Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How much does adjustability play a role when you purchase a driver?

GolfSpy_X

28 members have voted

1. 1. How much does adjustability play a role when you purchase a driver?

• MUST HAVE
    • DON'T CARE
    • SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN

I hate adjusting face angle in order to increase/decrease loft, that is why I'm so looking forward to testing the new drivers in 2013.

I'm the opposite of wd. When my swing goes south, I need to lower the loft bring the trajectory down. Could also be the shaft, who knows :P

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I got my latest driver simply because it is adjustable in loft. It turns out I made a swing adjustment and have not used that option, but it was the whole reason for the change.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I'm in between. If I can get properly fit into a driver that is not adjustable, I am just fine with that.

However my current driver is adjustable and I was able to tweak the setting to better fit my swing. So adjustability was a big plus.

It all depends on the head/shaft combo and what fits my swing best.

If I was just buying something off the rack then I would say it's a must have.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I am in between, but that said every driver I have gamed since the original R7 has been adjustable.

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

I wouldn't say that I'd never play a non-adjustable driver, but I'd less likely that I would play one. A lot of that has to do with how many shafts I test and the fact that I like to swap shafts or tweak the face every now and again.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

A lot of that has to do with how many shafts I test and the fact that I like to swap shafts or tweak the face every now and again.

+1 Exactly.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Got tired of futzing around with the head of my Titleist early in the year and returned it to neutral, figuring adjustability was no big deal. The went to a fitting - he suggested I bring the loft down some and then was able to find a new shaft on eBay for cheap -- so the adjustability was more of a benefit. So at this point in the year, I'd say it was pretty useful...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I've never owned an adjustable driver so if there is a benefit, I certainly wouldn't know. I have tried going to a couple of driver fittings in the past but neither produced any positive results, so I'm winging it as far as fitting goes. I recently won a UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 S6 shaft so I had to decide if I should install it in my Titleist 909D2 or purchase a new driver for it. I considered buying adjustable, but settled on a "like new" Titleist 909D3 that I found on eBay.

I now have a driver/shaft that I'm thrilled to hit every time I tee up. I don't know if it is the clubhead or the shaft (or both), but I now hit a penetrating ball with less spin that just bores through the wind. I've actually achieved the kind of results I had always hoped for when I went to a fitting. (I've had three different shafts in my 909D2 driver and none match this new combo.) Would an adjustable head make it even better? I don't know but I doubt it.

I can't thank UST Mamiya enough. This is a great head/shaft combination for me. And I don't have to worry if there is a better setting.

I tend to find that I set it once and leave it alone. I always set them square and if I hit a bad shot I know its my fault and it just makes me work harder..

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I've become more and more fond of it after having been somewhat resistant to it at first.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I currently do not play an adjustable driver. While I don't see any major problems with them, I don't see myself buying one over a non adjustable driver unless I hit it better than a certain non-adjustable. This is for a number of reasons.

First, I am trying to keep my swing as consistent as possible. While there may not be much affect with adjustable, it does in my mind. Currently, I know when my swing is on because of the ball flight, trajectory, and consistency. When I am driving the ball well, I know that my swing is where I want it to be. I am somewhat worried that if I start using an adjustable driver, I will start tweaking the driver, not my swing. I at least feel as if this would cause a more inconsistent swing that changes too often

One benefit of an adjustable driver, is, like many said, being able to switch out shafts. I have never owned more than one shaft, and I just can't/ couldn't bring myself to spend the money for another shaft, or get a driver over another driver solely so that I could switch out shafts.

Not saying I wouldn't get an adjustable driver, just saying I'm not going to rule out non-adjustable drivers either when I'm in the market for a new one.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

ive not bought a driver that wasnt adjustable for a while>

i like to swap shafts around and adjustability helpsmake it so much less of a hassle

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I didn't own one until the middle of this season. Personally I like the versitility and security to know that it would be easy to swap out shafts should I want. Essentially I have a driver that I can use for the next 5 to 10 years and not think twice about it. Given that I'm equipment stable through the bag and Driver Ho this is a very, very good thing for all sorts of reasons.

Of course I may wear that stupid wrench out before the driver wears out but the wrench is cheaper than a new driver. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have gone full circle. From none- to nothing but- and back to none again.

I am not opposed to buying one, but adjustability is not high on the list of things I look for.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

I didn't own one until the middle of this season. Personally I like the versitility and security to know that it would be easy to swap out shafts should I want. Essentially I have a driver that I can use for the next 5 to 10 years and not think twice about it. Given that I'm equipment stable through the bag and Driver Ho this is a very, very good thing for all sorts of reasons.

Of course I may wear that stupid wrench out before the driver wears out but the wrench is cheaper than a new driver. :)

Side note to this. If that's your plan, you may want to stock up on TM adapters now. Their new driver is heavily rumored to not use the same adapters going forward.

I've been collecting a cache of them like Smaug lately.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Thanks Super Tuna - that would figure BTW. :angry:

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks Super Tuna - that would figure BTW. :angry:

On the plus side, I imagine there will be some lazy people that sell off their old shafts rather then re-tip them when they move to the new model. I suspect there will be some bargins to be had.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

As long as I can sole the club and it sit open, it really doesn't matter to me if it's adjustable or not. I'm currently playing a non-adjustable club. I've also played adjustable clubs. It's all dependent on whether or not I can get it to where it's visually pleasing.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I have actually tried to avoid adjustable drivers, the only one that I have played is the VR Tour adjustable driver, but I preferred the glued version. I have hit all of the TM and Titleist adjustable drivers since we carry them in our shop. I will give the Covert a full shot to be my driver next year, but I will not be getting rid of my current gamer.

As a retailer, I am liking the newest developments in single heads like the Amp Cell and Covert as it is easier to simply order x number of stiff and regular versus breaking down the lofts.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Well, I guess it's all 100% your opinion based on your game. I tend to like my adjustable R11 but in the future may also carry a solid in my bag as well. My reason for liking the adjustable so much is I can easily adjust to what is needed at the time. When I want to play the roll I go down to 9.0 and if the case calls for it I'll go up to 12.0 and play somewhat of a stop shot with tons of backspin. I get more carry with the higher degree and if I'm looking to stay withing a 10-15 yard window on my driv, then the higher loft takes the cake.

Everyone should be playing to their strengths rather than their weakness. For me, sometimes that means being able to control what the ball does, a little more post flight, on a drive.

Good poll :-)

Dexterity: Lefty

Driver: TaylorMade R11 10.5 (set at 9.0) on a Black Ops "Pro Tour" XS shaft

Irons: Coming Soon! :-)

------------------------------------------------------

Mike Singer

News, Social Media, and Forum Guru @ USPG Enterprises

Home of the USPG Black Ops Shaft Line

Like us on Facebook: USPGBlackOps

Follow on Twitter: @USPGBlackOps

Hey if I missed doing it elsewhere welcome Black Ops Mike good to have you here.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived