TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Bettinardi Experience!

kygolfer1980

I am blown away at how fantastic the prizes were and how out of the way the sponsors and MGS went to make this such a great experience. After being fortunate enough to win the tour staff contest I knew I wanted to go to Bettinardi to be fitted for my putter. Of all the prizes, this was by FAR the one I looked forward to most. I love my putters, I'm a putter ho!! I have a custom Machine and a custom MannKrafted and am very fond of both. My want list also included a custom Byron Morgan and Bettinardi Tour Stock. I almost couldn't fathom when Keith(VP at Bettinardi) told me to let them know exactly what I wanted and they would build it. I mean no restrictions, he said anything they make goes. I thought a second about getting a boxcar but knew the BB8 was the style I liked best so I ultimately went with that. Threw out some ideas and Keith sent me a prototype within a day. We made a few tweaks and the process began. I ended up getting the DASS with the FIT face and a welded neck. Black oxide finish set it off very well in my own opinion. Black PVD shaft, Red grip, and white/red/black paintfill. I could not be happier with how it turned out. It looks even better than I had envisioned! Now on to the actual day of the fitting.

I got to Bettinardi on Mon, Nov 12th at 9 am. I had expected to get the fitting, take my putter and go. Once again, a contest sponsor went above and beyond. When I got there, Keith greeted me and took me up to the fitting studio. We talked golf for a bit and then Mike Orvis(who does the Bettinardi fittings) came up as well as Dusty(graphics/web design) to take some pics. They brought the putter out and I got to drool over it for the first time. Mike got me fit for the proper length which ended up being 33.5". I had originally decided on the red Iomic grip but they had just received the shipment of Pure putter grips and I really liked the look and feel. Rolled about 50 putts on their lab with Mike analyzing each stroke on the computer software. It was determined I needed 3 degrees loft and a 69 degree lie angle for optimal roll. It was the first time I had ever been fit for a putter. Pretty nice to know I have a putter optimized for my putting stroke. No more excuses... Mike then sweetened the deal by having me pick out a hat and towel after choosing a headcover. Certainly not expected but very much appreciated. Just another example of how great the sponsors were. I figured I would be leaving after this portion but Keith wanted to give me a rundown of their operation and a tour of the facility.

First we went to Keith's office and he showed me the process of developing a new design and the tweaks they may put on an existing design. Each model is evolved with slight changes most of us wouldn't even notice, they are constantly trying to make a better product. The new BB54 is going to be special. It's an updated model of the putter Furyk used to win the 2003 US Open. They made changes in weighting and several tour players are already interested in it. We then went for a tour and got to see the huge CNC machines used to mill the different heads. Each machine is dedicated to a specific model for a period of time. You would think they would be cranking them out like crazy but that is far from true. Bettinardi is a smaller division of a company owned by Mr. Bettinardi called Excel technologies. They make parts for the military so the tolerances are minute. They hold the same standard to their putters. Each machine can only produce 10-20 pieces per day but each one is near perfect. They won't accept anything less. Both the putters and military parts are made under the same roof right across the aisle from each other. They also have a smaller CNC machine that makes all the custom and tour putters. Really cool that my putter was made in the same machine they would make one for Matt Kuchar or Jim Furyk. we toured the rest of the facility and I got to see the steel stock the use. Mr. Bettinardi was in the machine shop and was as nice as he could have been. I thanked him for the opportunity and he thanked me for coming up to the studio. Are you kidding me, he's thanking me for coming up there? I learned something as well. DASS actually stands for Double Annealed Stainless Steel which is a process where they actually heat it twice to leach the impurities from the metal. It makes a higher quality putter with a softer feel and is more consistent to mill. Double Aged is what everyone thinks it stands for and it kind of stuck. All of the paintfill is still done by hand, it takes a patient person with steady hands to this job. They are in the process of getting stocked up for the 2013 release and I got to go to the shipping area and see all of them. Imagine a couple hundred Bettinardi's in front of you separated by model. A beautiful site to a golf lover. They fill their own orders and pack them right there.

Bettinardi is not a huge operation but it's independent form OEM contracts now and they are growing. I like Scotty Cameron putter's and have owned several but put one next to a Betti and u can tell the difference in quality to detail. I can't imagine another company in GOLF puts as much pride in putting out as good of a product as possible for us to buy. Seriously consider a Bettinardi next time u wanna make a putter purchase. I guarantee you won't be disappointed! Thanks again to Tony and MGS for putting on the contest, winning it was a dream comne true! I would also like to give Keith from Betti another thank you. His communication through the whole process was second to none and he was a great host. This day was on of the best golf experiences I have ever had. I thoroughly enjoyed it! I'm sure I left some details out that will come to me later. Can't wait to get my putter out on the links. Here is the finished product.

Bett3.JPG

Bett5.JPG

Bett2.JPG

Bett4.JPG

betti5.JPG

Bett1.JPG

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Dear Matt,

I hate you.

-T

I told Keith how jealous u were a couple of times. Maybe he will hook u up with a Christmas present?

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Great write up Matt. I'm jealous that you were in Chicago - I love that place, went to college there for a time and spent tons and tons of time there when I lived in Indiana and Wisconsin - just love that place.

Ho or no I can't imagine why you would ever bag another putter than one from Bettinardi with your name on it.

That is the plum of this contest beyond a doubt. Why couldn't more people have voted for me? ;) :(

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Looks even better considering that its KU crimson instead of UK blue!

Great experience, I'm seriously jealous. That putter is amazing. Now you might have to make sure you carry it in with you at the turn unless your playing somewhere real nice!

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

I'd never take that thing on the course. Frame it in a bulletproof case and hang it above your bed so you can stare at it till you fall asleep then dream about it all night.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I'd never take that thing on the course. Frame it in a bulletproof case and hang it above your bed so you can stare at it till you fall asleep then dream about it all night.

Very big conundrum :) It's so nice you want to frame it, but it was fit perfectly for you.

Personally, I'd play it and really enjoy every minute with it.

I'd play it - the club is built for him - why not play it? Isn't it meant to be played - seems like it would be a shame to hang it on the wall - you could play it and hang it on the wall when you're not playing, couldn't you?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Of all the prizes in this contest, this is the one I was drooling over. Thanks for the photos and write up.

If MyGolfSpy wants ideas for future contests, a custom putter is always a great prize. Hint. Hint.

I second that!

Nudge. Nudge

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

Framing a putter like that would be like getting a brand new Ferrari and leavin it in the poor garage! After all that it would be a crime not to play it!

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

I will game this putter for sure. It looks amazing but was built to roll in putts.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Framing a putter like that would be like getting a brand new Ferrari and leavin it in the poor garage! After all that it would be a crime not to play it!

I think it would be pretty awesome to have a brand new Ferrari not in the garage but being displayed in the foyer of my mansion. But of course if I can afford a brand new Ferrari I can probably afford 2. One to use and one to display.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

What a cool experience, thanks for sharing it in such detail!

PS: I'm beginning to hate you as well

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

By the way, what is your address? When do you get out of work? Do you have any dogs? Cats? ADT?

Just wondering for no particular reason. ;)

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

All I can say is someone needs to get their butt over to the Bettinardi Studio and get same treatment.... lol. Seriously nice putter you got yourself there Matt. Now next time Bettinardi wants to make a custom putter for someone who truly love the putting game like Matt, please can count me in! Being a plumber by trade I can appreciate the amount of time it takes to do things by hand. Also it's nice to see when someone cares about quality and doesn't just pump out 100's of putters a day. I love the attention to the small details. Also I love the Bee's Killer and Bumble. More Bee's the better!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

All I can say is someone needs to get their butt over to the Bettinardi Studio and get same treatment.... lol. Seriously nice putter you got yourself there Matt. Now next time Bettinardi wants to make a custom putter for someone who truly love the putting game like Matt, please can count me in! Being a plumber by trade I can appreciate the amount of time it takes to do things by hand. Also it's nice to see when someone cares about quality and doesn't just pump out 100's of putters a day. I love the attention to the small details. Also I love the Bee's Killer and Bumble. More Bee's the better!

