ULTIMATE FAIRWAY REVIEW (video added)

• SPY VIP

I mentioned in another thread on this topic that I own the Mizuno MP650 fairway wood. I can attest that the distance is truly remarkable. I am hitting it off the tee near my driver. I picked up 25 yards compared to the R9 TP I was previously gaming. A couple of comments:

*** I am very interested to hear about the accuracy comments and results that will be posted tomorrow. This wood has an open face and fade weighting , so I would not be surprised to see the accuracy numbers off. Also, the stock shaft is a beast (to me) - very stiff to flex and boardy. I replaced it with an Excaliber fairway wood shaft, and the difference in ball flight, feel, and accuracy is staggering. I went from hitting push slices with the stock shaft to nice tight draws with the Excaliber.

*** I assume part of the review will cover looks. This is where I think this fairway wood will shine compared to the RBZ. It is a classic, simple, pleasing design.

I can't wait for the rest of the review - great stuff.

On day 3 we're going to cover the aesthetic qualities of the clubs. It's something we decided not to score...that is to say the results of our subjective surveys do not factor into the overall score, but we are going to briefly discuss some of the things our testers liked and didn't like about the clubs.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good read- can't wait to see the rest of the review. I was surprised by the performance (or lack of) of the XCG5. And like everyone has already said, it's too bad about the XTD. I may be in the market to replace my Adams Fast 10 (just because), so this is timely. Thanks again for the great info.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

• SPY VIP

Good read- can't wait to see the rest of the review. I was surprised by the performance (or lack of) of the XCG5. And like everyone has already said, it's too bad about the XTD. I may be in the market to replace my Adams Fast 10 (just because), so this is timely. Thanks again for the great info.

The XCG5 is an absolute puzzler to me...especially when it came to Brian. He'd hit ball after ball that sounded absolutely pure, the ball would appear to be in the air forever, and the numbers came back and it just didn't go anywhere. Time and time again, and almost tester after tester. We did everything we could to bring the spin down and the distance up, but nothing panned out.

All of this...the entire test really, reaffirms the notion that everyone should get custom fit.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Great review so far. What would be the possibility of listing the specs of each club for the testers? For example shaft length would be of great interest to me, as it seems that may have some effect.

Stunned about the tour edge xcg5. Stunned.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

Aside from the content, I would like to give a shout out to the writing of the blog. It was a great read, and can be read simply for its entertainment value, not to mention there may be some useful information in there.

I am not turned on by distance on a fairway wood. To me it ease of hitting it off the deck and sole design. Distance, to me, comes from the shaft, I am sure the face has some effect on it, but if I can not hit it off the deck consistantly than what difference does it make how far it goes off the tee. I already have a driver for that. But that does not mean that I did not care, it is just not as important.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

Nit picky editor mode engaged

RBZ section

"and perhaps picking up some additional yards due to rule". I presume that should be roll?

J40 section

"Our testers produced high-average launch angles (14.86°), and average spin (1407.26)." 3407.26?

On another note, I've gushed about it before but I really enjoy the charts at the end. The data being the findings makes all the comments snappier.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

Nit picky editor mode engaged

RBZ section

"and perhaps picking up some additional yards due to rule". I presume that should be roll?

J40 section

"Our testers produced high-average launch angles (14.86°), and average spin (1407.26)." 3407.26?

On another note, I've gushed about it before but I really enjoy the charts at the end. The data being the findings makes all the comments snappier.

FML - both of those errors were caught (and fixed) last night. Unfortunately X and I were stepping on each other's toes (him with banners, me with last minute edits). His banners won, my edits lost. I went back through this AM, but clearly I missed a couple. Dammit.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm trying to be less of a half-ass with these details.

Great review so far. What would be the possibility of listing the specs of each club for the testers? For example shaft length would be of great interest to me, as it seems that may have some effect.

Stunned about the tour edge xcg5. Stunned.

Have you ever even hit the XCG5? I wasn't impressed at all. It's place does not surprise me. The CB line is where TEE shines.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

• SPY VIP

Have you ever even hit the XCG5? I wasn't impressed at all. It's place does not surprise me. The CB line is where TEE shines.

They are most definitely very distinct product lines. Still...given how good the CB line is, coming up that short was surprising to me.

Great read so far, can't wait to see how the rest of the article turns out.

I'll put up a 2nd vote for see specs of all the clubs that were actually tested. I'm guessing maybe that comes at the end?

