Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cobra AMP Blade pics

TWShoot67

Here's a pic that Ricky just tweeted: The new @cobragolf AMP Cell Pro Muscleback...yes they look good and yes they are pure!!

Screenshot2012-11-16at53844PM.png

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Wow those look really good.. Might have a replacement for the adams already..

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Something about a classic blade that justs looks so classy. This isn't any different for me, I would game them if I could afford them...and my handicap was ten strokes less. ;)

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

That looks like some serious muscle packed onto that blade!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Great looking set of irons.A lil combo set of 3,4,5 cavities 7-P blades would be nice....minus the 4 orange dots on there, guess its paintfill after box opens out comes varsol for removal!! laugh.gifbiggrin.gif

R11s 9 Open ASP w/Aerotech Powercoil 65X tipped 1"

Cally XHot 15 w/ Powercoil 65S

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18 w/Player Spec Stiff HS 1X

Miura 501s 3-P w/Player Spec Stiff HS 1x

TM XFT 54/60 w/Steelfiber i125s

PING Nome TR SS Ultra Thin Red

ALL Irons/Woods PURE Isle of Capri Pure Pro std w/2 wraps

Srixon XV Yellow

Something about a classic blade that justs looks so classy. This isn't any different for me, I would game them if I could afford them...and my handicap was ten strokes less. ;)

But handicap is 100% irrelevant when choosing irons. It's about how good a ball striker you are, how much forgiveness you want, and how much workability you want. What is a 20 handicapper has almost tour like ball striking but is the worst putter and chipper on the course every time he plays? Does his handicap prevent him from using blades even if they are fully within his potential?

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

But handicap is 100% irrelevant when choosing irons. It's about how good a ball striker you are, how much forgiveness you want, and how much workability you want. What is a 20 handicapper has almost tour like ball striking but is the worst putter and chipper on the course every time he plays? Does his handicap prevent him from using blades even if they are fully within his potential?

na i'm not buying this!

a 20 handicapper could not use these clubs!

What's Inside My Ping Hoofer

Driver: TMaG R9 SuperTri TP Aldila Voodoo SvS6

FW Wood: Callaway xHot 3 deep Pro Projext X 6.0

2 Iron: Callaway x Utility Proto 18 deg Project X pxi 6.0

Hybrid: TMaG Rescue 09 21 deg Motore F1

Irons: 4 - PW Callaway X Forged 13 KBS Tour S

Wedges: Titliest Vokey 52' 56'

Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo S

Grips: Golf Pride Decade Multi-Compound Cord

Ball: Titliest ProV1x

na i'm not buying this!

Not true. Not true at all.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

If you can find me someone that is a 20 handicap, has the long game of a scratch golfer, yet their short game is so bad they are a twenty handicap overall, then kudos to you. Sure in your perfect world example something like that could happen, but the chances are so slim they aren't anywhere near anything that should be taken into account. Sure everyone has strengths and weaknesses, but to an extent of someone being at a scratch level with everything but short game, or even just irons and having everything else be that much worse, I don't think that has or ever will happen.

The lower the handicap, as a general overarching rule, the better the ball striker. A three handicap will be a better ball striker than a 15 or even 10 99 times out of a hundred.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

If you can find me someone that is a 20 handicap, has the long game of a scratch golfer, yet their short game is so bad they are a twenty handicap overall, then kudos to you. Sure in your perfect world example something like that could happen, but the chances are so slim they aren't anywhere near anything that should be taken into account. Sure everyone has strengths and weaknesses, but to an extent of someone being at a scratch level with everything but short game, or even just irons and having everything else be that much worse, I don't think that has or ever will happen.

The lower the handicap, as a general overarching rule, the better the ball striker. A three handicap will be a better ball striker than a 15 or even 10 99 times out of a hundred.

I disagree with this. I know my example was extreme and you're right that it doesn't happen often if at all. I'll use myself as an example. I'm realistically an 18-20 capper. Every part of my game is good on some days, every part is bad on some days, a mix of good and bad on others. When I miss with an irons 9/10 times it is fat or thin, because of my shoulder dipping issue. Off-center strikes don't happen a ton. Would it be the best option, no, but I could make blades work if I really wanted to put the time and money into both the clubs and improving my ball striking. Handicap is not an appropriate way to dictate what clubs are best. As a very general rule you can assume RBZs are better for a 20 cap than TP MCs, but it's not always the case. Similarly, some argue a 20 capper has no business buying the RBZ Tour driver and he should always take the RBZ. Why? People assume tour means better. If his swing is in to out and he squares the club face, Tour is probably a better fit. Or the lower your driver loft the better you are myth. Or the more expensive your ball the better you are...

