Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What GPS unit is right for me

I have never used a GPS unit (for golf) nor played with anyone who has one. I don't really know where to start or what would be right for me. The things I'm looking for include:

Accurate distances including hazards, traps, etc. (obviously)

Ability to log club distances to hone in on how I hit each club

Ability to log scores, GIR, fairways hit, putts, etc.

A GPS unit that will have the necessary imagery, software, etc. for the courses I play

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated since right now I really have no direction.

• SPY VIP

I have the basic GOlfLogix model and it has been a huge help during the past year. However, it does not log scores and stats. When I was looking at them before, the uPro was at the top of my wish list, but the courses available were not up to the numbers of the others at the time. Hopefully in the last year this has changed.

Golf Guru may be another one to look at. http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

I believe the On Par Golf GPS has all of those features. There's rumors of a uPro update that would add similar capabilities as well.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I have never used a GPS unit (for golf) nor played with anyone who has one. I don't really know where to start or what would be right for me. The things I'm looking for include:

Accurate distances including hazards, traps, etc. (obviously)

A GPS unit that will have the necessary imagery, software, etc. for the courses I play

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated since right now I really have no direction.

It sounds like you are looking for the SkyCaddie SGX. It is not available right now, but should start to show up in stores in about a month. It does all the tasks you are looking for, and has the most accurate maps of any golf GPS company.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

You might to consider splitting your stat keeping requirement and go with something else for that. If you have a smartphone, particularly iPhone or Android based, there are plenty of low cost apps for tracking and analyzing stats.

Doing that might allow you to pick the best GPS that has the best combo of features for tracking yardages without limiting yourself to just devices that do stat tracking. Just food for thought.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• 2 months later...

Is anyone using the Garmin G3 or G5? Of the research I've done, this looks like a good option, although they do not have my home course. When I emailed to find out if they would add it, they said they are "working on it" and they update quarterly - I'm not sure what that means, but if I can't get it until July or August, it's not worth it for me - I can only play golf through Sept/Oct.

Just wondering if anyone could share experiences...thanks!

If they don't have your home course, they are not a good option until they have it. I would not rely on a company's promise to "work on it", it could be months or years before they get to it.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I purchased a SkyCaddie SG 3.5 a few months ago through a forum buy/sell/swap.

Price...$100. It was perhaps one of the best golf accessories I have ever purchased.

Now while not current state of the art it performs remarkably well.

It has all the bells and whistles, scoring, etc. but for me all I am concerned about is distance from tee and distance to pin. I have all the other doo dahs disabled.

My playing partners initially rolled their eyes - " Rob's got a new toy..." but damn if they don't dbl check with me when it comes to approach distances.

Time involved with checking yardage is zero, okay maybe as quickly as it takes to glance at the screen, but thats about it - no having to view a pin/spot through a laser - you get an immediate readout.

I would suggest that you peruse the various forums, possibly ebay - you should be able to pick one up for a reasonable cost.

There is a fee for the S/C ($25 for my state for the year), not even a consideration when I factor what a new box of balls cost me.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

I just bought a uPro Go from a left coast distributor for $235 including shipping. It usually goes for $299 + S&H. I've dropped about 3 shots a round just by knowing what club to put in my hands!!

Ping G20 Driver & 4, 7 Wood, Dynacraft 4,5,6Hybrid, PingZing2 6-9, PW, SW

Right now I am using an Izzo Swami and have been for the past two seasons. For $100 and $10 activation fee you can't go wrong! It doesn't have the features that all of the top brands, (Garmin, Upro, Bushnell, etc) have but it is enough to help shave strokes. The Swami gives you Front, Middle and Back of the green which for the average golf is plenty to help select the right club. It stores up to 10 courses at a time and automatically recognizes the course you're playing on power-up. Easy to use buttons and a large display allows you to quickly cycle from hole to hole for quicker play Yea it's nice to have all the extra features but how often do they really get used?

I would highly recommend this unit to anyone.

swami.jpg

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I am using an Izzo Swami and have been for the past two seasons. For $100 and $10 activation fee you can't go wrong! It doesn't have the features that all of the top brands, (Garmin, Upro, Bushnell, etc) have but it is enough to help shave strokes. The Swami gives you Front, Middle and Back of the green which for the average golf is plenty to help select the right club. It stores up to 10 courses at a time and automatically recognizes the course you're playing on power-up. Easy to use buttons and a large display allows you to quickly cycle from hole to hole for quicker play Yea it's nice to have all the extra features but how often do they really get used?

I would highly recommend this unit to anyone.

I totally agree with gkatshoots. I've got the Izzo Swami and for my caliber of play (not a very good caliber really) it works great! When I get to the point that I can hit an iron within 3 yards of "exactly" where I want it to go, I might upgrade, but till then the Swami works great. :)

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

The Bushnell Yardage Pro XGC is a great product. I have had one for over a year now. Has all the features you asked for:

1. Front Center Back distances

2. Course Imagery,

3. Yearly memebership fee is very affordable. I think its 39 bucks for the year. Pretty much all the courses.

4. Scorecard feature

5. Other features as well.

Product Link

Have a good one.

Smooth7Iron

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As mcwhiteh said at the top of this post sequence

"Accurate distances including hazards, traps, etc. (obviously)

A GPS unit that will have the necessary imagery, software, etc. for the courses I play"

I want to use GPS not only for knowing about the course, distances etc. BUT taking the information back onto a PC so I can do some analysis on my game. Not just GIR, FH etc. but also performance fades, excessive fades(slices), draws, heavy draws (hooks).

This info is also useful to my coach and can I play back shots onto say a google earth type map.

Do any of the big commercial products allow this? SGX, GolfLogix, Callaway, Garmin, Shotmiser, Sonocaddie etc.

It would be a major differentiator or maybe one of the newer phone based systems?

• 1 month later...

I bought a Callaway UPRO about a year ago and could not be happier. It has all the bells and whistles, no annual membership fee. All the courses are free for basic mode, which is all some one really needs, but, you can purchase the Pro mode courses once and they are yours for ever. I picked it up new on Ebay for 220 dollars canadian. It has some great extra features that the others don't. I did alot of research and went with the UPRO, not the UPRO Go. I just got back a few days ago from a month golf vacation in Pheonix, Arizona, and it was a shot saver on these courses i never played before. Happy golfing.

Don

Archived