TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mizuno numbering

revkev

Okay I'm ready to ask a stupid question because it's the only way I'm going to learn.

Can someone please translate the Mizuno MP line for me going back to the days when they started the numbering system.

Another words the MP 53's are player's muscle backs, the MP 68's are blades or whatever. I'd love to know what the MP 32 is vs. the MP 53 and to be able to have an intelligent converstation about it.

Thanks in advance.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great question...one I'd like to know as well.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

No.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

The 53s are a pocket cavity back

59s are a "modern CB" type design

64s are a players pure CB

69s are a blade

Subtract one from each and its the same thing just a generation older.

It seems the higher the number the more playersish the iron is compared to its generation (68s are more than 69s, but they are a generation old).

Not too familiar with the older ones. Really if ya google an image of it you can see what it is.

I hope this is the question you were trying to ask.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

The 53s are a pocket cavity back

59s are a "modern CB" type design

64s are a players pure CB

69s are a blade

Subtract one from each and its the same thing just a generation older.

It seems the higher the number the more playersish the iron is compared to its generation (68s are more than 69s, but they are a generation old).

Not too familiar with the older ones. Really if ya google an image of it you can see what it is.

I hope this is the question you were trying to ask.

It's spot on exactly what I'm asking and also for the lower numbering system as well - sometimes pictures don't do justice and I suspect that there are some here who can fill in the blanks for us.

Thanks for the great start.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Just after some basic googling they appear to be all over the place in the older numbers. Tonight I can go through and post what each one would be considered.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Just after some basic googling they appear to be all over the place in the older numbers. Tonight I can go through and post what each one would be considered.

I'd really appreciate that. I'm a pretty good player but like many golfers very ignorant about the equipment that I use - I'm getting better informed thanks in large part to this site. I want to keep learning and growing in regards to information - one way to do that is to be conversant with what's gone before.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

This is slightly harder to follow than Genesis Chapter 5 but I will try to explain my understanding of what irons begot what.

In the beginning, well, before 2000 there was the MP9. It begot the MP 14 and the MP29. These were both blades but with differing soles and offsets. Some people say one is great and the other is horrid. But they were similar in design.

Around 2002, the MP14 was given newer lofts and sole grinds and became the MP33. A cavity back version was introduced in '03 and it became the MP30. And in ‘04 the 29 was updated and became the MP37. Sparking the debate about which was better the 33 or 37. The main difference remained the offset.

In '06, Mizuno developed the Cut Muscle and spawned the MP32 a cut muscle blade and the MP60, a cavity back with a cut muscle. So the 30 became the 60, the 37 became the 32 and the 33 stayed the 33.

In '08, the 33 and 32 were combined to make the MP67. (33+32=67?) and the 60 became the MP57. (I guess they needed 3 from somewhere so they added it to get the 67.) Also an oversized version of the 60 was created with a hollow design creating the MP FLI HI.

In '09, we see perhaps the reason for this madness because they altered the 67 and gave it a “Dual Muscle” and called it the MP62 and the enlarged the cavity on the 57 and created the MP52 “pocket cavity”. So they had the MP67, MP62, MP57, MP52, and the MP FLI HI.

2010 we see an update to the MP67 creating the MP68. And the cut muscle of the 57 is replaced with a different metal accomplishing the same thing, and creates the MP58. And the same technology is added to the MP FLI HI creating the MP FLI HI DLR.

In '12, the complete line is changed except for the Fli Hi and we have the 68 becoming the MP69. The 58 becomes the MP59 with smoother curves, the 52 gets a triangular shaped muscles and becomes the MP53 as does the 62 becoming the MP63.

Now in 2013, we see the continuation of the 59 and 69. The 63 gets redesigned with more muscle becoming the MP64. And the MP53 and the MP FLI HI DLR are combined to create the H4.

Leaving us with the MP59, MP69, MP64 and the H4.

While we have made every effort to ensure the accuracy of this post, we assume no responsibility of errors, omissions, or damage therein caused.

This is slightly harder to follow than Genesis Chapter 5 but I will try to explain my understanding of what irons begot what.

In the beginning, well, before 2000 there was the MP9. It begot the MP 14 and the MP29. These were both blades but with differing soles and offsets. Some people say one is great and the other is horrid. But they were similar in design.

Around 2002, the MP14 was given newer lofts and sole grinds and became the MP33. A cavity back version was introduced in '03 and it became the MP30. And in ‘04 the 29 was updated and became the MP37. Sparking the debate about which was better the 33 or 37. The main difference remained the offset.

In '06, Mizuno developed the Cut Muscle and spawned the MP32 a cut muscle blade and the MP60, a cavity back with a cut muscle. So the 30 became the 60, the 37 became the 32 and the 33 stayed the 33.

In '08, the 33 and 32 were combined to make the MP67. (33+32=67?) and the 60 became the MP57. (I guess they needed 3 from somewhere so they added it to get the 67.) Also an oversized version of the 60 was created with a hollow design creating the FLI HI.

In '09, we see perhaps the reason for this madness because they altered the 67 and gave it a “Dual Muscle” and called it the MP62 and the enlarged the cavity on the 57 and created the MP52 “pocket cavity”. So they had the MP67, MP62, MP57, MP52, and the MP FLI HI.

2010 we see an update to the MP67 creating the MP68. And the cut muscle of the 57 is replaced with a different metal accomplishing the same thing, and creates the MP58. And the same technology is added to the MP FLI HI creating the MP FLI HI DLR.

In '12, the complete line is changed except for the Fli Hi and we have the 68 becoming the MP69. The 58 becomes the MP59 with smoother curves, the 52 gets a triangular shaped muscles and becomes the MP53 as does the 62 becoming the MP63.

Now in 2013, we see the continuation of the 59 and 69. The 63 gets redesigned with more muscle becoming the MP64. And the MP53 and the MP FLI HI DLR are combined to create the H4.

While we have made every effort to ensure the accuracy of this post, we assume no responsibility of errors, omissions, or damage therein caused.

The numbering logic makes perfect sense now... :wacko:

As you can see it is easy to see that the MP 69 can be traced back directly to the MP9 but so can the H4. While one is basically the seventh version of the same thing, the other is the seventh evolution of that iron.

I may have missed some irons. I had to look each up individually to see. I do not care enough about the MX to JPX like to trace that linage. It is probably much more involved.

My head is spinning. Or is it my computer screen? I'm too dizzy to know! :lol:

All's I know is my "new love" is the MP 59. Haven't hit them to know if I get along with them. But they have to be the best looking player's cavity I've laid eyes on.

Thanks RR - I'm not concerned about the JPX thing because that's not where the buzz is with Mizunon anyway.

I do think that there are some other numbers - hopefully Ice will come through and fill in those gaps.

It's actually Genesis 6 that presents the most difficulties - perhaps in the entire Bible. ;)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's actually Genesis 6 that presents the most difficulties - perhaps in the entire Bible. ;)

Perhaps it is because I have never been able to get past, Chapter 5 I did not know that.

Any particular number?

I know there are a few more numbers than that. I'll dig around tonight when I have time to.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

I should say that I didn't give my narrative because that's what I thought was right - it's how I was hoping these would be described -

So far the descripitons have been just that - very helpful and very informative.

Thanks to all.

It's the first four or five verses of 6 RR - lots of confusion there particularly with the complexities of the Hebrew language. Very understandable why anyone would have trouble getting out of Genesis 5 because of all the names.

I'm starting to get a handle on the Mizuno thing - also staring to wish I had gotten something in the 50's but I'm very happy with what I have - I think that statement is more of an ego thing than anything else. Maybe I better go and read Romans 3. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I've wondered about Mizuno's numbering system before so this topic is pretty interesting but confusing at the same time. Also, while on the subject of Mizuno irons, what do you guys think about the new JPX 825 Pros?

Nice club. With the same shaft, it actually gave me the same numbers as the 53's. Very clean, monochrome presentation. I was impressed.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

As I wrote elsewhere I do like the 825 Pros very much. In fact I wouldn't have started this thread if I didn't like them so much.

I played the original Adams Idea Pros for a couple of seasons - couldn't really handle the shaft that came in them - Dynamic Gold Black something or other that was 130 grams so I switched to a lighter shaft and they were very nice - my kid has them now although he reshafted them again with something heavier and stiffer - I went to graphite and something more player friendly.

I'd say the 825 Pros are a bit easier to hit than those Adams were and I greatly prefer the shaft that I have in them - I can really control the ball flight very well and I generally play in windy conditions - when you look at a map of Florida I'm on that little nip on the west coast that's a Penninsula on the Penninsula in between Tampa Bay and the Gulf.

Back to the numbering thing I'm glad others have these questions - It's clear to me that Mizuno makes a great iron - you show up at a course or a range with these in the bag and hit a few decent looking shots and you've got guys coming over to you telling stories about their favorite set of Mizzies. I'm starting to get it as to why.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Here is a visual representation for those that like that sort of thing. It's from Mizzy Europe so there might be a few numbers missing or different than the US versions, but most are accounted for. Sadly it stops at 2011 so doesn't have the current stuff.

Mizzy Timeline

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Here is a visual representation for those that like that sort of thing. It's from Mizzy Europe so there might be a few numbers missing or different than the US versions, but most are accounted for. Sadly it stops at 2011 so doesn't have the current stuff.

Mizzy Timeline

The problem with this is that it not really correct in that the MP62 is not a descendent of the MP60, the MP57 comes from them.

I have a spreadsheet that I did but does anyone know how to up load a spreadsheet or a ,pdf ?

Great thread, although I'm not sure I understand the logic behind the numbering progression any better than I did before!

Having recently switched to the MP-58's, I have to say that the feel is so much better than my Cleveland CGs!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Great thread, although I'm not sure I understand the logic behind the numbering progression any better than I did before!

Having recently switched to the MP-58's, I have to say that the feel is so much better than my Cleveland CGs!

I do not think that anyone at Mizuno thought about having a numbering system that anyone else could understand until 2007. It appears to me that they followed no logical system until 2008 and they had to rename the MP60 to MP57 in order for this system to work. Unfortunately, they have simply used up their numbers now and are going to have to change from the pseudo system they have had since 2008.

The problem with this is that it not really correct in that the MP62 is not a descendent of the MP60, the MP57 comes from them.

I have a spreadsheet that I did but does anyone know how to up load a spreadsheet or a ,pdf ?

Attach the same way as a picture. A spreadsheet file itself probably isn't the way to go. But a PDF like you said would work like a pic.

Attach the same way as a picture. A spreadsheet file itself probably isn't the way to go. But a PDF like you said would work like a pic.

I tried that and it would not do it as a PDF.

You can't. You have to load the table as HTML. Email me the spreadsheet and I'll convert it for you if you want (PM me if you need my email address).

Maybe jump everything up ten now? The next MP59 becomes the MP70 and the next 64s/69s become MP80 and MP85?

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Archived