Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

ODYSSEY ANNOUNCES! - ARM LOCK PUTTERS

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

callaway-arm-lock.jpg

Odyssey®, the #1 Putter in Golf®, today announced the upcoming release of the new Metal-X™ Arm Lock Putters. Just days after the sports' ruling bodies - the USGA and the R&A - proposed a ban on the anchoring method of putting, Odyssey introduces a product line that both conforms to the anticipated ruling and offers an alternative method of stabilizing the putter through a natural-feeling extension of the golfer's arm.

Odyssey's pledge to gofers has always been to push convention while respecting tradition in a quest to help them sink more putts. The Metal–X Arm Lock Putters stem from extensive exploration into the different ways Tour professionals interact with the putter.

“We have been working toward solutions for the proposed ban on the anchoring technique for some time now, and working with our Tour players, have identified an alternative and Tour-proven putting method,” said Chris Koske, Global Director, Odyssey Golf. “We're now moving quickly to deliver the Arm Lock products that promote a stable and consistent putting stroke for both Professionals and amateur golfers.”

The Odyssey Metal-X Arm Lock Putter will be available initially in two models, the Metal-X #7 and the Metal-X DART. The specs of these two putters have been optimized through research and testing, and allow golfers to extend the shaft and grip up their lead forearm for consistent performance and control through the stroke.

“At Odyssey we were adamant about offering alternative solutions to golfers whomight change their current technique based on the recent anchoring proposal,” said Austie Rollinson, Principal Designer, Odyssey Golf. “We have more Tour players around the world playing and winning withOdyssey putters than any other company; we worked closely with many of them to dial in the new Arm Lock Putters to ensure they perform at the highest level.”

#TruthDigest

That picture looks like the guy is using a belly putter, just not anchoring it on his belly. So this makes me think players will be able to use their same belly putters without modification, just with different technique.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

I made modification to a students belly putter to an arm lock style, the loft has to be changed to take into account a pretty significant forward shaft lean to stay flush to the lead arm.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I made modification to a students belly putter to an arm lock style, the loft has to be changed to take into account a pretty significant forward shaft lean to stay flush to the lead arm.

Did you mean the lie angle? That makes sense, and is also probably a pretty easy way for Odyssey to rebrand a bunch of long putters they already have in stock.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

This is ridiculous, the marketing machine in the golf world is out of control! Callaway is just slightly modifying their belly putters and selling them as something revolutionary. I cannot express how much this insults me as a consumer. Boo Callaway!!

Did you mean the lie angle? That makes sense, and is also probably a pretty easy way for Odyssey to rebrand a bunch of long putters they already have in stock.

The lie angle would stay pretty much the same (you aren't tilting it any more toward you or away from you)

The loft would need to change because you would be pushing it so far toward the hole to begin with. If you don't adjust the loft you would end up with a negative lofted head at impact.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The lie angle would stay pretty much the same (you aren't tilting it any more toward you or away from you)

The loft would need to change because you would be pushing it so far toward the hole to begin with. If you don't adjust the loft you would end up with a negative lofted head at impact. But me added almost 5 degrees of loft.

Exactly, the lie needed to be a touch more upright because the ball moved a little closer to his body.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Awesome. I love it. Anything to circumvent the USGAs stupid ruling.

Higher loft, and a more upright lie angle would be my guess.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

This is an excellent business/marketing move. All the putter companies have known for weeks that this ruling was likely. Most have just been sitting back waiting for the axe to drop. Odyssey had the foresight to plan ahead and take advantage of the ruling. I personally don't have any interest in the putter, but I do like to see a company make good business decisions that turn negative news into a positive opportunity. And you never know for sure, but this could turn into a really hot item.

Brilliant move by Odyssey. They have obviously had this in the works for quite some time just waiting for the right moment. Then when the USGA and R&A in their infantile wisdom rule that this will be legal they jumped all over it. No, I did not mispell infinite.

At the first of the year this would have been just some other type of putter. Now, Odyssey is way out front.

Odssey 1 USGA 0

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I think he means the loft, as the player is still playing the ball in middle of stance. Unless the ball was moved well forward, the club would be significantly delofted if the ball is kept in middle of stance and club is anchored against the left arm. That said, it does seem that the lie angle might also need to be altered a bit, but perhaps not that much if at all. The "Long" putter is significantly more upright in lie angle, simply because it is anchored so high. But the traditional belly putter often has similar lie angle to a traditional putter, simply because the player doesn't change his setup much: he simply anchors it in the belly while bent over.

Lame. Odyssey is simply trying to cash in on peoples' hysteria.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Brilliant move by Odyssey. They have obviously had this in the works for quite some time just waiting for the right moment. Then when the USGA and R&A in their infantile wisdom rule that this will be legal they jumped all over it. No, I did not mispell infanite.

At the first of the year this would have been just some other type of putter. Now, Odyssey is way out front.

Odssey 1 USGA 0

Both of those words are misspelled :)

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Both of those words are misspelled :)

Infanite should have been infinite. And I know misspelled has two ss. My spell check does not work on this site with Explorer, and not it is getting to where my arms are too short to read what I am typing. Hell, I even looked infanite and infantile up to make sure I spelled them right and still screwed it up.:angry:

Then I typed the wrong thing. I was sitting here thinking I should go get my glasses so I could read it. In the mornings I can see better. Of course, I have not played golf and had any beer yet either. With the wife away, that could also be a minor contributing factor. But I have to admit that even now I have a hard time telling if what I typed is an i or I or l or an t or f or an , or . However, the difference in an a and i is pronounced right now.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I've messed around with a belly putter some. I didn't like it enough to drop my standard putter. But.....I did like locking it to my left arm more than anchoring it to my belly. I'd guess a lot of folks in the belly putter crowd are going to like this.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Shame on me for forgetting.

One of the putting techniques we played around with was to hold the butt of the putter against your arm. the forearm or the bicep depending on how far over you wanted to bend and how long the putter is, or how short you are, and just swing the putting arm in a pendulum motion. For the right handed it was the right arm. Problem with that was that we ended up holding bare metal.

The arm lock actually worked for some people but I doubt any of my group stayed with it as it put some stress time on the small of the back with the standard putter. Now I'm wondering if the current belly putter might find new life in this technique.

Shambles

Archived