Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Your favorite architect and course

turfman382

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to know who your favorite course architect and course is and why.

My favorites would be:

Current- Tom Doak and Mike Devries

These guys are pure minimalist. They take the lay of the land and create masterpieces without moving an obscene amount of dirt.

Pacific Dunes and Old Macdonald are two of my favorites that Doak has done, but every course he's done is amazing in its own right. You can go to www.renaissancegolf.com and see a list of his work.

Mike Devries has done some amazing properties as well. The Kingsley Club and Greywalls are my two favorite of his. Go to devriesdesigns.com to see some of his work.

I had the priveledge of meeting these men and playing a few of their courses while living and working in Northern Michigan. I will say my favorite course in Michigan is Forest Dunes Golf Club. A good friend of mine is the superintendent and it is an amazing property. If you are in Northern Michigan it's a must that you play this property. It's a Tom Weiskopf design but different than any other Weiskopf course I've ever played.

Classic- Seth Raynor, Alister MacKenzie, Bert Wray, Robert Trent Jones

Bert Wray was the original architect for the South Course at Firestone CC (1928) with Jones doing the renovation(1960)With Firestone being in my back yard growing up and then having the priveledge to work there for 6 years. You just get this this feeling you can't describe when you step foot on the course (whether you're playing or working)

Seth Raynor and Alister MacKenzie. Their names speak for themselves. If you are a golf purist there is nothing better. With Raynor you have Shoreacres, Grennbrier, Camargo, and list goes on. Here is a great article about Seth Raynor http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Seth-Raynor-paradoxical-designer/2005/Default.aspx

With Alister MacKenzie you have Crystal Downs, The Scarlet and Grey courses at my alma mater Ohio State, The Old Course at St Andrews with Old Tom Morris, Augusta, and the list goes on. I was fortunate to get to play the courses at Ohio State whenever time permitted and even got to play The University of (cough, cough) Michigan course and Crystal Downs while living in Michigan.

I hope one day to have the honor and priveledge of maintaining any of the gentlemen listed above works of art. Trying to keep it, to the best of my abilities, the way they invisioned and built the properties.

Sorry I tend to ramble on when discussing the above, but I guess you can say I'm passionate about it.

Can't wait to hear back from some you and thanks for reading,

Jason

Driver- Ping i20 9.5* w/ GD Tour AD-DI7S

Fwy- Adams Super Fairway 3T 16* GD Tour AD-DJ7S

Hybrid- Still not sure???

Irons- MP-58 4 iron KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" 1*strong

MP-68 5-PW KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" 1* strong

Wedges- Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 52* and 58*

Putter- Ping Anser 4 Beryllium 34" I call her "ol' faithful"

Grips- Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compund Black/White logo down

Ball- ProV1x

First off if I missed you elsewhere welcome and great thread!!!!!!

I'm a Pete Dye guy - of course he's the anti minimalist. I've played at least a dozen of his courses and loved everyone of them to death at first site. I suspect it's because he's figured out the secret of how to defend a course against distance - long and straight is fine on his courses but long and wild will not do - I love that.

At any rate my favorite of his courses is Blackwolf Run - the original 18 though not either of the two amalgoms that one would typically play at the resorts. I've yet to play TPC Sawgrass though - did play Kiahwa and have played Whistling still prefer Blackwolf.

For classic courses my favorite is Donald Ross but I don't have the experience with some of the other classics as many others do - I love the way Ross allows for ample room off the tee and yet rewards accuracy on the tee shot because there is always a best line of approach into his greens.

I know you didn't mention it but I'm going to add that Arnold Palmer is far and away my least favorite course architect - love Arnie, loved him as a player, as an ambassador for the game - don't like his courses. I find them to be tricked up and there is always a hole or holes where I walk away from it/them saying, "Uh?"

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Gil Hanse- Rustic Canyon

Pete Dye- Lost Canyon(sky course) should be called Lost Ball but I like the chalange.

Billy Bell JR- River Ridge Ventura CA

And my all time fav Robert Trent Jones Sr- Mount Kidd Course Kananaskis CC

I like all course architects keep em coming.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I'll keep mine short:

Tom Fazio. Every Fazio course I've played has so many options that you could play forever and not get bored.

I would give him a very, very close second to Dye - World Woods courses are a ridiculous value and I've played three or four other courses of his that I've enjoyed immensely.

IMO they are very similar in their approach to course design - they present you with multiple options and then let you pick the best path home for your game. It's really a joy to play a course by either one of them.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Dye is great as well. While at OSU there were 2 Dye courses in the Columbus area. Greenbelt, a very nice, affordable track. It was a blast to play. Then there was The Golf Club in New Albany. Fantastic course. A true heartbreak was when Bostom Mills about 15 minutes north of Akron was let go. I haven't been up that way in awhile so I'm not sure if it's housing or shopping center now. It was a great property but the economy just couldn't support the course and it's needs.

Ross is another great one. With Corr and Crenshaw doing the restoration on Pinehurst #2, It's on my list of all time favorites. Simply beautiful. I can't wait to see the Open in 14 or 15 there, I can't remember.

I have a few I absolutely despise but I do not want to mention names. I do not want to burn any bridges, lol.

Another great website I can spend hours upon hours on is www.golfclubatlas.com. It shows so many properties from all around the world. After reading so much about it on that site and the influence it had on so many greats I would have to say that the National Golf Links of America is the course I would love to play. Hell even to just walk around it and try to soak it all in would be great.

Sorry to ramble on again but check that site out if you have a few hours to spare.

Ball- ProV1x

Dye is great as well. While at OSU there were 2 Dye courses in the Columbus area. Greenbelt, a very nice, affordable track. It was a blast to play. Then there was The Golf Club in New Albany. Fantastic course. A true heartbreak was when Bostom Mills about 15 minutes north of Akron was let go. I haven't been up that way in awhile so I'm not sure if it's housing or shopping center now. It was a great property but the economy just couldn't support the course and it's needs.

Ross is another great one. With Corr and Crenshaw doing the restoration on Pinehurst #2, It's on my list of all time favorites. Simply beautiful. I can't wait to see the Open in 14 or 15 there, I can't remember.

I have a few I absolutely despise but I do not want to mention names. I do not want to burn any bridges, lol.

Another great website I can spend hours upon hours on is www.golfclubatlas.com. It shows so many properties from all around the world. After reading so much about it on that site and the influence it had on so many greats I would have to say that the National Golf Links of America is the course I would love to play. Hell even to just walk around it and try to soak it all in would be great.

Sorry to ramble on again but check that site out if you have a few hours to spare.

I'm taking it by the screen name that you are a super? I had a member of my church in Sheboygan who was one of the supers at Blackwolf - that's how I got to play all four of those great Dye courses in that area.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Alister Mackenzie. Why? Augusta National. Anyone that's ever been there and walked the grounds can tell you why. Anyone that hasn't really has no idea, IMO, of the intricacies of the course.

If we're talking courses we've played, hmm... I'd have to think.

I like, for some reason, Wes Burnham's Hombre Golf Club in Panama City Beach, Florida a lot because of the kooky layout. Arthur Hills designed Golf Club of Georgia is also a layout I like a lot for some reason. Love both courses at Sea Island too, and both are by different architects, both originally and the redesigns. Fazio's redesign of the Seaside course that Harry Colt and Charles Alison originally designed is great. And the Plantation Course originally by Walter Jones and redesigned by Rees Jones is also great.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

This is a really good topic. I am partial to Rees Jones, I have worked at four courses he has had a hand in, two je has designed and two he has redesigned, each has a unique way of blending with the natural terrain to provide distinctive holes.

My favorite course is Royal County Down, I have been lucky enough to play it a few times. In the US, my favorite course is The Currituck Club in Corolla, North Carolina. I grew up spending time on the Outer Banks and have played the course since it opened in the mid 90's and it has been cool to watch it mature over the years. I even got a job as an assistant one summer while I was in college.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

This is a really good topic. I am partial to Rees Jones, I have worked at four courses he has had a hand in, two je has designed and two he has redesigned, each has a unique way of blending with the natural terrain to provide distinctive holes.

My favorite course is Royal County Down, I have been lucky enough to play it a few times. In the US, my favorite course is The Currituck Club in Corolla, North Carolina. I grew up spending time on the Outer Banks and have played the course since it opened in the mid 90's and it has been cool to watch it mature over the years. I even got a job as an assistant one summer while I was in college.

Dog - that's a life dream for me - to play Royal County Down. Good for you!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My favorite course of all time is Spyglass Hill... And the architect is my favorite. RTJ. I so cannot wait to play it someday.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Alister Mackenzie. Why? Augusta National. Anyone that's ever been there and walked the grounds can tell you why. Anyone that hasn't really has no idea, IMO, of the intricacies of the course.

If we're talking courses we've played, hmm... I'd have to think.

I like, for some reason, Wes Burnham's Hombre Golf Club in Panama City Beach, Florida a lot because of the kooky layout. Arthur Hills designed Golf Club of Georgia is also a layout I like a lot for some reason. Love both courses at Sea Island too, and both are by different architects, both originally and the redesigns. Fazio's redesign of the Seaside course that Harry Colt and Charles Alison originally designed is great. And the Plantation Course originally by Walter Jones and redesigned by Rees Jones is also great.

Thanks for the props to Hills - I've played tons of his courses and love all of them save one - that's why I fail to mention him - I don't like that one but then again who's to say for certain that he's responsible for the issues I have with it - the hazards eat your ball - that could be a course condition issue rather than a design issue - As anyone who has played with me knows I'm pretty straight - the fact that I have trouble with the hazzards tell you all you need to know. I once played with a guy who ran out of balls on this course and he started with 2 dozen. :(

I also like Joe Lee's work - not enough to put him with Fazio/Dye but the guy designed some wonderful golf courses.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm a big Tom Doak fan, also like the Crenshaw/Coore courses. I haven't played alot of classic designs but I'm not really critical of any golf course designs. I love playing different types of courses.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I'm a big Tom Doak fan, also like the Crenshaw/Coore courses. I haven't played alot of classic designs but I'm not really critical of any golf course designs. I love playing different types of courses.

Can we get an Amen from the choir? :)

That's how we roll the + 1's in church circles.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm taking it by the screen name that you are a super? I had a member of my church in Sheboygan who was one of the supers at Blackwolf - that's how I got to play all four of those great Dye courses in that area.

I am. That's a beautiful property. I had the priveledge of meeting Herb Kohler once. He's a very humble individual. I would like to any of the courses there once.

Ball- ProV1x

It truly is a beautiful property - blackwolf and Herb is a great guy beyond a doubt - he didn't attend my church but did attend a variety of services there that involved people from his company - weddings, funerals and such.

Which course are you at - seeing Akron listed makes one wonder if it could be........

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It truly is a beautiful property - blackwolf and Herb is a great guy beyond a doubt - he didn't attend my church but did attend a variety of services there that involved people from his company - weddings, funerals and such.

Which course are you at - seeing Akron listed makes one wonder if it could be........

I was actually at a club in Michigan and just moved back to Akron recently. I was at Firestone for about 6 years. The Club I was at in Michigan unfortunatley succombed to hard economic times and unfortunately closed so now I'm looking for a new job. I have a few interviews scheduled in January and hopefully wil be moving down south or out west. I'll try to attach a few pictures from the tournament at Firestone. They were taken from the top of the water tower.

Have a Happy New Year,

Jason

fcc2.jpg

fcc1.jpg