Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Stocking Up On Wedges?

• SPY VIP

So has anyone considered buying extra sets of old groove wedges this year to play for the next 10?

I am sure that shops will have them next year, even if they can't be made after 2010.

Do you think that there will be a huge production surge toward that deadline?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I won't be stocking up, and I suspect, based on what Nic has said about people wanting to play conforming grooves, that there won't be a huge run on the old stuff. I would also suspect that some companies will continue making "old" grooves, even if it's against the rules. Lots of people won't care and will want the spin.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

TBH - I'll probably do better with the non conforming wedges as, by all accounts, the ball flies higher as it rolls up the face more, rather than getting 'snagged' in the grooves, flying off lower but imparting spin. I never get any real check with anything less that a full swing, and would rather the ball go higher, and roll less on short pitches...

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

I will seek out older wedges if I like how they play for me (and I did that with the iWedges I play now). I wouldn't solely buy older designs just because of the grooves. But if they have the spinny grooves and it's a club I like then that's just a bonus.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

One other point - most amateurs don't play a tour caliber ball, which you really need to generate noticeable spin. So I'm not sure if a vast majority would benefit from the old wedges anyway. Hard to spin a Rock Flite (even with Mack Daddy grooves)...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I'm guessing the current wedges, that of course can be produced until the end of 2010, will be available for at least a couple of years, new and used in the secondary market even thought the OEM's won't be able to sell them, so I see no rush to run out and buy any right now. I might buy a couple next winter to have on hand but I don't see them being in short supply for years to come.

I'll also add, that I have NO desire to play the new wedges until the deadline, if I'm still alive and able by then. Fourteen years is a long way off.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

• SPY VIP

I do sort of feel pressed to find a old groove wedge that I can stick with and maybe pick up an extra new set. New ones don't sound good to me. need to go and hit the cg14's again, I guess.

Volvo Intorqueo

TBH - I'll probably do better with the non conforming wedges as, by all accounts, the ball flies higher as it rolls up the face more, rather than getting 'snagged' in the grooves, flying off lower but imparting spin. I never get any real check with anything less that a full swing, and would rather the ball go higher, and roll less on short pitches...

I think this is an interesting point. I wonder if some golfers won't find it easier to stop the ball with higher trajectory and lower spin, given, as A2G pointed out, that most of them don't pay a spinny tour-caliber ball anyway.

Thought about stocking up on some Vokey's...wonder if they'll be worth a pretty penny in the future?

I would doubt it, simply based on the number that they make. I guess if you kept it mint for a bunch of years, you might find someone who wants it, but I doubt it would ever be "collectible".

• SPY VIP

I agree that the market it too saturated to collect for money. I don't see the eye2 thing happening again. Sort of like collecting OTR Camerons. They will still have value, but likely less than sale price.

Volvo Intorqueo

I agree that the market it too saturated to collect for money. I don't see the eye2 thing happening again. Sort of like collecting OTR Camerons. They will still have value, but likely less than sale price.

Yeah, I expect that the best you could hope for is that they hold their price over time, but I suppose at that rate they're still losing value.

I agree, the Ping Eye 2 thing was a one time anomaly.

i have 8 now, and plan on buying at least one more set of 3 before the year is out. Hi. My name is nic, and I have a problem......

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

i have 8 now, and plan on buying at least one more set of 3 before the year is out. Hi. My name is nic, and I have a problem......

Let me revise my answer: if I could buy my wedges at wholesale, I would buy about 3 sets to stash for later.

• SPY VIP

Let me revise my answer: if I could buy my wedges at wholesale, I would buy about 3 sets to stash for later.

At wholesale I would have a set of camo cg14s just for fun...

Volvo Intorqueo

Discounts are not as deep as you might think.... sure, my first 5 paychecks went back to the shop, but that has gotten better in recent years...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I'm actually playing "new grooves" wedges this season and really like them. I have always been a high spin player, so it is nice to be able to hit a hard wedge and not have it come flying back on me, although the shots from the fairway have very little difference from last year to this year. I played this morning and it was rather wet out, did notice a difference then on shots from the fairways. My irons are conforming and I used them all of last season without noticing a big difference in the way the ball reacted off of them.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Discounts are not as deep as you might think.... sure, my first 5 paychecks went back to the shop, but that has gotten better in recent years...

That had to be a hard couple months to explain:

"Yeah, honey, it's weird, they told me that no one gets a paycheck for the first couple months."

That had to be a hard couple months to explain:

"Yeah, honey, it's weird, they told me that no one gets a paycheck for the first couple months."

Correct

A tough thing to explain....

BTW This is officially my 1000th post....

Wheee

Worked at a music store during college

500 cds and money for meister brau is all I had to show for it...

sounds like my kind of job...

Correct

A tough thing to explain....

BTW This is officially my 1000th post....

Wheee

Congratulations, Grandmaster.

Worked at a music store during college

500 cds and money for meister brau is all I had to show for it...

I was at Rockler (woodworking store, fantastic) a few weeks ago and while I was checking out someone called and asked if they were hiring and was told "No." The cashier turned to me and said, "I get that call at least once a day. We're already full of people who want to spend their paychecks here, we don't need any more."

Congratulations, Grandmaster.

I was at Rockler (woodworking store, fantastic) a few weeks ago and while I was checking out someone called and asked if they were hiring and was told "No." The cashier turned to me and said, "I get that call at least once a day. We're already full of people who want to spend their paychecks here, we don't need any more."

Ty...

We just hired another guy who is only working so he can get clubs at a discount. that kind of thing really rubs me the wrong way...

Ty...

We just hired another guy who is only working so he can get clubs at a discount. that kind of thing really rubs me the wrong way...

When I worked in retail, the discounts weren't good enough to work for, with the exception of having a TMAG card.

Did this guy actually say that's why he's working there? Seems like an odd thing to say to your employer. Does he do a good job, at least?

When I worked in retail, the discounts weren't good enough to work for, with the exception of having a TMAG card.

Did this guy actually say that's why he's working there? Seems like an odd thing to say to your employer. Does he do a good job, at least?

It is too soon to say. It is nice to have another body on the floor some days.. And in the interest of full disclosure, working for a discount is just what my opinion is.... and I could be wrong. It happened once.... in the early 1980's...

Did anyone ever buy the camo cg14's in your shop? seemed like a fun promotion with Boo, but not that great in execution

we probably got in around 10-15 of those, and they are all gone...

Archived