Also maybe I just missed it, but where were the testers hitting off of? Mats, grass, tee's?

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I've hit the XCG5. Used it a lot actually, on the course, range and simulator. Extremely long, at least for me. Others that tried were either very long or didn't hit it well at all. It's not a club that I get average numbers with, it's long or nothing.

And - great review :D Love to read stuff like this. An inspiration.

• SPY VIP

Great read so far, can't wait to see how the rest of the article turns out.

I'll put up a 2nd vote for see specs of all the clubs that were actually tested. I'm guessing maybe that comes at the end?

Also maybe I just missed it, but where were the testers hitting off of? Mats, grass, tee's?

Specs are a little hairy in some cases. We work within time windows, so there was quite a bit of try this and try that, and we found the fit we rolled with it, and weren't necessarily concerned about every specification we ended up with (at least to the this guy hit exactly this degree). In hindsight I should probably have written down each spec, but man...we were up against it in every possible way.

I can tell you for example that for the TaylorMade clubs we leveraged 13, 14.5 and 15.5 degree heads. Cobra and Callaway clubs were ultimately hit in each of the 3 positions by somebody. There was quite a bit of mix and match with the Titleist, and interesting (from a fitting standpoint) we found that for loft anyway, we came very close to matching up with what the guys hit in the RBZs.

Companies sent a variety of shafts. Some mid-range, some higher-end, and some stock. In one case, the tester actually got his best results with the stock shaft in the RAZR Fit (go figure). Callaway also provided Fuji Blur and GD Tour AD-DI shafts. The UST Prforce VTS line (different flexes and torques) was used in Bridgestone and TourEdge heads (we also had some stock in the TE). We also tried a ATTAS 3 in one of the Bridgestone 5 woods (but it didn't prove to be the best fit for anyone). TaylorMade relied heavily on Matrix. Nike sent a mix of Oban Devotion, 'Ahina, and Fubuki. Titleist sent us each of their stock offerings. Mizuno, and Cobra sent stock only.

What some may find surprising is that even with sometimes a healthy variety to choose from, very often (not always) we saw very little appreciable difference in the numbers from shaft to shaft, and often when the numbers were similar we deferred to the feel component.

Most clubs were sent stock length, and the TaylorMade clubs actually measured about 1/4" below spec. I could do some measuring, but I think we're talking about 1/4" across the board, and at no point did I ever become concerned that one company was trying to rig the outcome by sending us anything outside of spec (and yes...even I was probably most suspicious of TM).

3 woods were hit off tees (which is why spin rates are not dissimilar from drivers). Our testers hit 5 woods off the mats (very nice mats, not typical range quality), but for reasons I'll touch on tomorrow we didn't gather data for 5 woods like we normally would.

Specs are a little hairy in some cases. We work within time windows, so there was quite a bit of try this and try that, and we found the fit we rolled with it, and weren't necessarily concerned about every specification we ended up with (at least to the this guy hit exactly this degree). In hindsight I should probably have written down each spec, but man...we were up against it in every possible way.

I can tell you for example that for the TaylorMade clubs we leveraged 13, 14.5 and 15.5 degree heads. Cobra and Callaway clubs were ultimately hit in each of the 3 positions by somebody. There was quite a bit of mix and match with the Titleist, and interesting (from a fitting standpoint) we found that for loft anyway, we came very close to matching up with what the guys hit in the RBZs.

Companies sent a variety of shafts. Some mid-range, some higher-end, and some stock. In one case, the tester actually got his best results with the stock shaft in the RAZR Fit (go figure). Callaway also provided Fuji Blur and GD Tour AD-DI shafts. The UST Prforce VTS line (different flexes and torques) was used in Bridgestone and TourEdge heads (we also had some stock in the TE). We also tried a ATTAS 3 in one of the Bridgestone 5 woods (but it didn't prove to be the best fit for anyone). TaylorMade relied heavily on Matrix. Nike sent a mix of Oban Devotion, 'Ahina, and Fubuki. Titleist sent us each of their stock offerings. Mizuno, and Cobra sent stock only.

What some may find surprising is that even with sometimes a healthy variety to choose from, very often (not always) we saw very little appreciable difference in the numbers from shaft to shaft, and often when the numbers were similar we deferred to the feel component.