You would truly appreciate their obsession with making the perfect flatstick. Bettinardi, MannKrafted, Byron, Machine, the list goes on for the smaller operations that make amazing putters. I love all the custom work.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

• SPY VIP

That is a great stick!

I think that Bettinardi is definitely one of the top putter shops out there. If the price of the Tour Stock putter is too rich, people need to check out the BB and Studio stock lines as well. One of my favorite putters from last year was the BB35. The 2011 BB27 and BB33 are both members of the Golfspy Dave putter garage. I think I remember picking up the BB33 for about $100 on ebay from SecondSwing.

You can get Bettinardi sticks w/o winning a cool contest or dropping lots of coin.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

That is a great stick!

I think that Bettinardi is definitely one of the top putter shops out there. If the price of the Tour Stock putter is too rich, people need to check out the BB and Studio stock lines as well. One of my favorite putters from last year was the BB35. The 2011 BB27 and BB33 are both members of the Golfspy Dave putter garage. I think I remember picking up the BB33 for about $100 on ebay from SecondSwing.

You can get Bettinardi sticks w/o winning a cool contest or dropping lots of coin.

Great point. One of the things that a lot of people don't realize is that ALL Bettinardi putters, from the oldies, Mizunos, BB's, SS's, all the way to the Tour Stock stuff: IT'S ALL MADE IN THE SAME PLACE. There's no secret sauce that only goes on the $1,000 putters. They're ALL made to super high tolerances. The big benefit of the Tour Stock is being able to get new/different models, different engravings/stampings/face millings/etc. And the collectibility, of course, but when you're talking about the putter itself, they're ALL good.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Great point. One of the things that a lot of people don't realize is that ALL Bettinardi putters, from the oldies, Mizunos, BB's, SS's, all the way to the Tour Stock stuff: IT'S ALL MADE IN THE SAME PLACE. There's no secret sauce that only goes on the $1,000 putters. They're ALL made to super high tolerances. The big benefit of the Tour Stock is being able to get new/different models, different engravings/stampings/face millings/etc. And the collectibility, of course, but when you're talking about the putter itself, they're ALL good.

Yes, the putter heads in the cabinet for the tour stocks were blank heads that were a bit heavier. That way they could tweak them accordingly for weight, etc. Same heads as sig series though. Each one as beautiful as the previous.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

There's a bettinardi dealer/production area in Wichita ks, which I fly into or out of every summer, and have chances of getting there around thanksgiving times. This thread has convinced me to find a little more out about this place, maybe to get myself in there next summer for a fitting. Nothing in the bag more personal and important than the putter, and these things are works of art. I'm about ready to start setting money aside so I can get one ordered come summer. Great company from everything I've heard, and this thread only reinforces that. Just fantastic.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

There's a bettinardi dealer/production area in Wichita ks, which I fly into or out of every summer, and have chances of getting there around thanksgiving times. This thread has convinced me to find a little more out about this place, maybe to get myself in there next summer for a fitting. Nothing in the bag more personal and important than the putter, and these things are works of art. I'm about ready to start setting money aside so I can get one ordered come summer. Great company from everything I've heard, and this thread only reinforces that. Just fantastic.

You won't regret it if u get one.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Wow, beautiful. I'm glad to hear you will be gaming this putter. Best of luck with it!

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

You won't regret it if u get one.

Can't imagine a possibility I will. Although I would be paranoid everywhere that it might be stolen. I'd probably invest in some gps tracking system just in case..lol. Definetely pondering though, can't wait come summer, should have the funds by then. I already was considering it, and this thread has made me that much more interested.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

That sounds like a heck of a trip. They would have to drag me out of there. Hopefully not checking what was in the bag I would be dragging behind me.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Got to play an actual round with the Betti yesterday for the first time. I think I had 31 putts but the number is misleading. Missed several greens on the fringes. It felt great though. Once I get the feel for it I think I will be a better lag putter certainly. Short putts are more about mechanics for me and I have thought about going LHL on short putts because I get a little quick with the traditional reverse overlap. Tend to cut across and push it or pull it instead of letting the putter release naturally.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Archived