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

I disagree with this. I know my example was extreme and you're right that it doesn't happen often if at all. I'll use myself as an example. I'm realistically an 18-20 capper. Every part of my game is good on some days, every part is bad on some days, a mix of good and bad on others. When I miss with an irons 9/10 times it is fat or thin, because of my shoulder dipping issue. Off-center strikes don't happen a ton. Would it be the best option, no, but I could make blades work if I really wanted to put the time and money into both the clubs and improving my ball striking. Handicap is not an appropriate way to dictate what clubs are best. As a very general rule you can assume RBZs are better for a 20 cap than TP MCs, but it's not always the case. Similarly, some argue a 20 capper has no business buying the RBZ Tour driver and he should always take the RBZ. Why? People assume tour means better. If his swing is in to out and he squares the club face, Tour is probably a better fit. Or the lower your driver loft the better you are myth. Or the more expensive your ball the better you are...

Actually I would go 1 further and say that if the guy is a 20 handicapper - the club he is playing isnt going to be making that much of a difference, if any. Any thoughts of investing money in his golf game should be in lessons rather than butter knife blades or custom fit tour shafts that match the swing he had on that 1 particular fitting day

And please please do not take this as an insult to any 20 handicapper out there - we have all been there! I play with alot of guys at that level at the moment. It is not a slur on your golfing ability! It is an honest opinion

Actually I would go 1 further and say that if the guy is a 20 handicapper - the club he is playing isnt going to be making that much of a difference, if any. Any thoughts of investing money in his golf game should be in lessons rather than butter knife blades or custom fit tour shafts that match the swing he had on that 1 particular fitting day

I agree with you for the most part. But it does happen where a 20+ capper can have a very consistent bad swing, and properly fit clubs will make a difference. But without a consistent swing fitting is useless.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Hmmm. Fat and thin? Sounds like ball striking issues blades would only worsen to me. Although if the only issuer you have is dipping you shoulder, you should be playing blades in no time, then dropping the 18-20 hc to something more like 5.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

Hmmm. Fat and thin? Sounds like ball striking issues blades would only worsen to me. Although if the only issuer you have is dipping you shoulder, you should be playing blades in no time, then dropping the 18-20 hc to something more like 5.

No iron can do anything for fat and thin. Not one.

You continue to dwell on the handicap issue... an iron is not going to drop a handicap 15 strokes! Nor will a handicap dictate what iron one should play.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

No iron can do anything for fat and thin. Not one.

You continue to dwell on the handicap issue... an iron is not going to drop a handicap 15 strokes! Nor will a handicap dictate what iron one should play.

Never said it would. No need to pick at things that are besides the point.

Lower handicap=higher skill=better ball striking.

Higher handicap=lower skill=worse ball striking

Blades are for better ball strikers, not worse ball strikers. Hence, blades are for lower handicappers

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

I'll have to agree with Ice. Ball striking skills are not correctly represented by your HCP.

But you are right, they are rather the exception than the rule.

I play with 2 guys that use the MP62 and they are 23 and 26 (twin brothers by the way). I've never seen them mishit an iron shot... honestly, never! But they have about 3 or 4 OB's per round and a bunch of 4 putts.

That is the reason for their high HCP. The pro said that if they played a round with irons only and practiced their putting, they would easily come down to a 10. But they just won't listen. And that's fine... most of us are that stubborn :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I'll have to agree with Ice. Ball striking skills are not correctly represented by your HCP.

I play with 2 guys that use the MP62 and they are 23 and 26 (twin brothers by the way). I've never seen them mishit an iron shot... honestly, never! But they have about 3 or 4 OB's per round and a bunch of 4 putts.

That is the reason for their high HCP. The pro said that if they played a round with irons only and practiced their putting, they would easily come down to a 10. But they just won't listen. And that's fine... most of us are that stubborn :lol:

Perfect example there. Are the 23 and 26 their ages or handicaps? I assume handicaps... I think they could probably get away with blades couldn't they.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Haha yeah... those are handicaps...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Well sure there are exceptions, but your all missing the point. As a general rule,lower handicap players are better ball strikers, so they usually play less game improvement clubs. Obviously there are outliers, but that is besides the point.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

• SPY VIP

Well sure there are exceptions, but your all missing the point. As a general rule,lower handicap players are better ball strikers, so they usually play less game improvement clubs. Obviously there are outliers, but that is besides the point.

