• Heavy >115
    • Medium 90-115
    • Light <90
    • Don't care in the least
  2. 2. Why?

• Feels right / Works for me
    • Was fitted for it
    • Came with the sticks

Playing around with different weight shafts in the same head got me curious what other folks like.

Me personally....I'm leaning towards medium weight. I plan on getting fitted in the spring to see if what feels right matches the fitting results.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I have tried most of the variations available and prefer heavier.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

I prefer lighter, as my three driver rotation consists of My RBZ T w/a Tour AD 9003 S(74gr), Titleist D3 w/a Tour AD 9003 S(74gr) & my i20 w/w RT Technologies Zeus LT S(68gr).

I've had heavier shafts in all three heads & the lighter felt better, flew better & flew further, so the decision was pretty easy.

I don't need a fitter to tell me what I'm feelin & what my eyes are seein...

Good question Bro

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Per the weights in the poll, I think BK was talking about iron shafts. 70 is considered mid-weight my most and heavy by some for drivers. Nowadays they venture down into they 40s for graphite driver shafts.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Ya, I did mean irons, but RP brings up a good point about driver shafts too!

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I prefer heavier shafts in both. I play Dunamic Gold S400 iron shafts and the three driver shafts I am using are 72 gram, 74 gram, and 83 gram weights.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Depends BK, what do you mean by weight?

A: Overall heft of the club with the shaft installed?

B: Headweight at address/while swinging?

I've found it fascinating lately to hand a guy a iron shaft around 90 grams when he wants 130 but have it spec out at D5 head weight instead of D1. Suddenly he has no problem with the weight and picks up distance.

Alternatively, and I often fall here is when you go to a heavier weight shaft but reduce the swing weight so the club doesn't feel so hefty. Rolling in with a 130g shaft in a 300g head and weighted at D4/D5 makes for a damn hefty club. Change that to D1 say, and watch how the brain is tricked into not finding it heavy and allowing for a free swing in the correct tempo.

I like iron shafts in the 85-105 range RAW. I play better when they're 115/120 raw before cut downs

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I put down that I was fitted but in reality, I fitted myself. For years, I went with the lighter is faster route. However, I went at the first of the year and fitted myself and found that heavier perform better for me. I am a big ole boy and the weight of the shaft is nothing to me.

I have 80 gram shafts in my driver and 3 wood, and 130 grams in all my irons. I did have a 120 gram in my hybrid but I switched today and it has an 80 gram green Voodoo in it. I did not play golf today but did stop at the range and hit a half of a small bucket of balls that I had in my cart. Based on my very limited experience with it the Adams Idea Pro Black hybrid is an awesome club. It should come with a scope because it really was a sniper weapon.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Depends BK, what do you mean by weight?

A: Overall heft of the club with the shaft installed?

B: Headweight at address/while swinging?

I've found it fascinating lately to hand a guy a iron shaft around 90 grams when he wants 130 but have it spec out at D5 head weight instead of D1. Suddenly he has no problem with the weight and picks up distance.

Alternatively, and I often fall here is when you go to a heavier weight shaft but reduce the swing weight so the club doesn't feel so hefty. Rolling in with a 130g shaft in a 300g head and weighted at D4/D5 makes for a damn hefty club. Change that to D1 say, and watch how the brain is tricked into not finding it heavy and allowing for a free swing in the correct tempo.

Very interesting that you bring that up. I honestly don't get the swingweight as a way to "measure" a club. I have 2 clubs that are both about the same C2/C3 but one weighs 440g the other 390. They feel nothing alike. I don't mind a heavier overall club, but putting that weight more towards the head does indeed "feel" better to me!

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

• SPY VIP

Definitely heavy...

For irons and wedges it's C-Taper or DG (don't love the feel of PX). Anything else and the numbers suffer (and I suffer enough as it is).

Based on feedback from fitters, and the numbers I've seen on the Trackman I've decided to go heavier in my woods as well. Granted, the one on one time I spent with Roger Cleveland (mostly with my grip) had something to do with it, but when we dropped an 80 gram shaft in the RAZR XTREME Driver my spin numbers improved dramatically. If you've seen my numbers in our reviews you know that 4000RPM with a driver isn't an unusual occurrence for me. With the XTREME and an 80 gram Diamana Kai'Li, my spin numbers seldom topped 2800 and on occasion dipped close to the 2200 RPM mark.

Tom Wishon says weight is the variable for which change will have the greatest impact for the average golfer. Based on what I've seen I believe it, which is why I'm also starting to experiment with heavier shafts in my hybrids as well. I may even look at something in the 90-100 gram (Sergio style) range for my driver and/or fairway woods.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Definitely heavy...

For irons and wedges it's C-Taper or DG (don't love the feel of PX). Anything else and the numbers suffer (and I suffer enough as it is).

Based on feedback from fitters, and the numbers I've seen on the Trackman I've decided to go heavier in my woods as well. Granted, the one on one time I spent with Roger Cleveland (mostly with my grip) had something to do with it, but when we dropped an 80 gram shaft in the RAZR XTREME Driver my spin numbers improved dramatically. If you've seen my numbers in our reviews you know that 4000RPM with a driver isn't an unusual occurrence for me. With the XTREME and an 80 gram Diamana Kai'Li, my spin numbers seldom topped 2800 and on occasion dipped close to the 2200 RPM mark.

Tom Wishon says weight is the variable for which change will have the greatest impact for the average golfer. Based on what I've seen I believe it, which is why I'm also starting to experiment with heavier shafts in my hybrids as well. I may even look at something in the 90-100 gram (Sergio style) range for my driver and/or fairway woods.

I was there, I saw it: A) Roger Cleveland knows a couple of things and B) He does need the weight.

One thing that is under-appreciated when it comes to weight is the balance. I've been hitting a lot of different driver shafts lately and the thing that has stood out to me is how different two 60 gram shafts can feel: you can have a lot of weight in the hands, a lot of head weight, or balance. Depending on where you like to feel the weight, you could be happy with a shaft that is lighter than you usually play if it balances the right way.

Just one more thing to think about. :D

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I was there, I saw it: A) Roger Cleveland knows a couple of things and B) He does need the weight.

One thing that is under-appreciated when it comes to weight is the balance. I've been hitting a lot of different driver shafts lately and the thing that has stood out to me is how different two 60 gram shafts can feel: you can have a lot of weight in the hands, a lot of head weight, or balance. Depending on where you like to feel the weight, you could be happy with a shaft that is lighter than you usually play if it balances the right way.

Just one more thing to think about. :D

Indeed. That's what I was trying to get at with the swing weight comment above. Depending on the balance point I can in a driver roll anywhere from 59g to 84g and be happy and anywhere from 80g to 120g in irons for the same thing.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I play iron shafts the come in around 130 grams, but it's all about the balance. If the head feels light the whole club feels cheap and flippy. I like to feel some weight under the grip pulling my hands through impact, but I also like to feel some club head throughout the swing.

Heavy clubs that have a perfect flex are my favorite. Heavy clubs that feel too stiff are the worst – I'de rather play lighter and flexible than heavy and too stiff, but heavy with the right flex is the winner.

I spy with my little eye something...

Archived