TESTERS WANTED! ×

Choosing the RIGHT golf ball

Dean23

Hey all, I've been trying to decide on what my next golf ball purchase will be and its kinda becoming a little more confusing every time I try and make a decision. I would really like to know some peoples thoughts and ideas on this subject.

Here is what I'm looking for, and I'm open to try any ball out there......

I have a 6 iron club speed of about 96-98 MPH and produce a lot of spin off of my driver and irons.

My local golf pro said that I need a ball that doesn't produce a lot of spin since I produce the majority of that with my swing, but I'd really like to not give up the "spin" I need around the green, especially in my chips and short irons.

He didn't really suggest a brand name to try, but kinda leaned towards the NXT tour model, but that was all he mentioned before he walked away. Please feel free to give me your opinions and whats worked best for you. THANKS!

Hey all, I've been trying to decide on what my next golf ball purchase will be and its kinda becoming a little more confusing every time I try and make a decision. I would really like to know some peoples thoughts and ideas on this subject.

Here is what I'm looking for, and I'm open to try any ball out there......

I have a 6 iron club speed of about 96-98 MPH and produce a lot of spin off of my driver and irons.

My local golf pro said that I need a ball that doesn't produce a lot of spin since I produce the majority of that with my swing, but I'd really like to not give up the "spin" I need around the green, especially in my chips and short irons.

He didn't really suggest a brand name to try, but kinda leaned towards the NXT tour model, but that was all he mentioned before he walked away. Please feel free to give me your opinions and whats worked best for you. THANKS!

Hi Dean and welcome to the site! I think you may need to let your pro know that you would like a little more guidance with ball selection. I would also suggest you might want to talk to a different pro since since your guy doesn't seem very interested. Good luck with your search.

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

Welcome Dean.

When I am considering trying a new ball, I get a sleeve and play several holes with it and see if it effects my scoring. I know for a fact that I score better with certain balls than others, I will not say that part of it is not mental.:rolleyes:

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Dean: After doing ball fittings a number of times, I'd suggest you need a "Tour" ball that isn't the spin model. You're speed is such that it'll cause excessive spin with certain balls due to there construction. However as you still want control and green side control you can't give it all back.

If you can I'd try and grab some sleeves of a few balls like " ProV1X, Penta5, HexBlack, B330 and X Star XV. Pop out and see how they are off the putter, around the green, iron shots, driver reaction, etc. It'll narrow things down for you pretty quickly.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

For me choosing a ball depends on many other things. I play a lot of pitches and lobs more than bump and runs. The key factor is the receptiveness of greens that I play most. The harder then green, I'll spinnier I'll go. The softer they are I'll go to a ball that spins a little less to keep it straighter and add run out in the fairways.

My home course recently switched superintendents and he has made the greens softer and faster. I can now use a Gamer v2 and get my 6i to stop a pin from where it lands. I could only get that before with a ZStar (not XV).

Thanks guys for your quick response. Yeah the pro was sort of done with me after I made my purchase and was checking out, he kinda checked out himself. I'll be going again soon to pick up my irons that I ordered and will talk with another then.

I've heard great things from the Penta TP3 and TP5. I'll get a sleeve of those and the Bridgestone's too, along with the others. I figured that was the best way to find a ball that works best for me, I just didn't know if there were a set of balls in my "standard" that I needed to look at first.

Also, as far as the ProV1's go, I never really gave them a fair enough shot just because of their price. I like the way the Callaway balls feel off the club face, but haven't tried the HexBlack ones yet. Or the X Star XV.

Thanks again everyone!

I fully agree with Super Tuna here Dave but I'll throw in a twist - you simply need to go with the Pro line model that produces less spin - It's whatever the Pro V1x version is for the particular maker that you are purchasing - get last year's model that will be on sale for around $30 - you'll save the loot and be very happy.

Don't dink around with that next level down - the NXT's and such - unless you are someone who looses tons of balls it doesn't make sense - you want to build your game from the green back and a premium ball helps. You can buy them on the cheap - that's what I always do - buy four dozen of last year's close out, get them stamped with my mark and then look for a similar deal next year - its worked for me every year.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived