Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TaylorMade Project 5 Golf Ball - Official Forum Testers Wanted

Tony Covey MGS

Just want to make sure I haven't missed anything. I haven't see a review template yet - will that be coming soon?

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats guys. Looking forward to your reviews.

It's amazing how many people sign up for the forum and then sign up for testing as their first and only post. Guys, you are NOT going to get picked if you sign up for the forum and immediately sign up to test something without ever contributing elsewhere. Stick around and be active and the next testing you might get lucky.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Got the test balls in the mail today!

Received one sleeve with 5 balls for the test/review.

I would post pictures, but my cameras battery is dead and in the process of charging it now.

Will post pictures later tonight or Saturday.

Congrats guys and looking forward to hearing about the test. I'm assuming that this ball is intended to replace the current Penta 5 - is that correct?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Congrats guys and looking forward to hearing about the test. I'm assuming that this ball is intended to replace the current Penta 5 - is that correct?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I received the golf balls on Friday. I had a chance to get to the putting green on Sunday. I'll post some pics and initial impressions/tests later this evening.

Is there a specific template to use for the full review?

Thanks!

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

My sleeve of testers arrived Saturday about the same time as the rain that hasn't slowed down since :(.

It is pure torture to have toys to play with and compare. Especially since I also have sleeves of Srixon Z-Stars,, TM TP5's and Pro-V1x's to compare them to directly.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Just a teaser before I head out to the course to get some swings in.. I did get over the practice green for about 40 minutes and am finding that this is a genuinely fantastic ball on and around the greens, with great feel off the putter, and good control in the short wedges. Today should give me a chance to get a feel for the long irons and driver.

P1030021.JPG

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Hello All.

I will post some pics later tonight/tomorrow. In the meantime and in advance of a full write up, here are my initial thoughts.

I didn't read the materials description on the box, so when I took these to the practice green I had no idea what to expect. I dropped the 5 balls and proceeded to hit approximately 30 chips with my 54* SCOR wedge. I also hit a similar number of chips with the Callaway Hex Black ball.

It was immediately apparent that the TaylorMade ball spun just as much as the Callaway. I also noticed that on most of the shots, there was a lower trajectory than the Callaway. I was really liking the trajectory - low, controllable, and predictable. The ball has a nice solid feel off of the club as well.

When I went to putting, I really enjoyed the feel and sound. I was with my 7 year old son, and did an experiment. 5 separate times I had him set 1 Callaway and a TaylorMade ball in front of my putter. With my eyes closed I putted each ball and told him which one I "liked" better. By like I mean sound and feel.

4 of the 5 times I choose the TaylorMade. For me, it is just a little more solid than the Callaway.

I came away from the initial chipping/putting test very impressed. I remember saying to myself if this is not a Urethane ball then it is the best non-Urethane ball ever. After seeing the earlier posts with the picture of the box mentioning the Urethane material, this makes sense. Still I was very impressed with the ball around the green.

I did get a chance to hit some 40 yard pitch shots yesterday, but due to the grass and green really don't have much to report. I will take these balls out to the course or a better practice area this weekend and look to hit some full pitches and shots.

I got mine yesterday and I will play on Saturday.

Did any one get a review template.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I got mine yesterday and I will play on Saturday.

Did any one get a review template.

Not yet, at least not for me.

Not yet, at least not for me.

Just received an email with the template - thanks.

Hey all,

Look forward to the outcome drooling over here. Had elective arthroscopic surgery yesterday to clean out some loose bodies causing me issues.

Anyway, I have the new rocketbladez waiting and am here reading writing for the next week and a half. Seems interesting that the chip shots showed lower ball flight hmmm tm5 with rocket blades equals 35 yards????? Ahhahaha not on meds guys took the day off too groggy.

How about putter face any insert??? I have the little man and every ball feels like putty but the results work so screw it😬

I know you don't wanna spoil your reviews, but soft off putter?

Hi. I just did a quick test for you.

Putters: Odyssey Black Series Tour Design (no insert) Wide Blade, Wilson 2010 Brass CS Blade

Balls: Callaway Warbird Plus, Callaway Hex Black (Urethane), Wilson Staff FG Tour (Urethane), TaylorMade Project 5.

With both putters, the results were the same. Each urethane ball felt the same off of the face, soft. The Warbird was definitely harder. However, each ball had a distinct sound. The Warbird was highest pitch, followed by the Callaway and the Wilson (close together), and the deepest sound came from the TaylorMade.

I mentioned in my previous post in my "blind" test results between the TaylorMade and Callaway, I consistently preferred the TaylorMade. From the quick test above I can see why. To my ears, the TaylorMade gives off a more solid, deeper resonating sound which I like.

Hope that helps!

Thanks ManBearPig, I appreciate the feedback.

I'm playing 2x this week, and will use the ball extensively. I'll post the full review before the new year, and in the meantime can answer questions around putting/chipping/short pitching.

Hey Everone I got frost delayed out of a round yesterday but I did some putting and chipping. And compared the TM ball with some pro v1 balls and as for putting the TM ball felt great of my SC Montery a lot softer than the pro v witch I like but found that they checked up less and that suprised me. But the green/ball were quite cold. I'll play next weekend and hopefully the following and then I'll have a better idea.

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

I'm still assuming that this ball is slated to replace the current Penta 5. Yes?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm still assuming that this ball is slated to replace the current Penta 5. Yes?

That's my guess based on everything I have read and initial performance.

That's my guess based on everything I have read and initial performance.

I play the Penta tp5 and when I play next weekend ill have more comparison between the two.

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

• SPY VIP

Guys - I dropped the ball a bit on the instructions for the guys doing the ball reviews.

The review(s) and subsequent discussion should take place here: http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/7853-taylormade-project-5-golf-ball-reviews/.

I've already moved Damon's review.

Thanks,

T

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived