TESTERS WANTED! ×

A long winding journey to a custom bag

Is that "slot" technology I see? They both look good!

Gotta question for you. I have x flex KBS Tours. Would x flex c tapers feel stiffer? I have a fairly high ball flight. I don't think it's hurting me. But if I found a set I like with c tapers, I'm wondering if they would feel boardy in the same flex I have?

Really diggin the Ono (I think that's what's stamped on there). Going to be a very interesting bag Tuna.

Onoff is the brand WD. It's one of the JDM ones under the whole SRI umbrella (with Srixon, XXIO, Onoff, etc).

Going to be a weird bag but I'm cool with that.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Is that "slot" technology I see? They both look good!

Gotta question for you. I have x flex KBS Tours. Would x flex c tapers feel stiffer? I have a fairly high ball flight. I don't think it's hurting me. But if I found a set I like with c tapers, I'm wondering if they would feel boardy in the same flex I have?

No. The Yamaha (that's the 2nd iron in case anyone was wondering) is more of a pocket cavity club. The more I'm played around with different irons, the more I've found that for whatever reason, pocket cavities give me everything I want. They look nice, they're fair forgiving and all of them always seem to have a nice sound.

As to your KBS question, the C Taper plays a step stiffer in pure numbers. A X flex KBS tour would match nicely to a soft stepped X flex in the C Taper. Feel wise, you'll notice a definate difference. A little less lash through the ball due to a slightly stiffer tip can be picked up (depending on your feel. Some people are more sensative then others to things a shaft may or may not do) if you're really looking for it.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

No. The Yamaha (that's the 2nd iron in case anyone was wondering) is more of a pocket cavity club. The more I'm played around with different irons, the more I've found that for whatever reason, pocket cavities give me everything I want. They look nice, they're fair forgiving and all of them always seem to have a nice sound.

As to your KBS question, the C Taper plays a step stiffer in pure numbers. A X flex KBS tour would match nicely to a soft stepped X flex in the C Taper. Feel wise, you'll notice a definate difference. A little less lash through the ball due to a slightly stiffer tip can be picked up (depending on your feel. Some people are more sensative then others to things a shaft may or may not do) if you're really looking for it.

Thanks. I had a feeling they would feel stiffer. I should probably try hitting something with them before buying something that has them. I like the snap I get with mine on a good swing. Feels like it's unloading and plastering the ball against the face. Might lose that with the tapers from what you're describing. I was talking to Richard about mp53s or 59s. I'll probably end up with some before spring. 59s most likely.

Tuna, got another question for you or anyone else who knows for that matter. I just picked up a set of MP53s with X100 shafts. I haven't taken them to the course yet. But so far, just hitting them in the golf room, they feel light for one thing compared to my Protos (which are the ones with KBS Tour X flex). I don't know if it's the lighter swing weight or what, but I'm not feeling the shaft load and unload like I'm used to. I was under the impression the flex between the two is very close. I believe the X100s are stiffer tipped? I know I do better with a heavier swing weight. So I'm wondering, if the shafts or the light weight is making them feel so "dead" compared to what I'm used to. I had some Staff 59s with S300s in them that felt fine to me. This is the first time I've tried X100s. Does that sound like the nature of the X100s compared to KBS? Or would a heavier head make them more lively?

P.S. Didn't mean to "take over" your topic. I can start a new one if you want.

After spending more time with them and loosening up better, I am loading the shaft better. The light weight I don't like and they still don't pack the punch I'm used to if that makes sense. I know you can add tungsten in the tip to add weight. Wouldn't that move the sweet spot closer to the hosel though since you wouldn't be adding any weight to the toe?

After spending more time with them and loosening up better, I am loading the shaft better. The light weight I don't like and they still don't pack the punch I'm used to if that makes sense. I know you can add tungsten in the tip to add weight. Wouldn't that move the sweet spot closer to the hosel though since you wouldn't be adding any weight to the toe?

I think what you are feeling is the difference in the shafts. The KBS Tour is a center balanced shaft so it will feel different. The funny thing is. I have a friend that plays Titleist MB's with the X100's. He picks up my MP32 on the KBS Tour XS shaft and says that the head feels heavy to him. I pick up his and say that they head feels heavier to me. We both agree that it is easier to feel the head during the swing with the KBS but we disagree on the static feel. I guess you really have to compare and calculate the swingweight to see what the answer really is but feel is so subjective.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5019877_calculate-golf-swing-weights.html

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I think what you are feeling is the difference in the shafts. The KBS Tour is a center balanced shaft so it will feel different. The funny thing is. I have a friend that plays Titleist MB's with the X100's. He picks up my MP32 on the KBS Tour XS shaft and says that the head feels heavy to him. I pick up his and say that they head feels heavier to me. We both agree that it is easier to feel the head during the swing with the KBS but we disagree on the static feel. I guess you really have to compare and calculate the swingweight to see what the answer really is but feel is so subjective.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5019877_calculate-golf-swing-weights.html

Thanks Rick. Static weight, I can't tell a difference, but I sure can't feel the head when I swing like I'm used to. I would like to keep discussing this, but I need to start my own post. I didn't mean to hijack Tuna's.

So the iron head journey is sorted. The winner was not what I expected but I cannot in any way argue with the feel or the performance. In hand pics tomorrow of the heads after I sort out the lie angle (fancy grips and custom ferrules still to come).

In the mean time, winner winner Salmon dinner!

23_zpsac60223c.jpg

So the iron head journey is sorted. The winner was not what I expected but I cannot in any way argue with the feel or the performance. In hand pics tomorrow of the heads after I sort out the lie angle (fancy grips and custom ferrules still to come).

23_zpsac60223c.jpg

Very very nice Tuna.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

• SPY VIP

23_zpsac60223c.jpg

Baller! Looking forward to these.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Purrrty!!

Have you decided on a color scheme yet for grips and ferrules? I'm going with the standard blue PURE grips and I got the 3/4" Pearl Blue base with White rings ferrules from cell parts. Also finally got a swing weight scale and a bunch of weight plugs so I can build them to spec.

Still sorting out my iron shafts, but I'm thinking C-Tapers in S+. Just waiting a bit to purchase to see if I can find a set of pulls.

Good luck with your build, keep the pictures coming!!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Red Ferrules, Red Iomic's 2.3's with the white cap. They're probably going to end up having Modus3's in them to add to the red theme.

Have a Modus on the way to really run one through it's paces before doing the rest of the set.

Red Ferrules, Red Iomic's 2.3's with the white cap. They're probably going to end up having Modus3's in them to add to the red theme.

Have a Modus on the way to really run one through it's paces before doing the rest of the set.

Man, fourteens are stuff of legends. Those are nice!

What's that written on the hosel btw? All I see is "....rMade".

Man, fourteens are stuff of legends. Those are nice!

What's that written on the hosel btw? All I see is "....rMade".

It's the club in the background. A TM R9 forged I believe. The one in the foreground just has Fourteen down it.

Awesome thread so far. Can't wait to hear how they play on the course

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

Awesome thread so far. Can't wait to hear how they play on the course

Cheers!

Starting to pick up a bit now that I know what I'm looking for. Somethings are tricky to get so unfortunately progress on certain clubs is going to be slow, but oh well. Journey that counts and all of that.

I'll certainly be giving a run down once I get them out there. Going to much about with a few shaft options as well so those findings will be stuck in here as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Modus3 for the win!

Testing out some RM11's for the wedges. Also hit a couple of Epon's. That might have been a mistake...

Also working on getting my hands on a Speeder VT 6

Hopefully, everything will be done by the time whomever decides to come to Vancouver arrives.

• 1 month later...

How's the journey coming along tuna?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived