Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Best chipper or short game tool for high handicapper?

jayhawker

Looking to get my dad a chipper or something along those lines for Christmas this year. He has always had trouble around the green, especially with blading chips.

I have a budget of about 50 bucks, and I'd like to get something of pretty good quality. He would have no problem getting one used either, so that is not out of the question to get a nicer club.

Right now I am in between a niblick or an Adams a12os chipper.

Thoughts on which would be best/easiest to use?

Would love additional suggestions as well.

Thanks

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

Looking to get my dad a chipper or something along those lines for Christmas this year. He has always had trouble around the green, especially with blading chips.

I have a budget of about 50 bucks, and I'd like to get something of pretty good quality. He would have no problem getting one used either, so that is not out of the question to get a nicer club.

Thanks

I wouldn't touch it for myself, but have you seen videos on that Black Magic wedge? I saw a guy on YouTube I think reviewing it. He was all impressed how it got the ball out of the bunker every time with no special technique. It would probably make a good chipper too. Don't remember what they go for though. I never considered getting one for myself.

I wouldn't touch it for myself, but have you seen videos on that Black Magic wedge? I saw a guy on YouTube I think reviewing it. He was all impressed how it got the ball out of the bunker every time with no special technique. It would probably make a good chipper too. Don't remember what they go for though. I never considered getting one for myself.

I wouldn't touch one either, but for my dad being a very high handicapper with his biggest problems coming from chipping, I think he would love one of these as it would work out great him.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

Thanks

I never felt all that good about chippers. There are a bunch of short irons in almost every bag and what chippers I came across were lofted like the short irons, with the largest difference being the chipper was set up like a putter. When you choke down a seven or other short iron you end up with a lie that's pretty much the same as a putter and to my mind that eliminates the need for a chipper.

Much of the problems with chipping is simply putting the face of the club on the ball. The lower loft of the short irons reduces that problem considerably.

Shambles

I wouldn't touch one either, but for my dad being a very high handicapper with his biggest problems coming from chipping, I think he would love one of these as it would work out great him.

I know what you mean. It's probably a great idea for him. Check that "wedge" out I mentioned. It might be great for him out of the sand on top of working as a chipper. No shank to worry about either. Make sure and let us know what you end up getting.

I bought my wife one, well, actually I tried to buy her one and she did not want it, and then the next time we were at the golf store she came over and showed me what she had found and wanted.:rolleyes: But she just loves it. I play occasionally with an older man who has one and his is ambidextrous. The beauty about that is it can also be used when up against a tree if needed. So if you are looking at them and see one that can be used from either side I would say get that.

I personally can use either side of my shoe so that is not that big of a deal to me.:lol:

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

My buddys dad has an entire set of Acer XDS Hybrid irons and hits them very well. The SW almost looks like a chipper and he uses it like a putter around the greens, but it can also be used from the fairway. They are pretty cheap too.

Check them out here - http://www.hirekogolf.com/acer-xds-react-hybrid-clubhead.html

I saw the thread line and thought........ Me! :)

As for the club to do the work with I've never had one of these but like the ambidexterous concept.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Are ambidextrous clubs legal?

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Not to urinate in your wheaties, though I don't think that father's problens around the greens will be solved by a swing aid club or a "chipper" type of club or these "gimmick" type clubs, as it is obviously his swing that is causing the problems.

I am not prone to giving advice/tips, because #1, they don't usually work & usually do more damage than good, and #2, I'm not a teacher so I am not remotely qualified to spew my thoughts on the swing. Might I suggest a gift(actually two) that will not only help his short/greenside game, but also his whole game, because I'm bettin his full swing could use a bit more consistency also.

That being said, I am referring to two books, Tour Tempo & Tour Tempo 2.Both are authored by John Novosel, who's swing theory & swing aids have been reviewed in MGS by GS Matt and back here in the forum by myself.

Tour Tempo was the first book and covers the science & theory along with working with the full swing. Tour Tempo 2, covers the short game/green side & putting along with a review & update on the science & theory.

I have Tour Tempo in hardback & TT2 on my iPhone, though they also have it, along with their aid apps(They're phenominal!!) gfor both the iPhone & Droid.

Specifically, there are two drills, the "L" & the "Y", which are given a chapter in TT2, that if one practices them diligently & consistently, the swings, regardless of the length of the backswing, will improve immensely!

The greatest(well, to me..LOL) feature of the Tour Tempo theory is that it does not change your swing or ,ake you conform to a certain swing. You can implement it with ANY swing, though the degree of success is obviously dependent on the individual golfer.

It's not that I'm against a club aid, though I find that for the majority of average mid-high cappers, it's sorta like a can't miss "tip" or "pearl," & not only does it miss, but it only deals with the symptom(s), not the cause(s), and if a guy has a good, reproducable, consistent swing, with practice, he'll have no problems shortening his swing and implimenting the nuances neccessary for a consistent short game swing. And with regards to buying him a specific club, hell, odds are that he'll hit that like sh* too, because it's that age old case of "new club, same old swing."

Nah, buyin him a "gimmick" club, chipping club or an aid is akin to buyin a drunk another fifth of gin. Sure, he may feel good for a bit, but it won't last and he'll back to where he was before ya bought it, and no better off.

And not only will you be giving your father a gift that will be far, far more valuable to his game than any swing aid or club on the market, you'll have some change left over for a gift for someone else :)

The best with your search

Thanks for the advice. I would say that I see your point, but I do see it a different way.

For starters, I probably should have given a little more background. He plays with me and with family occasionally. My dad golfs to have fun and spend time with others, and he is not extremely interested in being the best he can be.

That being said he is willing to put in practice, but not to the extent that he would benefit or enjoy a change/reformation of his swing.

One of the areas he has had the most trouble is around the green for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, he never knows what club to use.

My idea in getting him a chipper is that it could allow him to eliminate that problem around the green, and it would also give him something specific to practice on. I have attempted to help him with chipping using lower lofted clubs like an 8 iron, but the feel of the iron causes him issues with blading them and such.

I personally believe a chipper would give him a go to club around the green with a consistent shot that he could develop and perfect much easier than a wedge or iron.

Thanks for the input

Zac

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

Just noticed in the last post I didn't separate my post and rpj's... My post starts with "thanks for the advice"

Thanks everyone for the input, it really helped and it was quite interesting to see everyone's view on choppers and such.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

Just noticed in the last post I didn't separate my post and rpj's... My post starts with "thanks for the advice"

Thanks everyone for the input, it really helped and it was quite interesting to see everyone's view on choppers and such.

Choppers? Shoot! And all this time I thought we were talking about chippers!!! Silly me! :lol:

Choppers? Shoot! And all this time I thought we were talking about chippers!!! Silly me! :lol:

I need to turn the autocorrect off on my ipad. I'm tired of. Having to explain for it lol. I wish I was getting my dad a chopper though!

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

I think chopper is a great name for a chipper because you chop at the ball with them.

Richard gives some awesome advice. But, as a high handicapper who doesn't play much and isn't super interested in the game, is a book really a good idea? I don't see a high capper reading golf books and practicing adamantly wht they learn to improve. High cappers turn to gimmick clubs to improve, not words or wisdom.

I'd go with a chipper. Plenty of good options in here. I like the Odyssey X-ACT as well.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I think chopper is a great name for a chipper because you chop at the ball with them.

Richard gives some awesome advice. But, as a high handicapper who doesn't play much and isn't super interested in the game, is a book really a good idea? I don't see a high capper reading golf books and practicing adamantly wht they learn to improve. High cappers turn to gimmick clubs to improve, not words or wisdom.

I'd go with a chipper. Plenty of good options in here. I like the Odyssey X-ACT as well.

I have to say this is one of few times that we happen to agree... at least partially.

Although he is a high handicapper, he does have a desire to improve, just not improve greatly to the point that he uses up significant time.

The chipper gives him an avenue to improve. It is not necessarily a gimmick, but with a certain amount of time spent practicing with a chipper he could become much more skilled with the chipper as the same amount of time spent practicing with an iron or a wedge.

He is definitely open to advice, but he doesn't have the time to go through an entire swing improvement of sorts. Hence the chipper, which allows for immediate improvement and a much easier developed asset to his game.

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

With the info provided by your follow-up text, in answer to Ice's question, a book is a bad idea.

Hell, go with the choppa, and like Ice, I like the Cally X-ACT

Merry Christmas, and I owe ya a box of Wheaties :)

My Best

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Thanks. I decided actually I would go with the adams a12os chipper. I really don't have anywhere I can get the x-act for 50 bucks, and I picked up the adams for 50 bucks even. It seems like a great chipper as well from what I've read.

Thanks for the input

Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*

• 3 years later...

Any legal club that helps you score better is worth playing!  The 2011 Cleveland Niblicks are actually just 'Hybrid Wedges' to me and available in lofts of 42*, 49*, and 56*.

Great around the green, and for full-swing wedge approaches to the green as well!... :)

niiblickpw.jpg

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

Archived