Your point is correct

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I would say hdcp, cuz he says that they are twin brothers..

:-)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Sigh..................

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

You'll have to excuse me if the "sigh........" is lost on me as I'm not as familiar with the computer lingo as some. Was this directed at me because I answered a question in your post? I was not trying to be a smart ass in answering that. Usually when a question is asked, and I didn't take it as rhetorical, someone answers it. I wasn't being cute. That's not my style.

If I've got something to say to ya, I'm not of the passive-aggressive nature, and I don't get cute with computer lingo, I'll come right at ya. There will be no doubt in your mind, regardless of your age or IQ.

So again, excuse me though I don't really get the "sigh......"

So please.....

Enlighten me

Fairways & Greens 4ever

LOL no not at all dude! That was a sigh at myself for my dumbness. We're all good!

I asked if it was their handicaps or ages, and the post said they were twins lol

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

I just didn't want ya to think that I was takin a shot, cuz I'd never do that. I'm sorry cuz like I said, I still don't understand some of the text in computers cuz it's hard to sometimes understand someone's meaning.

Have a good one

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Don't even need to apologize. No problems with misunderstandings.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

na i'm not buying this!

+1 no 20 handicapper has TOUR LIKE BALL STRIKING.....SORRY! They may loose a bunch of strokes in the short game area but no way on gods green earth does a 20 handicapper have anything close to resembling PGA Player Tour Skills.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Gee, I hate to rain on anyone's parade, step on your buzz, or piss in your Wheatie's, however these make the Mizzy MP-69s look like a true muscle back.LOL. I mean, I thought that the 69s had a malignancy on the face-back, however compared to this, they look great.

I understand that to make it beneficial from a money standpoint that they've got to expand the hdcp range that can hit them, but come on, if you've hit a true muscle back, and I'm talkin MP-68, Staff Fg59s or 62s, last year's Cobras, the Adams MB2s, or the Nike Vr Pro Blades, then this has gotta be a let down.

I mean sure, more guys are gonna be able to say, "I play blades," but come 'on, these aren't blades, any more than the 69s are blades, and I won a set of 69s. & wouldn't take 'em. I had 'em get me another set of 68s. Now that's a muscle back.

These? Please. They're an insult to anyone who's played a blade. And I don't care what pro's playin 'em.They're payin em millions to play 'em. Millions!! I mean, they're not garbage, but they're sure as hell not the best blades that Cobra has produced. Not even close.

You wanna see a real "blade," a "real" muscle back? Go to my thread(RPJ) in the "WIYB" section & look at the pictures of my Mizzy MP-68s or the Wilson Staff Fg59 at the end of the thread. Then tell me that these are in the same category. Come on...

Nuff Said

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Ma man - you do love a paint fill!!!!!

and yes the 68's are a thing of beauty!!!!!!

and as we revisted the original discussion, I play with a boy regularly plays off 1 and has done for years. Purest of ball strikers!!!!! and has grooved the middle of his Mizuno MP-32's (the quintessential blade) i'd like to see Mr 20 handicap look down on that 3 iron when he's got a 180 carry over water!

+1 no 20 handicapper has TOUR LIKE BALL STRIKING.....SORRY! They may loose a bunch of strokes in the short game area but no way on gods green earth does a 20 handicapper have anything close to resembling PGA Player Tour Skills.

Agreed. No one is just born with skills at that level. To develop skills to that level, no matter how talented you are takes endless hours of work. If one were to be invested enough in golf to make their iron play as good as a tour player, there is no way they will just ignore everything else. Just couldn't happen.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

a lot of us learned on blades cuz that's all that there was.

All there was? Man, what are you like a hundred years old? Just kidding. My dad learned on blades, he actually has been playing blades since recently when he got some much needed game improvements. Tried out the two iron in the set, which had virtually no muscle to it, it was entirely a blade, the thinnest iron I have every seen. Yikes, those range balls probably will not see such wild hits in their lives. I guess they say if you are caught in a thunderstorm to hold up your one iron because not even god can hit a one iron, but next time I play and there is a chance of rainstorms, I am throwing that two iron in the bag.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

Archived