TESTERS WANTED! ×

What little things make or break a golf course for you?

Moecat

We all want ideal playing conditions where the grounds are well maintained and pace of play is reasonable.

But what little things keep you coming back to - or make you stay away from - any given course?

For example, so far I've seen only one place in Orange County, CA where free sunscreen is provided in restroom dispensers. I think stuff like this says a lot about how a facility cares about and treats its customers.

Stay away

- Marshalls that have nothing better to do then annoy the paying customers

- Stupid course design. I don't need 12 dogleg's thanks, nor do I need at giant bunker smack in the middle of the fairway with a narrow landing area and water in front of it

Come back

- Friendly staff

- A design that lets you challange for a better score with risk or stay safe and have a fun day out there

They are the reasons that Cordova Bay and the Duke course are my favorites of anywhere I've been.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Stay away

- Stupid course design. I don't need 12 dogleg's thanks, nor do I need at giant bunker smack in the middle of the fairway with a narrow landing area and water in front of it

Come back

- Friendly staff

- A design that lets you challange for a better score with risk or stay safe and have a fun day out there

They are the reasons that Cordova Bay and the Duke course are my favorites of anywhere I've been.

+1 Tuna mine are the same. The reasons not the courses never played them. Where are they located?

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Agree with the above -- as paying customers we have choices. Don't make it seem like you're doing me a favor by letting me play your course.

Courteous, friendly staff go a LONG way.

Also, setting clear expectations before teeing off regarding pace of play helps.

Like convenient practice facilities, as well.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I pretty only play the one course I'm a member at, but the reasons I love it and keep coming back are friendly staff that gets to know you. Course is always in really good shape, and my proximity to the course is #1 though.

Reasons i don't go back to some courses...

The staff acts like they are doing you a favor for you to be there, greens are in terrible condition, the price of a round doesn't reflect the quality of the course.

As for the little things that stand out, handing out free water bottles is something that Spyzinger's course does that I really appreciate.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Stay away

Come back

- Friendly staff

This, exactly. I will add one that keeps me away from a specific course.....a pro that is an A-hole; this guy thinks he should be treated like Tiger Woods, because he is the best golfer in a town of 5,000. He is the biggest douche I have ever run into on or off a golf course.

In regards to course design I would also add that I don't like when courses have 9 holes that are just dead straight. While tons of doglegs would be annoying, a bunch of straight flat holes is pretty boring. My biggest return/don't return is price for quality of track though. If a course is well maintained and a cool design for a reasonable price, I will likely return no matter how unfriendly the staff is, within reason of course ;)

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

#1 for me is always the layout followed by #1B being pace of play- sometimes I can handle a slow round if its on an awesome course. Number 2 is always green conditions- i am kind of a snob when it comes to green conditons. They dont have to be 13 or anything like that- i dont care if their rolling at 8- i just want consistent greens.Followed by fairway condition, bunker conditions, then tee boxes. I don't even care about the rough condition, carts, the staff, or their policies and procedures because I have no control over that stuff and who cares about rough-

I generally choose where I want to play, so if there is a facility where I don't care for the staff or layout or policies I simply will not play there. However I give every course a shot!

We all want ideal playing conditions where the grounds are well maintained and pace of play is reasonable.

But what little things keep you coming back to - or make you stay away from - any given course?

For example, so far I've seen only one place in Orange County, CA where free sunscreen is provided in restroom dispensers. I think stuff like this says a lot about how a facility cares about and treats its customers.

Want to go back

- good design

- good price

- good condition

- friendly staff

- good range

Don't want to go back

- stupid layout

- dried out or soggy fairways

- crappy greens

- rocky/cement like bunkers, they are out there

- one of the biggest things that pisses me off is when there is goose sh*t all over the place especially near or on the greens, it's gross and it's a pain in the ass if it's your line when putting

- the rest is obvious

Also, what course in Orange County did you play at?

Hopefully some industry people are reading this and finding out how much people care about the staff.

Personally, the staff doesn't have a big impact on my day. If they do, it's surely negative and I won't be back.

Never go back if:

Pace of play is consistently slow

Course conditions are bad

Can't wait to go back if:

Good practice facility

Reasonably priced

Fun layout

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Want to go back

- good design

- good price

- good condition

- friendly staff

- good range

Don't want to go back

- stupid layout

- dried out or soggy fairways

- crappy greens

- rocky/cement like bunkers, they are out there

- one of the biggest things that pisses me off is when there is goose sh*t all over the place especially near or on the greens, it's gross and it's a pain in the ass if it's your line when putting

- the rest is obvious

Also, what course in Orange County did you play at?

The one I referred to having free sunscreen is Black Gold. There are others I've played and enjoyed, but that one continues to stand out for me.

I can not find fault to any of these listed above. But I like a course that forces you to use some clubs off the tee rather than just driver all the time. I like to have some holes where you can let'er rip but I like some that make you lay up also.

Also, my course starting the first of the year will be closed on Mondays. Up until maybe five years ago they were closed on Mondays. The clubhouse is still closed, but the pro shop has been opened. Now they are closing both again which really should not effect me since I have my own cart, however, rumor has it that there will be no flags and no one will be allowed to play. That pisses me off. I pay my dues and if I can play on Monday good for me. I understand that Mondays are a maintenance day and if you may have to play around what ever project is going on. That is fine, but if the weather is nice, than I want to be able to play on my schedule.

Is a course being closed for a day normal still? I know they used to be, but if the "Everydayers" are kicked off than this will cause a problem.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

The quality of the greens and how level the tee boxes are. I cant stand it when a green is not taken care of well or when the tee boxes have uneven ground.

Beyond that, its quality of service for me. Are the people in the clubhouse friendly and does the cart girl make sure Im never thirsty (and its always nice when she flirts with me a bit).

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Nothing much I can add here but since its what keeps you coming and makes you stay away I'll chime in anyway.

For me it's all about the course

I'm looking for an interesting layout, good greens, good overall conditions, value and pace of play. I'll play TPC at $69 because that's a ridiculously good value for what you get. There is a course near me that can be played for under $30 and I haven't set foot on it in six years because it's not worth it.

I'll stay away from a course whose pace of play is consistently poor.

Other than that amenities like sunscreen or after shave in the rest room and a really nice 19th hole are great but that's not why I'm going to a course or coming back.

I rarely encounter a course where the staff isn't great - I think that's a prerequisite down here - so much competition that courses know they're done if they hire duds.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

A-hole marshals will keep me from ever returning. Keeping me coming back doesn't take a beautiful course, it just takes a course well taken care of and not boring.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

We got a new greens keeper (Director of Golf) this summer. It was interesting because a 7am on Saturday mornings you would see him driving around checking on the weekend crew. All of a sudden the hoses were rolled up nicer, the trash was emptied sooner, the water jugs were suddenly filled when they were supposed to be, holes were moved more often, as were tee markers. 1000 little things really started to make the club look nicer.

Of course, 10 new greens, a new club house, and a bunch of new equipment did not hurt either, but the minor changes right of the bat sure did make a difference.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 2 weeks later...

Friendly staff, good yardage markers (placement and accuracy), good greens and tee boxes. GPS in carts can replace the yardage markers, or a good yardage book available is another good substitute.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

#1 for me is always the layout followed by #1B being pace of play- sometimes I can handle a slow round if its on an awesome course. Number 2 is always green conditions- i am kind of a snob when it comes to green conditons. They dont have to be 13 or anything like that- i dont care if their rolling at 8- i just want consistent greens.Followed by fairway condition, bunker conditions, then tee boxes. I don't even care about the rough condition, carts, the staff, or their policies and procedures because I have no control over that stuff and who cares about rough-

I generally choose where I want to play, so if there is a facility where I don't care for the staff or layout or policies I simply will not play there. However I give every course a shot!

Agree 1000% on consistent green conditions. All 8 great. All 11's even better. Nothing worse than three greens being super fast followed by a super slow green. Granted position of a green (higher, lower elevation, slope, proximity to shade/sunlight ) can make slight adjustments , but basic uniformity is what I'm looking for. Tee boxes too. I like grass on them and in my fairways :)

Oh and yardage markers. Need them. I don't have a laser. Simple stakes are perfect. But have them. I don't like guessing, especially on a course I've never played before

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

This has been a good topic to read about. I am a Golf Course Superintendent and have sent out a few resumes over the last week or so. I wanted you all to read the end of my cover letter and I believe it pretty much sums up what you all are talking about aside from a few things.

"Personal values and wholesome ethics motivate me to strive for optimal performance, and I pride myself for being an individual who has earned the trust and respect of all for whom I have worked and of all who have worked for me. While it is easy to make a golf course green, it is the combination of attention to detail and kind service given to the members and guests which truly separate a memorable golf experience from the mediocre. I would be honored to have the opportunity to both share and further develop my talents at the"

One thing I've learned about this business is it's so hard to get a customer to return after you have lost them because of a horrible experience. You may get new customers in there but overtime it's the repeat business that will pay your bills. It's a shame that some of the owners, management companies, and Pro's out there do have the attitude of you need us we don't need you.

If anyone knows anywhere looking to hire a Superintendent let me know :)

Driver- Ping i20 9.5* w/ GD Tour AD-DI7S

Fwy- Adams Super Fairway 3T 16* GD Tour AD-DJ7S

Hybrid- Still not sure???

Irons- MP-58 4 iron KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" 1*strong

MP-68 5-PW KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" 1* strong

Wedges- Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 52* and 58*

Putter- Ping Anser 4 Beryllium 34" I call her "ol' faithful"

Grips- Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compund Black/White logo down

Ball- ProV1x

Very nice turfman - I'll keep my ears to the ground here.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 month later...

What will keep me away is a ranger/marshal that follows me around and badgers me about holding the group behind us up. No one in my group plays that slow. All of us can get around a golf course without any problem. It seems this guy just wants to be "importent". I also don't tolerate a course with a snobby, arrogant clientele that acts like you shouldn't be allowed to play there.

What keeps me coming back is a friendly staff that acts like they want my business.

I agree with Apprenti23 and Whiskey Golf's posts.

I hope I don't offend anybody here, but I see a great inconsistency between a number of posts here. A large number of "pace of play" being important and then a lot of "a-hole marshall" comments.

I'll say this, I have never seen a marshall harass a group that was not right up with a group in front of them. Marshalls only have to act or interact with a particular group when the pace of play by a group is slow. Some marshalls are better than others in interpersonal dealings and many could do their jobs better, but if a marshall is compelled to interact with your group, doesn't that mean that your group has fallen behind?? Eliminate your problem, and you eliminate a problem with the marshals.

Unless, perhaps, they are referring to marshalls who aren't leaning on groups ahead to keep up the pace of play, which I have run into and which I would agree would be a problem.

All it takes is one group to slow up a whole course.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

When the next group is two holes behind you, there is no reason for a marshall to be an A-hole.

But that's how he knows he's a marshall rolleyes.gif

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I don't mind pace of play so much if its not ridiculous. The staff being helpful and courteous is a must, but the people who play the course will also determine whether or not I return as well, when the locals who have played the course for a long time (and think they own the course), give someone a hard time, that ruins the course for me. I don't really care the condition of the course as long as the price reflects it, some o f those dirt tracks can be very tough courses if you give them a chance, and

you might just meet some great people as well.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived