Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Looking for a high MOI putter

hckymeyer

I've decided to start looking for a high MOI putter. I currently play a Piretti Forza and I love the looks, but I'm beginning to think it's not the best putter for me. I had some great rounds with it, but I need something else I can put into the rotation when it starts to act up.

I went to Dicks and messed around with a few different putters, but as I've never really looked into the higher MOI putters I don't really know where to start. I have a strong arc swing according to the iPing app and it seemed like even the heel shafted ones had that bend in the shaft so they acted like a center shafted putter.

I know I should go and get fit, but in all honesty it's probably not going to happen for a while. So really just looking for a starting place, what would be a good high MOI putter for an arc/strong arc putting stroke?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

+1 to WD's recommendation. The Nome is one of a small number of high MOI putters that fit an arced stroke. Your other option would be something custom where you could get higher MOI with some toe hang. I know Byron could do something like that.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

New spider s comes in heel shafted flow neck.

Is that the spider s slant?

Ya can't argue with the Nome, though if I went with a high MOI putter, I'd go with the Spider, either the original with the regular AGSI insert, not the AGSI-C(carbon) insert or the Ghost model.

The reason that I like the Spider is two fold, #1, cuz you can hit the ball practically anywhere on the face & it's far more forgiving directionally than any other high MOI putter I've used, though I must say that outside of a few putts on the pro shop floor, I haven't really tried the Nome. The second and most important feature to me is the fact that you can interchange the weight cartridges in the rear "wings." You can take it from 342gr. with no cartridges in it up to 374gr with the two 16gr cartridges in it.

I have two original Spiders, one with the "S" bend neck & the other a CS model & one Ghost with the "S" bend.

If you decide on the Spider, you can have either of the two originals for a $50(+ $10 for shipping) donation to MGS or the Ghost model for $75(+ the $10), again, to MGS. They are in pristine comdition & I will gladly e-mail ya pics if you're interested.

The reason for this price, and it's only to you, is because of your kindness in helping me post my auction pictures.

Just lemme know.

Have a good one Bro

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

+1 on the Spider, it's a great putter. I like the feel of the Nome only slightly better, but you should try both.

I've decided to start looking for a high MOI putter. I currently play a Piretti Forza and I love the looks, but I'm beginning to think it's not the best putter for me. I had some great rounds with it, but I need something else I can put into the rotation when it starts to act up.

I went to Dicks and messed around with a few different putters, but as I've never really looked into the higher MOI putters I don't really know where to start. I have a strong arc swing according to the iPing app and it seemed like even the heel shafted ones had that bend in the shaft so they acted like a center shafted putter.

I know I should go and get fit, but in all honesty it's probably not going to happen for a while. So really just looking for a starting place, what would be a good high MOI putter for an arc/strong arc putting stroke?

Let me ask you a question re: the Ping app - where did you do the measurement, and how far were you hitting the putt?

Reason I ask is that I have done the test on my carpet at home, and get Strong Arc result. In doing this I realized the carpet is on the slow side and I was hitting the ball about 15 feet. I then went to a course with quick greens, and when I measured 10 feet, my stroke only had to go back less than 1/2 as far as at home. The results were then slight arc, almost near straight back/thru.

This being said, I would recommend Bobby Grace putters. I have 4 of them.

Older, High MOI, triangular shape, black, simple to set up. Might be willing to part with this one...

MacGregor Anser style with the DCT face.

2 new style with all the technology in the face to get the ball rolling quick and to enhance distance control. These putters are the ultimate in distance control.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

An important thing to understand about the Ping app is that it measures face rotation, NOT PATH. It makes a guess about path based on face rotation. If you want to really know exactly what you do with the putter, you need SAM Puttlab. It's only $10,000 more than the Ping app...;)

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

An important thing to understand about the Ping app is that it measures face rotation, NOT PATH. It makes a guess about path based on face rotation. If you want to really know exactly what you do with the putter, you need SAM Puttlab. It's only $10,000 more than the Ping app...;)

Thanks for the tip Matt, I wasn't actually aware that it was just a calculation.

To double check myself I put down a shaft and set my putter down so the toe was touching the shaft. I definitely have a arc swing.

Just based off initial feedback I really want to go hit the spider. Plus it's less expensive than the Nome by a fair margin. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I really appreciate it!

I read something recently that I haven't thought about before. It said that most golfers putt just as well as the pros from inside three feet, and from ten to twenty feet. Point being that we all normally one putt from inside three feet, and we all normally two putt from ten to twenty feet. Pros will excel from three to ten feet where they are more likely to one putt, and from greater than twenty feet where they seldom three putt.

I think this is important when choosing a putter. I'm mostly a blade guy. If I try to use a high MOI putter, it seems to fight my stroke on long putts. I have poor distance control on long putts and will three putt more often. Either type of putter seems to work OK for me on shorter putts, but I use a blade putter because I know I'll have better distance control on all putts.

If you can find a putter that flows well with your stroke, and allows you to roll the long putts close, that is probably a putter that will work on short putts too.

• SPY VIP

Not to thread jack, but I am in the process of doing a comprehensive head to head mallet article. Should have around 20 mallets going at it. Maybe that'll help :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Dude, in my first post I didn't see the part about your stroke being a "strong arc." Before ya do anything with my Spider, go try one. Don't wory if ya putt with the Ghost & end up takin the black Spider w/AGSI insert. As I said, I like that one better anyway.

However the ghost'll give ya a good idea of how your stroke will handle it. As far as that Ping app, I'm sure that it's great and there are probably a dozen guys who'll tell me how wonderful it is. Please.

Go pick a putter and hit some putts. How's it feel? Ideally, you'd like to get on a real green, be it practice or the course. If not, use whatever is available. Move around and check out your distance control with it. Are ya confortable with it distance-wise? Are ya comfortable with the look?

This is just me, but the day that I need some app to tell me what kinda putter that I need, I'm done. Seriously, I'm outa here. But that day'll never come. I averaged 27.4 ppr this season. yea, let's add some more numbers to our game and see how much more complicated we can make it.

No wonder 98% of the golfers out there can't break 100.

Gee, I wonder how many of them are usin the Ping app. LMAO

Anyway, Hckymeyer, you know that my rant wasn't aimed at you. No way. I'm just sick of seein all of these guys runnin around with the stupid-ass gadgets hooked up to their putters and their more concerned with what the app says than where the ball ends up.

What's wrong with that picture?

I mean two years ago, I averaged 26.8 ppr with a Scotty Napa..And I gotta SBST stroke!.Why? because when I stepped up to a putt there wasn't a doubt in my mind that if I didn't make it, I was gonna be all over the hole. I don't care where I was on the green. Solid, repeatable stroke & confidence.

Anyway, just make sure that you're comfortable with the Spider. It's only a great deal if ya sink putts with it :)

Take care Bro

My Best,

Richard

fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I fully plan on playing around the Spider and testing it out before I buy anything, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to test it out on a course. Mine closed already and it's highly frowned upon to go out to the green once they've been winterized. That and we have a winter storm watch/warning for this weekend, supposed to get 5-8 inches of the white stuff.

So I'll be limited to the big box stores indoor putting greens, but I really want to test out the bend neck spider vs the slant neck and see if one works better for me.

Not to thread jack, but I am in the process of doing a comprehensive head to head mallet article. Should have around 20 mallets going at it. Maybe that'll help :)

Oooooohhhhh, I like it!!

Are you talking soon like in a week? Or soon early next year?

Also are there any models in there with toe hang?

• SPY VIP

Oooooohhhhh, I like it!!

Are you talking soon like in a week? Or soon early next year?

Also are there any models in there with toe hang?

I'm collecting the entries right now, testing after Christmas, and publishing before the PGA.

Nothing with a ton of hang right now, but we will see what the different companies decide to enter.

Volvo Intorqueo

I'm collecting the entries right now, testing after Christmas, and publishing before the PGA.

Nothing with a ton of hang right now, but we will see what the different companies decide to enter.

I'll see how long I can hold out. if I get a putting green for Christmas I'm guessing it won't be that long :)

For fun, any chance you can include an old style mallet, or something not from the mainstream?

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

• SPY VIP

For fun, any chance you can include an old style mallet, or something not from the mainstream?

I've collected mallets from both large and small manufacturers, but they are all recent models so folk can find them should they be interested in buying one.

Which one did you have in mind? There is still time to contact possible entrants...

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Couldn't even find one on Bruce Sizemore's page...bummer

I totally agree, it's a huge bummer. Such a good putter that just didn't get into enough people's hands.

I should have one more Fatso on the way soon. I'll post some photos and we can all be even more depressed :(

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived