TESTERS WANTED! ×

I have developed a horrific snap hook with my driver...help!

TheDogboy

First off all hello everyone!!!

Shame to ask for advice with my first post but I need help!!!

Im off 5, that's a British 5 so probably about +4 in america!! B)

Recently virtually every drive I hit is either a viscous snap hook or a large draw. All other clubs are fine and in fact I hot my three wood very well.

Facts about me that may help - I'm quite a big hitter with a very strong grip and play a Cobra ZL with XS oban shaft 9.5 degrees.

I know my grip probably isnt helping but would this make a huge difference as I dont seem to do it with other clubs! Also moved from 10.5 degree driver to 9.5 degree so not sure if that has made a difference!!

Thanks!!!

Driver: Cobra ZL Encore White 9.5* with Oban Kiyoshi XS shaft & ]Golf Pride multicompound whiteout grip

3-Wood: Taylor Made Burner 2 White 15* with stock S shaft & Golf Pride multicompound whiteout grip

Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo 23* with stock R shaft & Golf Pride multicompound whiteout grip

Irons: 3 Iron - Mizuno MP-H4 1* upright with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft & Golf Pride patriot grip

5-PW - Titleist CB 712 1* upright with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts & Golf Pride patriot grips

Wedges: Titleist SM4 52*, 56*, 60* with stock Dynamic Gold shafts & Golf Pride patriot grips

Putter: Corza Ghost Spider 34" with white Iomic grip

Ball: ProV1X with "DOGBOY" stamped on it

Welcome Dog Boy

There is nothing wrong with asking for advice anytime as long as you tell us how you like the Mizuno H4 3 iron and if you have any comparison to the Fli Hi.

Obviously, to get to a 5 you have a repeatable good swing. Grip is a huge part of it. I intentionally strengthen or weaken my grip to change the ball flight. Yesterday into a 25 mph I knew I could not reach the corner so I attempted to hit through a gap in the trees. I had done this the day before and I ended up with a two putt par. I took a really strong grip and snap hooked it. And hit a tree and got to play my second shot from the forward tee box.

So review you fundamentals. Grip, Ball, Position, Alignment, etc.

Anymore advice we would need a video of you swing.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Welcome Dog Boy

There is nothing wrong with asking for advice anytime as long as you tell us how you like the Mizuno H4 3 iron and if you have any comparison to the Fli Hi.

Obviously, to get to a 5 you have a repeatable good swing. Grip is a huge part of it. I intentionally strengthen or weaken my grip to change the ball flight. Yesterday into a 25 mph I knew I could not reach the corner so I attempted to hit through a gap in the trees. I had done this the day before and I ended up with a two putt par. I took a really strong grip and snap hooked it. And hit a tree and got to play my second shot from the forward tee box.

So review you fundamentals. Grip, Ball, Position, Alignment, etc.

Anymore advice we would need a video of you swing.

Thanks for your reply!

Well I cant advise on the H4 compared to the older fli hi as I never had one BUT I really like the H4 as a standalone club - I was lucky to get one as they got recalled (managed to buy a reps model). It is maybe a little chunkier at address than i thought it would be but seems very forgiving and has a lovely flight (great off the tee and off a tight lie)

Thanks for the advice as well. I think my grip certainly doesn't help but I cant get my head round why the snapper only comes out with the driver. I have heard lots of advice saying having 9.5 degress of loft doesn't help or swing speed or the length of the club is making my swing be a little out.

I should get myself videoed but it may be painful viewing!!!! :unsure:

Driver: Cobra ZL Encore White 9.5* with Oban Kiyoshi XS shaft & ]Golf Pride multicompound whiteout grip

3-Wood: Taylor Made Burner 2 White 15* with stock S shaft & Golf Pride multicompound whiteout grip

Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo 23* with stock R shaft & Golf Pride multicompound whiteout grip

Irons: 3 Iron - Mizuno MP-H4 1* upright with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft & Golf Pride patriot grip

5-PW - Titleist CB 712 1* upright with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts & Golf Pride patriot grips

Wedges: Titleist SM4 52*, 56*, 60* with stock Dynamic Gold shafts & Golf Pride patriot grips

I'm not a low handicapper, so I won't offer any advice on how to fix anything, but whenever this happens to me it's because my swing plane is too flat. This causes me to come way too far inside and I also shut the clubface quite a bit. It's really really ugly.

I think you may have a point here! I have quite an over the top swing which i have been working hard to turn into a draw and maybe the low loft of the driver is showing that im trying a bit too hard!!!

Welcome to the forum, Dogboy.

First question: where is the ball starting? When you say "snap hook" does that mean that it starts left and goes lefter? Or does it start straight and turn violently?

Overall, my thought would be that your club path is too far to the right. Try this: put down an alignment stick or a club outside of the ball pointed straight at your target. Try to swing "straight back" along the stick/club and then swing down straight along that stick. I expect it will feel odd, but it will give you a feeling of a more square club path.

Another thing to consider: where on the face are you hitting the ball? Toe hits lead to hooks.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Welcome Dogboy - Matt's the teacher so I'd follow his advice but if you want mine (well whether you want mine or not) I'd do something ridiculously simple - try and hit fades!

I can't tell you how many times going to the range and trying to hit 5 fades in a row has straighted my driver right out or more accurately turned the snap hook into a baby draw - just what you want.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have no idea why you snap hook your driver, but this is a recurring problem for me and I know what helps when I start snapping mine.

For me, the quick fix is to focus on getting more vertical on my takeaway. I start hooking my driver when I get to flat on my takeaway. No clue if this will help you or not, but a few swings will tell you!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I have no idea why you snap hook your driver, but this is a recurring problem for me and I know what helps when I start snapping mine.

For me, the quick fix is to focus on getting more vertical on my takeaway. I start hooking my driver when I get to flat on my takeaway. No clue if this will help you or not, but a few swings will tell you!

I find this intriguing. When I first started lessons I got scolded from the Pro for doing this. Said it gave me a straighter ball flight but that I lost signifigant swing speed because of it and that it would have me hitting down on the ball more so then up.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Hello and welcome,

Your comment that you hit your FW just fine would suggest that your swing for the driver is different than the FW. (stating the obvious)! Have a look at what you are doing different with the driver compared to the FW.

With the driver being the longer of the 2 is it possible that you are getting "stuck" in a flat position on your downswing which leads to pulling the club around your body to get to the ball?

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Don't fight it, embrace it. Embrace your hook. And......when you step up to the tee.......aim waaaaaay to the right and holler......"Hey 'yall .... watch this" ;)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I took my advice and revisited my basics and low and behold, I fixed my iron problem. I was standing just a bit close to the ball. I hit 12 GIR today and had the putter working so my problem is solved. Thanks for your help.:lol:

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Not sure how you grip the club, but the issue is as simple as that. Check out this video, great fix/answer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-EE6v95NqE

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

First off all hello everyone!!!

Shame to ask for advice with my first post but I need help!!!

Im off 5, that's a British 5 so probably about +4 in america!! B)

Recently virtually every drive I hit is either a viscous snap hook or a large draw. All other clubs are fine and in fact I hot my three wood very well.

Facts about me that may help - I'm quite a big hitter with a very strong grip and play a Cobra ZL with XS oban shaft 9.5 degrees.

I know my grip probably isnt helping but would this make a huge difference as I dont seem to do it with other clubs! Also moved from 10.5 degree driver to 9.5 degree so not sure if that has made a difference!!

Thanks!!!

I'm not qualified to offer swing advices, as I have my hooks season and slice seasons. Problem is I can never tell when one ends and the other begins.

Usually when your ball flight goes awry.... the best thing you can do is head down to the shops for a new driver :)

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

I find this intriguing. When I first started lessons I got scolded from the Pro for doing this. Said it gave me a straighter ball flight but that I lost signifigant swing speed because of it and that it would have me hitting down on the ball more so then up.

Those could be fair criticisms. When I tried going "Up the wall/Down the wall" (to borrow a Manzella-ism), I didn't see a drop in clubhead speed, but my AoA did drop a bit. But that was ok, because I didn't want it to be +4 or +5. As with most swing things: a little might cure you, a lot might kill you.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I guess it depends on how flat you are on the takeaway, and how vertical you get when you try to correct it. My swing can get very flat, and when I feel like I'm picking the club straight up, it's actually right on plane.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Archived