Most clubs were sent stock length, and the TaylorMade clubs actually measured about 1/4" below spec. I could do some measuring, but I think we're talking about 1/4" across the board, and at no point did I ever become concerned that one company was trying to rig the outcome by sending us anything outside of spec (and yes...even I was probably most suspicious of TM).

3 woods were hit off tees (which is why spin rates are not dissimilar from drivers). Our testers hit 5 woods off the mats (very nice mats, not typical range quality), but for reasons I'll touch on tomorrow we didn't gather data for 5 woods like we normally would.

Thanks for the quick response T. Sometimes I forget how much work actually goes into these things and how easy it is for me to sit in my office chair and ask why this? or why not that?

I'm not trying to second guess anything you guys did. I really really appreciate all the reviews, write-ups and hard work that you guys put into this site. Keep it up!!

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the quick response T. Sometimes I forget how much work actually goes into these things and how easy it is for me to sit in my office chair and ask why this? or why not that?

I'm not trying to second guess anything you guys did. I really really appreciate all the reviews, write-ups and hard work that you guys put into this site. Keep it up!!

No worries. Every review has always been imperfect, which is why we're never short for ideas, and why we can continuously make it better.

Sometimes the comments can get frustrating, but once we learned to accept that everyone will read from a unique perspective, and that we can't be all things to all people it gets easier.

There's always going to be why this and not that...I do it myself sometimes. To answer all of our own questions would take more testing time than we can reasonably allot to any single project...and then the write-up... If X didn't keep my under control I could probably do 20K words per day for 3 days.

It's sometimes hard to give you the numbers without getting bogged down in them myself.

I hate to ask but am curious if T or anyone else has a sense on the yardage difference between a 3 wood hit off the turf and off a tee?

I was pretty disappointed when I read the yardage averages per club - I don't hit a three wood anywhere near that long - that is off the turf. Off of a tee I'm not going to average any 250 but I could be in the low 230's.

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

I hate to ask but am curious if T or anyone else has a sense on the yardage difference between a 3 wood hit off the turf and off a tee?

I was pretty disappointed when I read the yardage averages per club - I don't hit a three wood anywhere near that long - that is off the turf. Off of a tee I'm not going to average any 250 but I could be in the low 230's.

Hey Rev - Not sure if it helps, but instead of looking at how far they hit all the clubs, I just looked at the comparison between them. Think of the RBZ as 0 and then everything else is -2, -3, -11 etc...

Actually maybe that should be the new review standard for distance. Everything is either + or - RBZ distance. I just cranked that one RBZ +13yds!!

I do appreciate the point HM - I'm not so concerned about the yardage either and was being tongue and cheeck as much as anything else in regards to the distance. I'm used to not being as long as the better players that I play with or sometimes even that not so good better players that I play with. I'm long enough though and sometimes I can be rather sneaky.

However I can't get anywhere near 250 with a 3 wood off the turf - I was hitting it over 230 off the turf when I tested my new 3 wood at tpc Sawgrass but that was off a mat with some help from the wind - I'm able to hit it over 220 off the real turf which is much longer than before and I'm hitting it 230 plus off the tee so that's great.

Interestingly it was supposed to be a RocketBlz with an R11 shaft but somehow it came as an R11 and I just couldn't bother T another time - it's a 3 wood, it's better than my old 3 wood and so I'm going to live with it - in fact I'm rather fond of it - today - we'll see how I feel about it tomorrow because I have to hit it 3 or 4 times at TPC Tampa Bay - at least 3 tee shots and one second shot on a par 5 if the tees are back - that's just to give me a short enough iron into the green to have some sort of a shot at putting my 3rd shot on - even the pros have trouble holding that stupid green when they're here for the Champion's tour event.

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

On day 3 we're going to cover the aesthetic qualities of the clubs. It's something we decided not to score...that is to say the results of our subjective surveys do not factor into the overall score, but we are going to briefly discuss some of the things our testers liked and didn't like about the clubs.

I can see not factoring the aesthetics into the final score. But all things equal (or near equal as it comes to distance and accuracy), I'll choose the better looking club every time!

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

I think this is the absolutely best review I have seen. It's so relevant to my needs as I am in the market for a 3 wood, not just any 3 wood, but the longest I can find. I almost bought the Exotics because of it's prior reputation for being the longest. But thankfully this review came in and made me rethink my options.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Wow, very interesting. I was under the impression that on the RBZ there were slightly longer shafts than normal to increase swing speed. Thanks for the great review so far, looking forward to tomorrow's.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars