GolfSpy WD

TaylorMade RocketBladez Irons Review

It's extremely similar to the ATV wedge. I think it's probably the same wedge, just rebadged, at least from my experience with it.

According to the rep the AW has a different bounce pattern that the ATV

I know its a subjective thing, but giving 100/100 on looks with that top line and comparing them to some of the clubs outthere I find it a little bit biased...

I know its a subjective thing, but giving 100/100 on looks with that top line and comparing them to some of the clubs outthere I find it a little bit biased...

I can't speak for JBones or his mindset, but the instruction I always give my testers when we talk about looks is:

How do the looks of these irons compare to other clubs in the same category.

By the nature of the design, Game Improvement irons won't be as pretty as players CBs or blades. Everything has to be relative. It's not fair to, for example, compare the aesthetic qualities of a Mizuno MP-69 to a Wilson Ci11.

I went into this exactly as T stated above, I also stated in the Subjective Notes that it was based on only GI irons. When it comes to looks these cant even hold a candle to my Swing Science, let alone the hundreds of other gorgeous sets out there. I've spent the last three weeks looking at tons of GI sets and to my eye, these are the best looking by far of the stuff on the shelves and from what I can remember over the last several years.

I also made it know in the review that I have never been a fan of TMag, so there is definitely no bias involved. You don't understand how bad I wanted to find faults and bash TM, but I honestly haven't found one.....yet. I've found small things that I would change and I've noted those in the review, but as far as performance goes, they are top notch. These are not GI irons that are made for a 20+ handi, they fit a much wider range. If I can play to a 7 with a players cavity and play to a 3 with something that's not what one would call traditional, then I'm gonna roll with it. This could be a honeymoon period and when it wears off I might think they are the worst irons ever, but I will revisit that with time.

Great write up JBones. You are seriously making me reconsider the set of Adams CMB's that just came in the mail today.

Here is a question for you though. Based on the distances you were hitting everything, do you think you will need to rethink the rest of your wedges? Is there too big of a gap now between the PW and your 52 degree?

Great write up JBones. You are seriously making me reconsider the set of Adams CMB's that just came in the mail today.

Here is a question for you though. Based on the distances you were hitting everything, do you think you will need to rethink the rest of your wedges? Is there too big of a gap now between the PW and your 52 degree?

The PW is 45* and the AW is 50*, so I don't really have a problem there. The big gap for me is between the AW and my 56* SW. I'm considering going out and buying the 55* RBladez SW, to see if it would narrow that gap. I've also thought about pulling the 3W in favor of a 60*. I need some LM time to get some solid numbers. I've always been more of a feel player, so I've never really worried about gaps, but with all these being longer, it's causing a little concern.

The PW is 45* and the AW is 50*, so I don't really have a problem there. The big gap for me is between the AW and my 56* SW. I'm considering going out and buying the 55* RBladez SW, to see if it would narrow that gap. I've also thought about pulling the 3W in favor of a 60*. I need some LM time to get some solid numbers. I've always been more of a feel player, so I've never really worried about gaps, but with all these being longer, it's causing a little concern.

Just get ur SW bent a degree strong, u could always have bent back if u don't like it. Good detailed review by the way, enjoyed reading it.

Might not be the longest but you just bought the best looking set of irons on the market that are not blades IMHO. Love the look of the CMB's!!

Just get ur SW bent a degree strong, u could always have bent back if u don't like it. Good detailed review by the way, enjoyed reading it.

I've actually got a 55* Wishon Micro-Groove HM on the way. There is a huge difference between the Maltby 56* and the RBladez AW; the ball just launches off the face of the AW. I've never been a big fan of these Maltby wedges, but I have made them work; since I've had them I only use them inside of 75yds, outside of that I play a pitch and run with my PW.

Might not be the longest but you just bought the best looking set of irons on the market that are not blades IMHO. Love the look of the CMB's!!

I couldn't agree more.

Added a couple more pics as promised; toplines of the RBladez vs Swing Science and a face on view of the 4I.

Added a couple more pics as promised; toplines of the RBladez vs Swing Science and a face on view of the 4I.

Excellent review. I had a set of R9's, and these seem like a large improvement.

I couldn't agree more.

+2

I have to say that your review was very thorough and a great read JBones. Thanks!

Thanks, gents. I had tons of notes and my review mostly wrote out on paper and it still took me 6 hours to get it put into the thread. I have even more respect and appreciation for what the MGS staff does after this process.

Everyone needs to go check out the awesome header that MBP made for my review, it's pretty slick (it's the first pic in the actual review).

My "playing" review is up. I answered a few general questions at the end, but ask away if want more specific information. I'm going to add a few more pics to it when I get home and get them off the camera. I'm going to add a "data" portion once I get on the LM.

Jayhawk, the AW is the most forgiving wedge I have ever played; it hit the ball all over the face and I put it on the green every time, with the exception of the two that went long. It is also one of the softest feeling wedges I have ever played; right up there with the Scratch 8620.

Where is the review posted? I can't find it anywhere.

Everyone needs to go check out the awesome header that MBP made for my review, it's pretty slick (it's the first pic in the actual review).

Way to go MBP...that looks sick!!

Where is the review posted? I can't find it anywhere.

Look at the first page of this topic. It's a little ways down the page.