TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wife's instructions

revkev

This could almost go in the cigar lounge because scotch and cigars and golf go together (even though I don't smoke cigars I love the smell of them.)

At any rate you guys will all appreciate that I'm off today except for a wedding rehersal this evening. The rehersal does get in the way of playing though and we have company coming into town so I had a variety of honey do stuff to attend to. No problem because one of those things was the grocery shopping. The grocery store - well a grocery store - happens to be right next to the driving range. :) :) :)

Oh and the last thing my wife said before she left this morning was, "Why don't you go ahead and get yourself a bottle of scotch to have with the company!" :) "But not Johnny Walker Blue!!!!" (We've been married for 28 years and she knows to be specific but perhaps not specific enough yet) So after I went to the range and starbucks and the grocery store I walked over to the liquor store.

My goal there was to get a bottle of Johnny Walker Black - the flyer in the grocery store said it was on sale and I have a quarter of a bottle of Glenlividt so I have a single malt and wanted a blended. JW Black is my default blended - it's nice for company - they're happy - I'm happy and after a drink or two we're all happy together. But alas there was a Glenmorengie 10 year old Single Malt on sale. What was I to do? I wanted a blended scotch but this was a great deal and I was only supposed to buy one bottle. I grabed the single malt and went to the register where I saw that Johnny Walker Gold was on sale at a huge savings but siginificantly more that the bottle I had in hand. So I stopped there for a second and thought, "Kersti said buy a bottle of scotch. I wanted a blended. She said, not JW blue, this wasn't JW Blue, it was less a third the price of JW blue and it was a blended."

I just put the bottle of JW Gold in my liquor cabinet - it looks nice. B)

What would you have done?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If Kersti is like Lady Jane, she will never know the difference. And this does not seem a particularly good time to improve her education. Only if she asks.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Blue is overrated IMHO. I'll drink it if my dad buys it, but I'll never buy it myself :lol:

But if I were you, I would have gotten Gold. I love Gold and the Glenmorangie one is also in my cabinet!

Good choice!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

That! You did not break any rules. Nicely done

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I'd have passed on the Blue too......but.....I'd have bought both the others. Scotch doesn't go bad....it's going to be drunk eventually....and it was on sale. My wife would have been happy I was thrifty. Seriously.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

When it comes to wives, I've found there's rarely a downside to keeping quiet. Most of the trouble I get in is when I open my mouth...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Well, at 5:40 the good wife sent a text to bring home dinner, I replied I was still on the course and would. At 6:57 I asked what she wanted and she told me. At 7:42 she said she was starving. And at 8 when I got home all she said was you better have a good excuse. I said I do not. That was the extent of the battle. I do not think that well I was drinking beer and smoking cigars and lost track of time is a valid excuse. Which it is but not one she would except.

You know this time I really don't have a opinion, because I would have got them both. See my wife has a couple of drinks of JW Red almost nightly just to help her sleep and wind down LOL!!!

So to me I could have got the JW gold for her and got the scotch for me and nothing would ever been said..

So to me you just have to feel out the relationship, In your case good choice

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I knew this thread would evoke lots of fun comments and sound, solid advice that I can pass along to couples in premarital classes or even perhaps some material for today's wedding sermon. :)

I can't speak to my Baptist brethran Dan - Lutherans are different eggs for sure, listen to Garrison Keeler sometime - he has lots of fun with us. Richard I sincerely doubt that I have more grey matter than you - I certainly would not have been wise enough to delegate the Yeti question to my administrative assistant. :)

I do like Blue alot - but I also have a son who's going out to sea today under orders to bring me back a bottle from his last port of call where he will get it for around $140 instead of $220 plus tax.

I totally agree with the adage oft offered here that silence is golden and also the other tact that strategic buys - you get yours and I'll get mine - are important marital strategies. Thanks for the laughs guys - I did enjoy a glass of the gold as a nightcap - I was very smooth - Blue has a lighter finish, gold is smokier going down and I very much appreciate that.

Okay I have two hours before I need to get cleaned up for the wedding, it's 70 out and sunny wiht a light variable wind. What should I do?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'd been so good for so long but this was over the plate you know. You're on that board for a reason and you are a succesful person in life for a reason too - You most certainly do not lack for grey matter. B)

I'm just very blessed to have a patient wife in regards to the longevitiy of this relationship is all I can say.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

JW is the most disgusting liquor I have ever had, no matter what color the label. If there was JW Blue and a bottle of sewer water, I'd have to think about which to drink. While we're talking about scotch; my buddy bought a bar a few years ago and while I was up there I found a bottle if Glenlivet 21. I asked where it came from and he said "it came with the bar". I asked him what he'd charge me for a glass and he said "how bout 5 bucks"? I drank that whole bottle over two nights for $5 a glass, I didn't tell him it was a $250 scotch until I finished it. Lol

I would have bought them all and used the logic that because they were on sale "Look How Much I Saved" biggrin.gif

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Great story JB even though we differ on our taste for JW - you sound like a single malt guy though so I understand - I like both types and sort of have rituals behind when and with whom I'll drink one or the other.

I'm wierd like that.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

RP, I pay full price at his place, he tries to give me discounts and I make it up in tips (he works the bar most nights). I found the bottle back in the storage room when I was helping him move some of the old owners stuff out. I didn't know it was so expensive until after the first night and I went home an looked it up......which is why I went back and finished it off, lol. I definitely didn't feel bad, because I went up there the weekend before and bought a whole bottle of Patron for our table and paid $110 for it and I know he pays a third of that. The bar is very successful though, they have some of the best food in town and the drink prices are about the cheapest in town. It's also not the kind of place that carries top shelf stuff, so the 21 was probably from the old owners personal stash.

Then you're a great friend, seriously. Like I said, my friends don't come in my bar often unless I have something special, cuz I've found after 20 years of ownin bars, nothin good can come from friends hangin in your bar, aspecially if the spouses & significant others know each other. Plus, my current bar is predomantly black(many nights I'm the only white male). It ain't a big thing for me(this is my 2nd outa 5 bars), though a lot of my buddies that I golf with are, well, to go from our men's card room to my bar would not only be culture shock, it'd be dangerous..LOL(I'm serios, though it is funny)

Though, I can't believe that you went through a whole bottle of Petron & he charged you ful price. For you, the guys on here or my buddies in the Burgh, and I had one this past June, buy the bottle for his bro's birthday, and I gave hime 25% off($90 to him). I still did ok..LOL

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I have a lot of friends, but I only have a handful of close friends and for those close friends, I'd take a bullet and they'd do the same for me..........this guy is one of those close friends. The night I had to pay full price was their Grand Re-Opening (first night after he took ownership) and it was only so expensive, because we just started off doing shots, before buying the rest of the bottle. Hell, after paying $20 for a half pint of Patron at a liquor store this weekend, I don't feel so bad.

RP, I pay full price at his place, he tries to give me discounts and I make it up in tips (he works the bar most nights). I found the bottle back in the storage room when I was helping him move some of the old owners stuff out. I didn't know it was so expensive until after the first night and I went home an looked it up......which is why I went back and finished it off, lol. I definitely didn't feel bad, because I went up there the weekend before and bought a whole bottle of Patron for our table and paid $110 for it and I know he pays a third of that. The bar is very successful though, they have some of the best food in town and the drink prices are about the cheapest in town. It's also not the kind of place that carries top shelf stuff, so the 21 was probably from the old owners personal stash.

I do not know about your neck of the woods but here, a bottle of alcohol is taxed for 18 drinks. I have never worked or owned a bar but I have sat in a few, for research purposes :rolleyes: , and I overheard the manager say something like that to a new bartender. So in addition to the building, wages, lights, etc... they have to pay a bunch of tax per drink.

Dude, great story!! Exactly why my friends aren't regulars at my bar!! LOL. Though I know the price of 21 & it wouldn't even be on the shelf at my current place..LOL

Did ya even feel bad? LOL. With a few more friends like you & he'll be on to his next great venture. LOL. This is the problem with a lot of bar owners. When a customer or non-bar owner knows more about the value of your inventory than you do, what are the odds of ya succeeding?

That's why 88% of bars either go outa business or are sold at a loss at the five year mark. 88%!! Though, I must admit, it makes my job easier. LOL

Again, great story!

Fairways & Greens 4ever

My Dad owns a sports bar in San Diego and everyone wants to be friends. But they still have to pay full price with the exception of his Son LOL.

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

Speaking of bars... Went to one this past weekend that also has cigars you can buy. I bought one (paid $13 for a $6 Macanudo but its beside the point. Also brought a Rocky Patel Vintage in with me). Well, after 6 pitchers of beer, the waitress decided that the start of the 3rd quarter would be a good time to change the channel from the Notre Dame game to basketball, cause the other 5 were also on basketball. After a brief exchange I was told I was cut off from the bar. May have had something to do with the 6 pitchers of beer, me asking her if she was an idiot, and asking why there needed to be more basketball on when I was watching one football game on one TV while tipping her nearly the cost of a pitcher for every pitcher an she still hasn't gotten me an ash tray. Using much more colorful and alcohol induce language of course. But hey, there were 5 big screens with hoops already on and my entire table was watching that one football game. And to top it off? I never got an ash tray.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Bad break RB7 if you are ever in San Diego my Dads bar has 50+ tv but you have to go outside to smoke. But there is TV's out there as well

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

Archived