TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cigars and Beer

JBones

I've been doing some research online about pairing cigars and beer; I always have bourbon, scotch, or wine with my smoke. One of the local liquor stores has a cooler full of individual beers, so you can make your own cases and it has probably 100-200 different beers to choose from. I'm going to make up a case to take with me for over Christmas, as my bro-in-law and I will be drinking and smoking the whole time. Anyone have any suggestions on a specific beer or beer "flavor" to go with?

I have become a fan of IPA's and Maduro cigars. This reminded me to order some more cigars, I got a case of Ranger IPA yesterday, and they are out of my favorite cheap cigars so I have to find some more. I bought some mid priced and some cheaper priced cigars, and much like wine, you can not always go by the price. I liked the cheaper cigars best. Now I am out and so is my supplier, Famous Smoke Shop. So I have to cigar shop on line.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I've been doing some research online about pairing cigars and beer; I always have bourbon, scotch, or wine with my smoke. One of the local liquor stores has a cooler full of individual beers, so you can make your own cases and it has probably 100-200 different beers to choose from. I'm going to make up a case to take with me for over Christmas, as my bro-in-law and I will be drinking and smoking the whole time. Anyone have any suggestions on a specific beer or beer "flavor" to go with?

Hey Jbones,

Have been wanting to get around to this but haven't yet. Here are a couple I tired and really liked.

Stone - Old Gaudian (heavy stout dark beer probably nice wiht a full flavored naduro)

Dogifsh - Noble rot (probably good with a mild to medium)

Unibroue - Grand Reserve 17 (med to full flavor)

funky jewbelation - (probably will go with an assortment of cigar flavors top to bottom.

Jbones,

Haven't really had a "lambic" beer per se but by the definition it looks as if this beer is sour or fruity which I believe any nice Connecticut would blend well. The knowledge o is sour and there are Saison beers out there sour too I could be off the beaten path as I am not familiar with these. Maybe u can enlighten a brotha😇

Jbones,

Haven't really had a "lambic" beer per se but by the definition it looks as if this beer is sour or fruity which I believe any nice Connecticut would blend well. The knowledge o is sour and there are Saison beers out there sour too I could be off the beaten path as I am not familiar with these. Maybe u can enlighten a brotha😇

I love Lindemans Lambic Framboise (raspberry) for dessert. They are very fruity and sour. I think they are more like a champagne than a beer.

I didn't end up getting a lambic, but I did pick up several other beers that were amazing with the smokes. I'll list them by day.

Saturday - Goose Islands Pepe Nero with a Romeo y Julieta Vintage

Sunday - after lunch- Oaken Barrels Epiphany with a Romeo y Julieta Real Reserve after dinner - Scaldis Noel with a Oliva Vindicator

Monday - OB Epiphany with a Oliva Connecticut

There were more beers, but these were the best and are now my top three beers of all time, in this order Scaldis Noel/Pepe Nero/Epiphany.

Thanks jbones! Need to see if I can grab these in my area. Here's another brand you might want to look into.

Oskar blues....pretty much all versions they only make cans and are based in Colorado. Don't be put off by the can these beers are great. Personally I liked the old chub scotch ale goes great with anything. But they have 7-8 beers ranging from the coors light drinkers to the imperial heavy stouts....

The Pepe Nero you will probably be able to find, but Scaldis Noel and Epiphany are both seasonals. The Epiphany is made here in Indiana and they don't carry it at a whole lot of places.

The Pepe Nero is amazing though, below is a little info from Goose Islands website.

Brewer's Notes:

With an aroma of roasted chestnuts and a mysteriously dark, mahogany hue, Pepe Nero is a farmhouse ale brewed with black peppercorns. His roasty sweetness melds into a lingering, earthy, black pepper finish that is ideal for pairing with grilled meats and roasted vegetables.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a nice mild connecticut with a scotch (or two or three) and some jazz sitting out in my back yard last night.

Really the perfect day - church, a round of golf, grilled steaks and then the cigar and scotch afterwards - doesn't get much better than that - there's a nice little water way in my back yard - it was great. One of my college roomates was in town.

My first cigar was about a month ago - I do get why people enjoy them - very relaxing.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

REV what a great day...man do I have envy! While using tabaco products isn't my great accomplishment I do use it sparingly and enjoy every minute of the smokes. I have yet to sit with a nice scotch and a cigar due to the rules of not being able to smoke indoors. ahve to look into grabbing a bottle and having one over the wekend in the yard sometime. problem is I don't quite have a waterway in my backyard. I live in the concrete jungle of the city so suffice to say I have a cement back yard that is about 200 sq ft. either way i ahve the gril and can be at piece once the kid is asleep.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Try a Kona Brewing Company Pipeline Porter and a Padron Anniversario... Yaaaaaaa Buddy...

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I don't know if I could do a porter even with a cigar. I hate cold coffee and thats exactly what porters taste like to me.

on the same note I cannot smoke a cigar and drink a Hefeweizen beer. :D

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I agree. My favorite so far is the Goose Island Pepe Nero, which is a spicey Belgian style ale. Belgian style ales are about my favorite to pair with cigars.

Cheers to that !!!!! I have actually had a Goose Island Pepe Nero!!!!! think it was at a pub in Arlington Heights or Mundeleine Ill. Perfect pairing with a GIANT Steak to boot.....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 2 weeks later...

Whiskey :Laphroaig 10 year, Canadian Club 10 year. Jameson's

Gin: Bombay Safire

Beer: any!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

For me: PORT

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Good evening gentlemen. I enjoyed a couple of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ales (Barleywine style) while watching the Honda Classic today. I'm having a nice pour of Talisker 18 (Scotch) while perusing this fine forum at the moment.

I hope you all had some great pours on your last weekend day. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Vodka guy here!

grey goose

I have been known to indugle in the beer occasionally too. recently a little too much and have to hit the GYM. the goose islands are becoming a favorite had the indian ale over the weekend also had a troegs dream weaver very light wheat ale which was quite nice. I try a couple different brews every weekend but need to start keeping track :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Chiming in on this thread as I sit here enjoying a Punch Champion torpedo and a Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Coincidence, but a very nice combination.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

And while I'm at it, try a Dogfish Chickory Stout with a medium bodied smoke. Great pairing, IMO.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

• 4 months later...

I had a very good pairing this past week,

Sam Adams IPL with a Padron Natural - very, very nice combo. Alright so I had two beers with the cigar but it was nice. B)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I had a very good pairing this past week,

Sam Adams IPL with a Padron Natural - very, very nice combo. Alright so I had two beers with the cigar but it was nice. B)

TWO thumbs up

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Archived