TESTERS WANTED! ×

Miura Baby Blade

Firstkart

The Miura baby blade 57 Series 6 iron arrived today. Fitted with KBS C Taper shaft, stiff flex.

Just a couple of teaser pics and one of a comparison against my Mizuno MP-59 6 iron. Miura is on the left.

First impression off the mat in the shed is that contact with the ball is clean and crisp and launches much lower than the Mizuno. The Mizuno is fitted with a KBS Tour shaft, stiff flex.

It is interesting that the hosel is longer than the Mizuno and the head is smaller.

I will up date after I get a chance to use it on range.

miura3.jpg

miura2.jpg

miura1.jpg

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Beauty wish I could play them. We would expect the kbs tour to launch higher a the c taper controls the flight a little correct? Man hitting the pure with a c taper must produce penetrating shots

Feels very nice even hitting off the mat. I will get a chance to belt some balls at the club tonight.

AJ

WITB

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

Wow. Beautiful clubs, both of them, but the miura especially. I imagine they will serve you well, I am looking forward to seeing more reactions to them from you.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

Funny thing is....the 59's are not a big head....but those Miura make them look so.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Hey all,

Yes not like mizuno makes big blades but the baby's are just that I have the cb 501 s and realized I need to upgrade or increase size 😭 for us stubborn folks its tough but this forum has made me get over the testisteone and realize performance is ultimate goal that and some BS performance in local qualifiers

Well, I can tell you the launch conditions are due to the 2 different shafts. I've yet to see a Baby Blade in person, not many people in the small town I live in have ever even heard of Miura, and the ones that have are almost comparable golf ho's as I am, lol. Had I known about his clubs when I was in high school and playing every day and had time to practice daily, I'd have searched out a set of the Baby Blades (I played and wore out 3 sets of MP33's). But now, there's no way I'd attempt to put them in play. I played to scratch then and had some game. Now, though, I'm wiser in my years (11 of them since that time), well, not wiser just have less time to practice, LOL. So I don't try to force myself to play something I don't have the time to work with, and play a CB (though I've bought and owned several sets of blades in the last few years flirting with going back to the butterknife size I still love looking down at). Kudos to you, and there's nothing that matches the simplistic beauty of Miura-san's clubs.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

When Miura calls them a, "baby" blade they arent kidding! Ive tried various Miuras in the past and theyre nice but the feel is a bit too firm for me. I prefer the, "buttery soft" feel of Mizunos. To me, Miuras feel a lot like Bridgestones, which are all great irons.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

ULTIMATE REVIEW MIURA 57 SERIES 6 IRON (Baby Blades)

Hmmmmmmmmmm Beer.

Like Homer Simpson drools over beer, most of us (well me at least) cannot resist the allure of a blade and the Miura 57 Series Baby Blades are arguably the most alluring of them all.

Katsuhiro Miura is the man behind the Miura the legacy that began in 1957 in Himeji, Japan where some of the most famous sword forgers plied their art to create beautiful weapons for the Samurai.

Like his ancestors, Miura San uses these techniques of forging steel to create a precise blend of hardness throughout the blade to create a sweet spot like no other and softness in the hosel that absorbs the shock of impact with equal precision.

Why a Blade– Because I can!

Should I? Probably Not!

SUBJECTIVE SCORING

LOOKS

My first impression of the 57 Series blade is that it is noticeably smaller than any iron I have ever seen. This however does not detract from the beautiful lines and if anything creates the mystique of how it will feel and the level of control one will be able to impart on the ball.

At address the club has a thin (and I mean thin) topline, and the ball takes up most of the face which I find gives a feeling of confidence that the contact is going to be impressive. (read – How Can I Miss)?

One thing that stands out is the length of the hosel, which is 5mm (0.20”) longer than the hosel on my Mizuno MP-59. But again does not detract from the aesthetics.

The KBS C-Taper shaft is a rifle type shaft with no steps and gives the impression that it is lighter than the Tour version. This is purely an aesthetic perception and is not the reality.

