TESTERS WANTED! ×

YES or NO - Is This A Hole-In-One?

GolfSpy_X

I think it is because more than half of the ball is below the lip of the hole

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Not a hole in one....yet.

16/3

Ball Embedded in Side of Hole; All of Ball Not Below Lip of Hole

Q.A player's ball embeds in the side of a hole. Part of the ball is above the level of the lip of the hole. What is the ruling?

A.The ball is not holed - see Definition of "Holed." The player may play the ball as it lies or lift the ball under Rule 16-1b, repair the damage under Rule 16-1c and place the ball on the lip of the hole.

However I take this one to mean that if you were able to wiggle the flagstick and make it fall into the hole, then it would be a hole in one. Assuming the flagstick was actually touching the ball while it was embedded.

17-4. Ball Resting Against Flagstick

When a player's ball rests against the flagstick in the hole and the ball is not holed, the player or another person authorized by him may move or remove the flagstick, and if the ball falls into the hole, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke; otherwise, the ball, if moved, must be placed on the lip of the hole, without penalty.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Since it's not resting against the pin, put a ball marker behind it, fix the damage and set it back down. There's no way it would stay up in that case and it would be an ace. It's not one until you follow the procedure though.

As per the definition of holed:

Holed

A ball is "holed" when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole and all of it is below the level of the lip of the hole.

The ball is not ALL below the level of the lip of the hole

I say not a hole out. That sucks!

16/3

Ball Embedded in Side of Hole; All of Ball Not Below Lip of Hole

Q.A player's ball embeds in the side of a hole. Part of the ball is above the level of the lip of the hole. What is the ruling?

A.The ball is not holed - see Definition of "Holed." The player may play the ball as it lies or lift the ball under Rule 16-1b, repair the damage under Rule 16-1c and place the ball on the lip of the hole.

I agree repair and replace on the lip (without penalty). Sorta like a plugged ball. I also agree with the comment if I was playing with a friend I would give them this one. :D

I would count it. If you placed a ball marker down and it can't stay up. So I can't see why you would even worry about it. Great Shot Congrats to who ever hit it!!!!!

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Great comprehensive answer. Bro, you're the second coming of JMiller. LOL (That's the ultimate compliment, BTW)

Question: what if, per the rules, you lift, clean & repair mark and try to place your ball but are unable to. I'm guessing that you would have to place it behind or to the side, though no nearer, which obviously would take it all the way into the hole. Would I have to place it behind the original spot?

Again, great answer!

Thanx a lot for takin the time to post it

Fairways & Greens 4ever

The rule just says to place it on the lip of the hole. I would take that to mean as close to the original spot as possible, without it falling into the hole. Kind of like taking a drop near a hazard. You drop it two or three times and it keep rolling in, then you just place it down outside the hazard. if the ball falls into the hole it still doesn't count, you would just need to place it on the lip so it stays out.

All that being said, I would wiggle the flagstick until it fell in the hole and count it!! :D

The rule just says to place it on the lip of the hole. I would take that to mean as close to the original spot as possible, without it falling into the hole. Kind of like taking a drop near a hazard. You drop it two or three times and it keep rolling in, then you just place it down outside the hazard. if the ball falls into the hole it still doesn't count, you would just need to place it on the lip so it stays out.

All that being said, I would wiggle the flagstick until it fell in the hole and count it!! :D

I don't know. I can't see it being any different than marking your ball when it's away from the hole and replacing it on the same spot. If it can't be placed in the same spot without falling in, it's holed the way I see it. The hole isn't a hazard. Replacing the ball on the green isn't the same as taking a drop. You always place it no matter what, not drop it and see whether it stays or not. Put a ball marker behind it and it gets placed back in front of the marker after the repair just like anywhere else on the green.

Was that the guy's first shot off the tee? Cause that's kinda important.

LOL Best answer.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I don't know. I can't see it being any different than marking your ball when it's away from the hole and replacing it on the same spot. If it can't be placed in the same spot without falling in, it's holed the way I see it. The hole isn't a hazard. Replacing the ball on the green isn't the same as taking a drop. You always place it no matter what, not drop it and see whether it stays or not. Put a ball marker behind it and it gets placed back in front of the marker after the repair just like anywhere else on the green.

i think we could debate it back and forth all day (ha ha, and we pretty much have), but the bottom line is that if this happened at a PGA event it would not be an ace.

i think we could debate it back and forth all day (ha ha, and we pretty much have), but the bottom line is that if this happened at a PGA event it would not be an ace.

Yeah that's what I wasn't sure of. I thought you would always place the ball on the same location on the green it was removed from. That was a good picture for a thread!

As the pin would have been in the hole and taking into account rule 17-4 regarding the ball resting against the flag stick what would be the ruling if whilst removing the flag stick the ball was dislodged from it's position and fell into the hole?

Lets assume that the ball was not resting against the flag stick but the flag stick touched the ball whilst being removed and fell in the hole.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

As the pin would have been in the hole and taking into account rule 17-4 regarding the ball resting against the flag stick what would be the ruling if whilst removing the flag stick the ball was dislodged from it's position and fell into the hole?

Lets assume that the ball was not resting against the flag stick but the flag stick touched the ball whilst being removed and fell in the hole.

AJ

That's the part I'm not sure about, if the ball wasn't actually touching the flagstick, then I would assume there would be a penalty and you would have to place the ball on the lip and continue play. If the ball was touching the flagstick at all then i would assume if it fell in while wiggling it/taking it out then it would indeed be an ace.

That's just my interpretation of 17-4 though, I'm not positive.

Having read the rules I suggest the following:

1. If the ball was not touching the flag stick you would not be permitted to remove the flag if it was not possible to do so without dislodging the ball. The ball would need to be marked then the divot repaired and the ball placed on the lip of the hole in a stable position so as not to fall in the hole. Standard rules apply for putting out.

2. If the ball was touching the flag stick, the player (or an authorised person) may remove the flag and if in doing so the ball was dislodged and fell in the hole then an ace would apply. I do not believe that there is any rule that dictates the level of care that must be exercised when removing the flag stick. (read between the lines)

Just my thoughts.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Archived