Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Iron Troubles

whiskey golf

Lately, I've been struggling a lot with my iron play. Almost all of my shots are going left. It ranges from a slight draw on good days to a hook when my swing isn't all there. I'm starting to wonder if it's my irons because I can hit my driver, hybrid iron, and wedges straight but not my irons. I got fitted for them 2 years ago (.5" over, KBS stiff flex, and 2 degrees upright) I know that too upright of an angle can go left and if I'm not mistaken too stiff of a shaft. I don't have a high swing speed or fast tempo so I'm not sure if the KBS shafts are right for me. It might be my swing completely or not, I don't know 100%. I've tried to ignore the idea that it's my clubs for a while but I'm fed up with this so I might go get fitted for some irons and see what they can tell me. Has this happened to anyone before? Also, I'm interested in Mizuno, Titleist, and possibly PING so any experience with their fitting processes would be appreciated. Thanks again.

With irons, too soft of a flex goes left, too stiff goes right as the rule of thumb as you're closing the face too much/not enough.

Though then it get's tricky. For example, the KBS Tours stiff aren't too soft of an overall shaft for me. In reality, I find them quite stiff when put straight in. However, I mostly hit them left because the tip of the shaft is too soft, it allows me to shut the face too much and thus the balls goes left.

Do you happen to have anyone affiliated with Mizuno anywhere around you? If you want to double check you're shaft fit, getting on the Mizuno shaft optimizer will be the fastest way to find the top 3 models recommended to you (that Mizuno offers). Then you should be able to try said shaft out in a head that's closed to your iron model.

Outside of looking at the equipment, perhaps have someone that knows you swing and see if you're getting either a little quick or bringing the club to far back on the inside on your take away. I often do the latter when is how I end up with a lot of my draws when I don't want them.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

With irons, too soft of a flex goes left, too stiff goes right as the rule of thumb as you're closing the face too much/not enough.

Though then it get's tricky. For example, the KBS Tours stiff aren't too soft of an overall shaft for me. In reality, I find them quite stiff when put straight in. However, I mostly hit them left because the tip of the shaft is too soft, it allows me to shut the face too much and thus the balls goes left.

Do you happen to have anyone affiliated with Mizuno anywhere around you? If you want to double check you're shaft fit, getting on the Mizuno shaft optimizer will be the fastest way to find the top 3 models recommended to you (that Mizuno offers). Then you should be able to try said shaft out in a head that's closed to your iron model.

Outside of looking at the equipment, perhaps have someone that knows you swing and see if you're getting either a little quick or bringing the club to far back on the inside on your take away. I often do the latter when is how I end up with a lot of my draws when I don't want them.

Thanks for the input. I live near some good golf stores that have the Shaft Optimizer so I'll go in one day and try it out.

WG, what I'm about to say is predicated on having the right equipment, and if you don't, though the drills can be done, consistency will be elusive. These are the BEST irons drills that I have ever come across. Grab a 7i or 8i and do the "L" & "Y" drills(some call em the "Hogan Drills"). AIM @ a TARGET, do not just hit balls out into the range/tee aimlessly using the whole range as a "target."

If you're not familiar with them, they are described in the Novosel's book, Tour Tempo(they dedicate a whole chapter) or my review of the Tour Tempo Theory/Book in Member Reviews.

DO NOT move on to a full swing or other clubs until you can put at least 7/10 "on target." I use 9/10 currently though when my teacher first taught me the drill(at 14yo), he said 6, I said 7, and so that's what we went with.lol

Anything less is not a consistent, reproducible swing, it's just a crap shoot.

The Very Best to you

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to try this during the next couple of range sessions and see if I can improve my misses and hopefully I'll be able to get a round in after I've spent some time working on the range.

Before you buy a new set of irons, you might look at your ball position. You probably have allowed the ball to creep back a bit. This is fine with wedges but when you get to the irons if it is too far back, you either really have to hold back on it, or you end up coming over the top and pulling it way left.

This is the case for me anyway. I noticed yesterday on the LM that not only did ball position matter about the pulling of it left, it also allows you to swing freer and faster and lots of good stuff happens. However, a ball too far forward will fade and a fade with an open face will slice.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• 2 weeks later...

I got fitted for some Mizunos today and it turns out the head/shaft combination I have right now is causing me to put too much left side spin on the ball which was causing my left misses to go too far left, plus they were too upright for me. I'm probably getting a new set soon, JPX 825 Pros 4-GW, so I'll have to wait a bit.

I had a wicked snap hook for half the year last year. It was awful. Eventually I just went and had them flattened a few degrees and it was basically gone.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Archived