Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

In For Review - Mizuno JPX-825 Pro Irons

Tony Covey MGS

Ironically I did hit the 53's last week - one of the guys whom I was playing with has them. Very sweet looking club - his are tour stiff but I was able to hit the few shots I tried with them - I wouldn't want to trust that set up all the time but I got the feel of them.

In regards to the work my time is limited as is everyone elses - I prefer to devote my practice time to around the green - I think part of my slump was due to less time around the green as I was adjusting to new equipment - lately I've been spending more time around the green and my game is starting to come back -

Funny how you hit more good shots when you are confident that you will make the putts at the end of them or to clean up those few mistakes. :)

We continue to pray for your health issues to be put to bed Richard. It's all we want for Christmas!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine a few days before Christmas, and have only had one range session with them. So far the combo of 825 pro with KBS Tour shafts seems to really fit my swing. Great feel and forgiveness for a relatively compact head size. So far very pleased.

I got my set in early November and have played several rounds with them. 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 2* upright, std length and grip. I was looking at the MP-59's but after an extensive trackman fitting on the range I could not help but to go with the JPX 825 Pros. The consistency and tight dispersion, coupled with the great distance and good feel made them a better choice for me. I hit the 59s well, but not as long, nor as consistently. The feel of the 825 Pros are not as good as the Bridgestone J40 CBs I had but are really close to the MP-59 sensation except with more "springiness" from the hotter face.

I love the look of the clubs because the design of the grinds and cuts on top-line, edges, and sole and satin finish of the top trick the eye into making the head appear smaller than it really is. They really inspire confidence at address without looking or feeling chunky. The offset is about the same as the 59s. They interact with the turf really cleanly.

Long and short, I have dropped about 5 shots per round because my good iron shots are more plentiful and my misses are longer and less off line. This often translates to edge of the green instead of the bunker or long grass. Therefore earlier chips, shorter putts, more ups and downs. Biggest adjustment is learning new distances and gaps because I an hitting these about 1.5 to 2 clubs longer than my J40s (same shafts).

Having previously played the MX-23 I can say the JPX 825 Pros are way better in distance, looks, accuracy, feel, you name it. I encourage anyone to check them out.

Max

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

Welcome Max - what do you say about a guy who's first post has to do with his Mizunos?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Welcome Max - what do you say about a guy who's first post has to do with his Mizunos?

Hi, RevKev. I guess you could say that I've found the right place. I've read and enjoyed your posts (and others') for a little while. Been looking forward to joining the conversations and noticed a lot of Mizuno fans and probably the most knowledgable golf community on the web. Thanks for the welcome. Hope to learn a few things and have fun talking about golf and equipment. I kind of have a bit of a problem with golf clubs. Maybe we all do.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Max, I couldn't agree more. I actually bought the 59's and still switched to the 825pro. If it can get me to walk away from the 59, it's gotta be good.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Max, I couldn't agree more. I actually bought the 59's and still switched to the 825pro. If it can get me to walk away from the 59, it's gotta be good.

Max is right we all do! But there are worse vices right?

How would you compare the 59's with the pros in regards to ball flight and playability HighFade? Also have you hit the 53's and where do they fit in for you?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The 825pro is higher, longer, and straighter. (Kind of what you'd expect from a full cavity). It's not super easy to work the ball with the 825pro, but I'm not much for working it. I like a straight ball. Haven't hit the 53.

Mishit a 59, and everyone knows it. Mishit an 825pro, and you're the only one who knows. Just hold your pose, and say thanks when people say 'nice shot'

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

For you guys that have had an opportunity to hit your 825 pros on real turf, how did you find the turf interaction? Could someone explain what the triple cut sole does? I've read these are good clubs for people whose miss is fat, because the sole helps to prevent digging, and was wondering if you had found that to be the case. Thanks.

I have played several rounds and can report that the triple cut sole helps to:

1. minimize divot depth, even on steeper swings.

2. reduce harshness of vibration when taking a divot by not having to force as much steel through the dirt.

3. help in set up when slightly closing or opening the face to hit a hard hook or cut.

This reminds me that I wanted to say that while I'm still getting used to the new clubs, I have been able to work the ball when desired and really feel that I can almost paint with these clubs. It's possible to control trajectory (low, high, medium) and hit small fades to hard slices and baby draws to slinging hooks. I've escaped bad tee shots into the trees and hit on to the green in regulation multiple times simply because the clubs, despite having great forgiveness, allow you to visualize and execute almost any shot shape. I think the shafts I've got help too.

What's in the Bag:

I've been struggling with some fat shots lately but I doubt that has anything to do with my clubs - The turf interaction is fine with these - nice shallow divot when I'm hitting them well.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Enjoy Whiskey - I'm about to drop my off for some loft adjustments on the shorter irons. I've got project x graphites in mine - regardless you're going to enjoy them.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

RP I'm getting them strengthened because there's a gap between them and the JPX's that I have as my 6 and 7 iron - I need the 8 and 9 2 degrees and the PW and GW 1 degree to even out my yardage gaps.

Here's how things work - I just got back to work from my week off and checked my church mailbox - there's a gift certificate to Golfsmith that covers the strengthening on the nose - no wonder the guy looked at me funny when I dropped them off - he's a member and he gave me the gift but I paid cash - so now I still have $25 to spend which of course will end up being 50 - perhaps I'll wait for the new TP ball and buy a box. B)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I just hit these things today for about 3-4 hours and they are really nice, solid clubs. Looking forward to giving them a go on the course. Also, the fact that they were fit for me helped out a lot, I haven't got fit for anything since 2 years ago and my swing wasn't consistent back then.

Archived