anyone here tried the Rocketbladez tours as a comparison yet? I looked at those a bit yesterday and hit the 7 iron side by side with the regular rocketbladez - it wasn't necessarily a fair comparison as the regular had a graphite shaft and the tour a steel shaft - I also noticed that graphite is not given as an option for the tour - that doesn't make sense to me - there are plenty of people on tour particularly when the Champions tour and LPGA are factored in who use graphite. My TMag fitter who's been fitting tour players for 10 years believes that in the next 10 years there could be as many as 50 percent of the guys on the regular tour using graphite.

Bottom line though was I liked the KBS steel shaft in the tour model - I was indoors and not on a launch monitor so I couldn't tell you the actual difference between the two. Remarkably everyone here is longer than me. I know I wasn't hitting the 7 iron 170 yards nor would I had the PW 130 yards - I'd be tickled with 160 and 120 - heck I'd be tickled with 155 and 115 straight and consistent. I'd be fine with 150, 110 straight and consistent. I'd be fine with 140, 100 straight and consistent even though that would be shorter than my current irons.

They're irons - I don't care how far they go, I care how consistently similarly they fly shot after shot and that they don't bite me too much when I screw up my swing.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Has anyone here tried the Rocketbladez tours as a comparison yet? I looked at those a bit yesterday and hit the 7 iron side by side with the regular rocketbladez - it wasn't necessarily a fair comparison as the regular had a graphite shaft and the tour a steel shaft - I also noticed that graphite is not given as an option for the tour - that doesn't make sense to me - there are plenty of people on tour particularly when the Champions tour and LPGA are factored in who use graphite. My TMag fitter who's been fitting tour players for 10 years believes that in the next 10 years there could be as many as 50 percent of the guys on the regular tour using graphite.

Bottom line though was I liked the KBS steel shaft in the tour model - I was indoors and not on a launch monitor so I couldn't tell you the actual difference between the two. Remarkably everyone here is longer than me. I know I wasn't hitting the 7 iron 170 yards nor would I had the PW 130 yards - I'd be tickled with 160 and 120 - heck I'd be tickled with 155 and 115 straight and consistent. I'd be fine with 150, 110 straight and consistent. I'd be fine with 140, 100 straight and consistent even though that would be shorter than my current irons.

They're irons - I don't care how far they go, I care how consistently similarly they fly shot after shot and that they don't bite me too much when I screw up my swing.

I haven't felt any need to try the tour versions. You can always custom order with graphite shafts. The TM cart is usually really good too and probably has a bunch of options of shafts to try out.

When I tried the standard vs the Tours, what I got with the Tours was

A: Less distance (higher lofted club for club)

B: More spin

C: Steeper descent angle. When the ball came down, it came down and stopped

D: Looks signifigantly smaller to me even if they actually aren't. Some might like that, others won't.

E: More consistent distances. With the standards, I could pull a 8 yard range out of them with a straight hit. I couldn't vary the tours by more then 3 yards until I started monkeying with the swing.

All that being said, the Tours are fairly demanding. On par with the Pro Combo's I'd say for requiring a good swing. if you don't give it, they're going to hurt you much worse then the standard version.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Thanks again guys - no big deal on the gap on the wedges as I still hadn't resolved the wedge gap issue with my Mizunos - I was just resolving the gap between my longest iron used and first hybrid. I hadn't even started the GW - next wedge thing.

Right now it looks good on paper:

Rocketbladz AW 50

SCOR 55,60

Those who have SCORs know they are wicked long - I'm as long with the SCOR 55 as I am with the 53 I've had in and out of the bag and I'm as long with the SCOR 60 as I was with my old 58. Full shots from the fairway have never been an issue for me with those clubs and I'm working hard with them to familiarize myself with them around the greens.

Two weeks and they get to go for real on the course in a somewhat competitive situation.

Rev good thinking. we are in the same boat with getting close to your first hybrid. for me it was actually a two club jump (7iron RBLDZ to 5 hybrid RBZ) remember though I went one degree strong it fit perfectly.

Great update Dan - you've sold me on forgetting about the Tours and just locking in on the same thing that you guys have.

On another note I can't believe how well I'm hitting my Contest R11s - I'm hitting that sucker crazy long for me and I hit it so much straighter than any driver I've ever had and I was a very accurate driver of the ball before - I got there with a noticable draw - now I just hit it straight or if I want to flight it down a bit play a baby draw.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Great update Dan - you've sold me on forgetting about the Tours and just locking in on the same thing that you guys have.

On another note I can't believe how well I'm hitting my Contest R11s - I'm hitting that sucker crazy long for me and I hit it so much straighter than any driver I've ever had and I was a very accurate driver of the ball before - I got there with a noticable draw - now I just hit it straight or if I want to flight it down a bit play a baby draw.

I gotta say, I've tried out all the new drivers. I still like the R11s the best.

I have an irrational loathing of all things in the realm of 4 iron. They're repulsilvely ugly, sucky to hit and often have signifigant diminshing returns.

I liked that 4 iron. A lot.

I feel dirty.

At this point, it's either the G25's or these.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

I have an irrational loathing of all things in the realm of 4 iron. They're repulsilvely ugly, sucky to hit and often have signifigant diminshing returns.

I liked that 4 iron. A lot.

I feel dirty.

At this point, it's either the G25's or these.

Doooo it!

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Doooo it!

Likely. I'd like golf to be fun again. Not hit a good drive and then have no clue what's going to happen with the next iron shot.

I need to sell the Nike's and either get GT to take back the Fourteens or find a buyer for them. The Mrs won't be happy about that many iron sets in the house since the new rule is no more then 2 iron sets, 25 clubs maximum, 1 bag and 1 cart.

I'm a little late here... By that's what I was thinking - the 4i is def longer than my current 7w, so drop that in favor of a current 3h, and I forgot I had a v-steel 3w collecting dust that will suffice for now.

With the RBladez, I pulled the 3I in favor of another wedge.

If this helps......

Setup before RocketBladez

Driver

3W

18* Hybrid

3-PW

52*

56*

Putter

Setup with Rocketbladez

Driver

3W

17* Hybrid

4-AW

55*

60*

Putter

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

I''m not ready to add a 6 month update; I want to get a few more rounds on them.

I will say this though. Yesterday I had 223 from the rough and had to play a 20yd fade around a tree. I pulled the 4i and was just trying to get into the fairway in front of the green. I ended up carrying it to the center of the green and had 25' for birdie. These irons are the real deal, stupid long and even stupid-ier accurate.

I''m not ready to add a 6 month update; I want to get a few more rounds on them.

I will say this though. Yesterday I had 223 from the rough and had to play a 20yd fade around a tree. I pulled the 4i and was just trying to get into the fairway in front of the green. I ended up carrying it to the center of the green and had 25' for birdie. These irons are the real deal, stupid long and even stupid-ier accurate.

2 questions -

1. I'm starting to pick up that you guys are saying you can work these irons a bit.

2. Will JBones guarantee that I can hit the 4 iron 223 if I purchase these irons. :angry:

One of those questions is serious and the other isn't. You guys can figure out which is which.

I do have a serious second question though. Super Tuna has a higher opinion of the 4 iron than I do. Will I really be able to hit this one? I'm looking to move from 6 iron to 5 iron as my longest iron in the bag. Why would I want the 4 over the 4 hybrid? What would the advantage be? I'm very good with the 4 hybrid.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

2 questions -

1. I'm starting to pick up that you guys are saying you can work these irons a bit.

2. Will JBones guarantee that I can hit the 4 iron 223 if I purchase these irons. :angry:

One of those questions is serious and the other isn't. You guys can figure out which is which.

I do have a serious second question though. Super Tuna has a higher opinion of the 4 iron than I do. Will I really be able to hit this one? I'm looking to move from 6 iron to 5 iron as my longest iron in the bag. Why would I want the 4 over the 4 hybrid? What would the advantage be? I'm very good with the 4 hybrid.

Rev,

Keep in mind it's still a 4i, and if you look at the loft, it's kind of a 3i.

When I wrote my review, I could not hit it well. I've been practicing with it a lot though and an way more comfortable with it than I used to be, enough that I prefer it over a hybrid.

Point is, ut does take work to get used to, but it's a wonderful club when you do.

Archived