TESTERS WANTED! ×

Slighter Golf (Re-Finish Job)

GolfSpy_X

I am a huge fan of Tom's work! I purchased a custom putter from Tom and it is a solid stick. I have gone back to a Cameron this year, but Tom makes some fantastic putters and does some amazing refinishing jobs. The best part is he is one of the nicest guys out there and a pleasure to work with.

I recently sent my Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 to Tom at Slighter Golf to have it refinished. Based upon Tom's suggestion, I went with his Kuro Kaminari (Black Thunder) finish. He said it was his best looking and most durable finish for stainless steel putters. Unlike black oxide this finish is anti-corrosive and is essentially a pro platinum finish in a black color. As such, it doesn't require routinely wiping down the putter head with oil or silicone to protect the finish like other putters I have had refinished in black oxide. IMO it turned out pretty awesome.

Mike

Studio Select 1.5 (1).JPG

Studio Select 1.5 (2).JPG

Studio Select 1.5 (3).JPG

Studio Select 1.5 (4).JPG

What's In My Bag?

11° Wishon 919THI Driver

16.5° Wishon 949MC 4 Wood

21.5° Wishon 949MC 7 Wood

4-AW Wishon 560MC Forged Irons

56° & 60° Wishon CX Micro Platinum Wedges

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 Putter

Questions for the Black Thunder finish owners...

I have the Black Thunder on my lefty Snubnose. The sole of the club has a more prominent edge to it than lets say a cameron, etc. It is starting to wear and it did right out of the gate. I putt with the heel off the ground similar to Stricker so the bottom of the toe is wearing. Let me know if anyone else is having this issue or if it just due to the shape of the putter. Thanks.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Tom does some magnificent work! He built a putter for me a few years ago and it is one of the best putters I have ever used. Tom is excellent to work with as well. He has to be one of the nicest guys in the industry hands down!

I'm sending my Select soon to let Tom work his magic. Gonna have large initials stamped in the dots & have the face engravings welded up and deep re-milled. And to top it off, my newborn son's name stamped under Tom's newly milled dot.

It's already been to the other custom shop once... going a different way this time. I wanted a bit more control. Can't wait to get it out and back.

That Black Thunder finish is sweet six8. Have you thought how lime paint-fill would look in there?

And the weights in the face??? Sweet!!!

Congrats on the pretty ladies there fellas.

Cheers,

Johnny

I've heard nothing but good things about Tom's work. That Back Thunder finish looks awesome. Black oxide is a pain (especially with the temperature changes and precipitation here in the Midwest) and the last thing you want is your expensive putter to rust up.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I think I've never heard a bad word about this guy. from all the putter picks I've seen from original done by the man and re finishes, Tom's work looks great. One day I may have to visit and get a custom putter made exactly the way I want it. Thanks for sharing pics.... I love pics.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I recently sent my Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 to Tom at Slighter Golf to have it refinished. Based upon Tom's suggestion, I went with his Kuro Kaminari (Black Thunder) finish. He said it was his best looking and most durable finish for stainless steel putters. Unlike black oxide this finish is anti-corrosive and is essentially a pro platinum finish in a black color. As such, it doesn't require routinely wiping down the putter head with oil or silicone to protect the finish like other putters I have had refinished in black oxide. IMO it turned out pretty awesome.

Mike

Studio Select 1.5 (1).JPG

Studio Select 1.5 (2).JPG

Studio Select 1.5 (3).JPG

Studio Select 1.5 (4).JPG

If I might ask, what is the cost for this finish?

Posted Image

If I might ask, what is the cost for this finish?

Definitely not cheap... Not sure exactly the cost, as it varies, but I believe my Black Thunder was around $120??

Either way, Tom does a hell of a job and will make your putter look great!

Definitely not cheap... Not sure exactly the cost, as it varies, but I believe my Black Thunder was around $120??

Either way, Tom does a hell of a job and will make your putter look great!

I have heard about Tom's work for years but never knew he lived in my back yard!

If anyone has had work done by Slighter Golf, please post before & after pictures if you can.

I might need to make a road trip.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

It's like a cross between a Scotty and those putters with the "Micro-Dome" face, with the infomercials, ughhh, forget the name. Anyone remember? Anyway, those putters had weight inserts on the front.

It's like a cross between a Scotty and those putters with the "Micro-Dome" face, with the infomercials, ughhh, forget the name. Anyone remember? Anyway, those putters had weight inserts on the front.

I must have missed that infomercial...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Some of Slighter's own models are very cool too. Very aggressive face milling and lots of finish options.

Exactly Sactown. That's the route I would go rather than having my Scotty re-finished there. Tom has some really cool looking stuff under his own label.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I am 99.9% sure that the putters you speak of are Hamilton Putters. Here's a pic....

golf-putters.jpg

Exactly Sactown. That's the route I would go rather than having my Scotty re-finished there. Tom has some really cool looking stuff under his own label.

I would highly recommend getting a Slighter! I have a Portland model in Seattle Mud finish and it is a solid putter! The pictures below speaks volumes more than my words will.

Chauncey_Bush_2.jpg

Chauncey_Bush_3.jpg

• SPY VIP

I would highly recommend getting a Slighter! I have a Portland model in Seattle Mud finish and it is a solid putter! The pictures below speaks volumes more than my words will.

Chauncey_Bush_2.jpg

Chauncey_Bush_3.jpg

That is a great looking putter. Two too many sight lines for me. I like mine naked. ;)

That finish is just amazing.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

That is a great looking putter. Two too many sight lines for me. I like mine naked. :)

That finish is just amazing.

I like the two sight lines. Is that finish maintenance free or do you have to oil it?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I like the two sight lines. Is that finish maintenance free or do you have to oil it?

You have to oil this finish. That is the only problem with the putter that I have because I don't always remember to rub the putter down after each round, but the finish is amazing.

You have to oil this finish. That is the only problem with the putter that I have because I don't always remember to rub the putter down after each round, but the finish is amazing.

Wow. We were talking about that in one of the other threads. I'm pretty obsessive about club maintenance but I'm also time challenged. That would be a deal breaker for me!

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Wow. We were talking about that in one of the other threads. I'm pretty obsessive about club maintenance but I'm also time challenged. That would be a deal breaker for me!

I am the same way! I always want my clubs clean and shiny, but for some reason I forget to oil the putter down each time. If you really want a Slighter check out some of the other finishes he has because I know he has plenty of options that are more maintenance free.

I am the same way! I always want my clubs clean and shiny, but for some reason I forget to oil the putter down each time. If you really want a Slighter check out some of the other finishes he has because I know he has plenty of options that are more maintenance free.

I will do that. Does he specify which finishes are more maintenance free than others?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I will do that. Does he specify which finishes are more maintenance free than others?

He doesn't on his website, but I talked to Tom a few weeks ago and we were discussing finishes that he has now. I will look in my e-mail and see if I can find the e-mail he sent me describing the finishes.

He does have one on his sight called "Irish Gold" which I am thinking about getting my next putter in when I order another from him.

Archived