Looks Score: 100

Feel

The feel of the Miura is reminiscent to that of a katana (I am a student of Iaido) in that it feels heavy in the hand but has a well-balanced feel when put to the intended use.

Now let's talk about the feel of this instrument when striking a ball. To quote a popular song I can only say OMG.

Do you fall into any of the following categories?

· Never heard of Miura;

· Never hit a blade;

· Have hit a blade but can't control it;

· I have hit a Miura before, but not one of these;

· I play blades from another OEM;

· I do not like blades;

· Etc., etc.

I will go on the record and say that this iron is by far the most amazing piece of golf equipment I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

Put away and preconceptions or bad experiences with blades and try these NOW!!!

Feel Score: Perfection 100

Perceived Distance

Do I warm up with a short iron from 59's, say 9 iron? Do I warm up with my driver? I am thinking that to get true Perceived Distance I should warm up on the net at home and then go to the range and get straight into the Miura.

So, here I am at the range with the Miura and my MP-59 and having gone with the warm up at home option I set up a ball. A couple of ¼ practice swings, line up the flag on the range that I would typically hit my 6 iron to and let rip with about an 80% swing. NO, that cannot be, WTF!! The ball has gone past my normal 6 iron distance (including roll out) in the air and then rolled out for a total of 30 metres (32.8 yards) beyond my best MP-59 6 irons shot ever. I normally hit an average of 155 metres (169 Yards) with the MP-59 6iron.

First reaction is that this was a fluke. Put a second ball down, krank out (excuse the simile) a 90% swing, OMG (again) the second ball lands so close to the first ball on the full that I thought it was going to hit it. “Oh come on” I here you say, “This is BS” someone else offers. Well I am here to tell you that the third ball leaves the face with just as much enthusiasm as the first two and lands 10 metres short of the 2 balls already in play and rolls out another 5 metres past them.

Nothing to perceive here, this club is longggggggggg!!

Perceived Distance Score:100

Perceived Accuracy

The accuracy of this gorgeous piece of precision art is incredible, (do I sound like a fan)?

After the first 3 balls I knock out 10 more at 80% and if you recall the term “throw a blanket over them” being thrown around by a Pro recently to describe a club he gets paid to use then I will describe my grouping as towel like. WOW, WOW and WOW.

Perceived Accuracy Score:100

Perceived Forgiveness

Miura San does not mention forgiveness when describing his creation that is the 57 Series and only offers up that “That's because it's so easy to hit”.

I suppose that for the majority of us the use of the term “easy to hit” and “blade” in the same context is an Oxymoron, (like “Police Intelligence”), well they are and for the next 100 balls I hit bullet after bullet from wherever I dropped the ball in the tee box.

PerceivedForgiveness Score: 100 (getting a little predictable here)

Likelihood ofPurchase

The six iron is already bagged (probably not a good idea) and I have ordered the rest of the set.

I thought that my Mizuno MP-59's were a good thing and would be hard to find an iron that would replace them, let alone a blade. Please don't get me wrong the MP's are great but the Miura 57 Series is awesome.

Likelihood of Purchase Score: 100.00

Conclusion

If there was ever any doubt that the Miura 57 Series Baby Blades are a handmade precision tool sculptured by one of the world's best craftsmen all you have to do is try one to dispel that theory instantly.

Get online and order one of their test irons right now and experience a true marvel of what can only be described as simply the best iron I have ever had the pleasure of striking a golf ball with, BAR NONE.

Of course we all have our favourite shafts but for my money, the KBS C-Taper shaft is a must in these irons as the trajectory and feel compliments the heads beautifully.

For the purpose of comparison, I have ordered a C-Taper shaft to put in my MP-59 to see if the Mizuno performs any differently than with the Tour version. I am sure it will have a lower trajectory but I doubt if it will have the same feel and distance as the Miura.

WITB

"Go Hard or Go Home"

^^^

Gulp! Gulp!

Somebody likes that Miura Kool-Aid! :lol:

Im glad you said it before I did.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I think there is a lot to be said for the fact that I have possibly found a setup that is just the ducks nuts for me.

I played 18 this morning and played 6 below my handicap and every shot with the Miura was a draw. My typical shot with the 59' s is a fade so I found that when the shot called for the Miura it was a challenge to reset and play for the draw. I find that I am not thinking about squaring the face and I can just go into automatic and swing away at a target.

The contact with the ball is effortless and it drives off the face with a lovely penetrating trajectory. I even made it my goto club for those choke down little punch shots under trees etc and worked probably more due to the confidence that the club inspires.

It will be several weeks before I get the rest of the set but I am really looking forward to my first round with them.

AJ

WITB

"Go Hard or Go Home"

HaHa, isn't it nice to answer "why?" with a three word response?

Brief, concise & to the point!

Been doin it in most areas of my life for the better part of 21 years. HaHa

Like my father has always(I got it from him) said, "It ain't braggin & it ain't arrogant if ya do it, it's nothin more than fact."

Yep

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

People who know me understand that I am blunt and straight to the point and if you don't like what I have to say, too bad!

Like you Richard I also have absorbed a lot of my personality traits from my father and it is scary how many times I have done or said something and then had a flash back thinking " Damn I sound like my father". I watch my 2 boys, (one is 25 and the youngest is 9) and it is one of my proudest moments when I see me in what they do and say sometimes.

Merry Xmas

AJ

WITB

"Go Hard or Go Home"

I watch my 2 boys, (one is 25 and the youngest is 9) and it is one of my proudest moments when I see me in what they do and say sometimes.

Sometimes :D

Other times I think....dang....really need to watch my mouth :(

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I had the chance to hit the 1957 one time and best blade i have ever hit to date. I had a review of them somewhere on this site.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I had the chance to hit the 1957 one time and best blade i have ever hit to date. I had a review of them somewhere on this site.

I found your post and I like your comments on the Miura baby blades.

As I mentioned earlier I have more than likely stumbled onto the perfect fit in the 57 series and the KBS C-Taper combination that suits my swing at this moment.

I have played a couple of rounds and had a few range sessions with the 6 iron and the feel and workability of the Miura is complimenting me very well. Honestly it is making me look like a much better golfer than I am. (or is that the real trick to golf, get fit for your clubs and find the best combination that works for you)?

I have a lesson booked next week with my pro and will be interesting to see what his feedback is.

AJ

WITB

"Go Hard or Go Home"

• 1 month later...

Firstkart, I agree with you on the Miura BB s I have two sets of them and love them.. I hit my Baby Blades far over and better than any cavity back or even the Miura tournament blades, the 501s etc.. They are a pure delight to play with... Their standard wedges are also premo to use... Now if I could only hit my hybrid and wood anywhere close to what I do the Baby Blades.. ??? I have my blades with Nippon reg 850 shafts..

• 2 weeks later...

The Miura baby blade 57 Series 6 iron arrived today. Fitted with KBS C Taper shaft, stiff flex.

Just a couple of teaser pics and one of a comparison against my Mizuno MP-59 6 iron. Miura is on the left.

First impression off the mat in the shed is that contact with the ball is clean and crisp and launches much lower than the Mizuno. The Mizuno is fitted with a KBS Tour shaft, stiff flex.

It is interesting that the hosel is longer than the Mizuno and the head is smaller.

I will up date after I get a chance to use it on range.

miura3.jpg

miura2.jpg

miura1.jpg

AJ

how do you like the nunchuk shaft on the TM RBZ...what length? something I'm considering for my RBZ (i'm more firm/reg shaft)...98mph

Not shocking the C-Taper is designed to be a low lunch compared to the Tour that change in ball flight is probably mostly shaft honestly.

I noticed that the width (left to right looking at the face straight on) was about the same as other blades I have tried. The biggest cahnge is the 1957 height profile is a lot shorter by about 1/4 of the height of a typical blade like my FG62s.

I wrote a write up on the Miura Baby Blade last year, they are the best damn things I have hit to date. Freaking sweet irons and I didn't even test them with the typical shat I would play.

Here is that link, not as many pictures mostly words and some debating as always: http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/5903-miura-irons/

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Archived