Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Junior Sets - What was your first full set?

dallasgolf.com

We have a great deal going this week on Dunlop Rebel Junior sets, $99 w/ free shipping click here.

On that thought what was your first set of clubs? Mine were some cut down ladies clubs, don't even remember the brand.

For the best deals on NEW and PRE-OWNED golf equipment CLICK HEREGolfSpySlimBanner.jpg

I'm guessing like many folks my first set was a half set of Northwestern clubs. 1w, 3w, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i and putter. They are still at my parents house and we cut down a couple of them so my nephews could use them.

First full set was the original Titleist DCI's.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My first set were tourpedos they were a ping knockoff and the driver was smaller than my 5 wood is now.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I was pretty close to my full height (6' 2") but the time I started playing golf in 8th grade, so I never had a "junior" set. My first set was a starter set of MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Golden Bears (1W, 3W, 3, 5, 7, 9 iron and putter) that my parents generously bought for me. A couple years later I saved up my summer earnings and bought a full set of MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Triple Crowns (1, 3, 4 woods and 2-W irons) that I used through high school.

My firend, who was shorter, played a set of Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge clubs that were smaller scale than the regular adult clubs (shorter length, smaller grips, etc.).

My first set was Sam Snead Fairway woods and Tony Penna irons. I cleaned them out of the garage last month and debated about keeping them, but decided I would never use them again. Even though I play some blade like irons now these did not feel good when I took them to the course last month so they went off to the dump with 500 like clubs.

Before you ask why I did not recycle these, three years ago I was given clubs by darned near every member of my club for the Boys and Girls Club. I culled out all the usable sets for beginners and the rest found their way to my garage. Since I did not need them for the past three years I let the city take care of them for me.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

My first set was a box set of PGF Progressors when I was 12. Likewise the fairway metals and driver heads are tiny compared to todays. I actually still had these up until July of this year (20 years) and they were still in great condition. Actually, I'm still using the same Cartbag from the set, and it's still in mint condition. I'm an equipment salesman's worst nightmare...

US Kids Golf driver, 8i, 9i, sw, and putter. Eventually upgraded to my dads old knock off cobra oversizes.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

My cousin's husband gave me a set of old golf clubs that were in his garage. The woods were made out of wood, the irons were really thin and beat up blades, and the putter was some piece of crap. It came with the putter, 1 wood, 2 wood, 3 wood, and 2-PW. These weren't the best to start with but I hit them on the range a couple of times. I then upgraded to a junior Golden Bear set with a junior Nike Ignite putter and used that for a while until I got more serious clubs.

Northwestern's for me too.

Driver, 3 wood

5i, 7i, 9i

putter.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Kroydon Paul Harney's - Driver, Spoon, 3,5,7,9 putter! I got them when I was around 14 - didn't get a new set until I was 21 and had broken 80 - I did add an utility wedge to the mix somewhere along the line though.

When I started playing I'd go out into a field and hit balls with hickory shafted clubs that belonged to a friend's father. Imagine that!

I do remember those Northwesterns - a few of my friends in the Caddy Shack had those when we'd go out to play.

Great thread

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Played 1953 Ben Hogan irons with some slightly later hogan woods until I was 14, which was 1991! They were my grandads second clubs, still have them in the garage. Then I moved on to a set of Maruman 41cx, which after that felt quite forgiving!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I only started playing 7 years ago, so my first set of irons were Ping Eye 2's and a G5 driver from my FIL. About 2 years later I bought a set of Cobra FP's that I still have in the basement, along with the G5.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• SPY VIP

Lemme see. This has to be around '79/80

Guy in the shop grabbed some old rentals and cut em down. I had blue ladies grips which I hated then but in hindsight would be super cool now.

I love Google, found some pics:

macdriver.JPG

jn3wood.JPG

I then had 3,5,7,9 in bladez random brands. 7 iron was somthing my dad had bought in the 60's for pitch and putt and I never cut down cause I wanted to preserve the leather grip.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I was 9 years old and my first summer job was caddying at Oakley CC just outside of Boston. I worked all summer and eyed that last jr set everyday walking passed the golf shop. Finally around labor day weekend i had saved enough to buy the Wilson 1200jr set - driver, spoon 5i, 7i, 9i, sw, and black bullseye looking putter with bag.

I was hooked - just found it on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILSON-1200-JR-LEFTHAND-GOLF-SET-NEAR-FLAWLESS-COND-/220707579564?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item33633266ac

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Archived