TESTERS WANTED! ×

X100 vs KBS Tour X flex

Blade

I asked Super Tuna about this and was about to take over his thread, so I figured I need to start my own.

I have a set of X Protos with KBS Tour X flex shafts. I feel very comfortable with them. I feel like they really unload into the ball with a lot of punch.

I just picked up a set of MP-53s with X100s. I'm getting my swing back after surgery. Once I started loosening up, I could tell I was loading the shaft fine. However, they feel much lighter than my Callys. I have not measured the Protos, but according to Callaway, they are a D-2 sw. Are the Mizunos actually lighter? I don't know. Maybe it's the balance point of the shaft compared to what I'm used to as Rick just suggested. I haven't hit them outside yet to see the ball flight. This much I know so far: I'm not making solid, center contact with them as consistently as I do with the Protos. I just don't feel the club head in the swing as much. I'm sure I would get over that if I spend more time with them. I should probably take them to a club builder I know who can measure the swing weight and see if it's how they're balanced or if the heads are indeed lighter. I was wondering how to increase the sw if that's what I end up wanting to do. I've heard of putting tungsten powder in the tip, but that seems like it would move the sweet spot closer to the hosel since you're not adding the same amount of weight to the toe. Is that the case?

The other thing it feels like so far is that the Mizzys don't pack the same punch. It's not really fair to say that without hitting them outside yet. But that's the best way to describe how it feels. Again, not sure how much of that is the weight of the head and how much is the shaft.

I just weighed a MP59 6 iron head for ya. It weighs 255 grains....don't know if that helps or not!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I just weighed a MP59 6 iron head for ya. It weighs 255 grains....don't know if that helps or not!

Not at the moment cuz I don't have a scale. But the more I tinker, the more I'm thinking about getting one. I'll compare it when I do. Thanks! The 59s are really what I want. I may end up selling these and getting some 59s with KBSs. I need to hit some balls for real before I decide though. I would like to find out if the heads are really lighter than my Protos, or if it's just the weight distribution of the shaft being different that makes them feel that way. Thanks for checking! That will probably come in handy for me to know as I decide which way to go. I appreciate that!

Not at the moment cuz I don't have a scale. But the more I tinker, the more I'm thinking about getting one. I'll compare it when I do. Thanks! The 59s are really what I want. I may end up selling these and getting some 59s with KBSs. I need to hit some balls for real before I decide though. I would like to find out if the heads are really lighter than my Protos, or if it's just the weight distribution of the shaft being different that makes them feel that way. Thanks for checking! That will probably come in handy for me to know as I decide which way to go. I appreciate that!

You can get one of those cheap kitchen scales and use, I did.

On the other thread you said it was during the swing where you really felt it, well that is the KBS Tour vs Dynamic Gold. I played the UST Proforce V2 as a hybrid shaft for many years. Today, because it was cold and my back hurt I pulled my 4 iron out of the bag and stuck in a hybrid with that shaft on it. It felt like a rock on a piece of rebar. I hated it. No feel, I play the KBS Hybrid shaft in steel mostly, but I have a VooDoo in my Adams. But I really should change that to a KBS now that I think about it. It is amazing that the KBS Hybrid fells more of a kick than the VooDoo graphite.

I would bet the swing weights are about the same. I saw that the swing weight is D2 on the Mizunos. The Protos on center hits will feel more powerful than the MP53 because there is more metal behind the ball, but the MP53 will probably be springier and softer feeling.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I wasn't actually able to find the standard swing weight for the X Proto's on Cally's site, but the standard for stock Mizzy is D1-D3. So they actually should be in the same range as the Cally's if you are at D2. Also both the X-100 and KBS Tour X are 130g shafts, so that should be the same as well.

I would recommend getting both sets checked for swing weight, especially if you bought them used. Also the KBS shafts might just be a better fit for you, I'm sure your club builder would be happy to swap the shafts.

If you have access to a scale that can measure the total club weight (shaft, head and grip as is) then you can use something like THIS to get a rough estimate and compare the clubs.

Or for an even rougher estimate, and assuming the clubs are the same length, just find the balance point of each iron and compare it to the other set. If the balance point is closer to the hosel on one set then they are a heavier swing weight.

Lots of things could be causing you to not find the center of the face, your best bet is to take them in for a fitting.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

So I took the 4 iron from each set and just balanced them on my finger. They match. At least as close as you can tell on your finger anyway. They both have the same New Decade grips as well. I think I will take them by the club builder I know. I'm really surprised how drastic the difference in feel is during the swing. I might get a chance to hit them on the driving range today, maybe. That'll give me a better idea what to think. I appreciate everyone's input BTW.

Let us know how it goes, I'm curious if the difference is really just the feel between the KBS and x100 shafts. I've been playing the C-Tapers, but I have a set of x100's as well that I haven't tried out yet.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The balance point on the KBS's is going to be signifigantly higher then the DG (unfortunately despite the finger test) which is why it's going to feel heavier even when they're the same weight. Same will go for Ping's AWT shaft for example.

It's the reason why I have a hard time using KBS shafts if I don't constantly use them. The feeling of a slug of weight close to my hands causing havoc with my feel for the first bit.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

The balance point on the KBS's is going to be signifigantly higher then the DG (unfortunately despite the finger test) which is why it's going to feel heavier even when they're the same weight. Same will go for Ping's AWT shaft for example.

It's the reason why I have a hard time using KBS shafts if I don't constantly use them. The feeling of a slug of weight close to my hands causing havoc with my feel for the first bit.

It seems like more weight in the hands would make the head feel lighter in the swing. I guess not though.

I'm getting along with them better today as far as making center contact goes. Once my brain knows what I'm holding and knows what to expect I guess I adjust. It just surprised me yesterday. The difference felt far more drastic than I expected.

Once I get some time seeing the ball flight, who knows? Maybe I'll like the shafts better. Right now I doubt that. But I've still only hit them inside.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I tried them at the range yesterday. I was hitting shots at the 150 marker with the PW. The practice tee was set up about as far back as it gets and I was at one end of the range shooting at an angle to the marker. I went to shoot it with my range finder to know for sure how far it was and discovered my batteries were dead, dang it. Measuring on Google Earth to the marker from where I was hitting, it says 160. That's probably pretty close given the angle I was coming from.

Anyway, with the 53, it looked like I was about 5-10 yds short of the marker. That was with good solid shots. My Protos went right past the marker every time though, a good 10-15 yds more than the 53. That's quite a difference between pitching wedges. Plus I still have a higher percentage of pure shots with the Protos. I don't think that difference is all in the shaft. I still think the 59s would be good for me if I decide to get them. They have mass behind the ball, but are probably a bit more forgiving than Protos. The Protos aren't a true "blade" the way I see it though. They have more weight on the top line. I think they are more forgiving than a real blade is and there may not be a real advantage to getting the 59s, I don't know. Maybe I'll try to get a hold of a single iron with the KBS shaft to try before taking the plunge.

Here are the differences between the TT x100 and KBS Tour X...

1) KBS Tour X has a 52% balance point, KBS Tour X will come out about 2 swing weight points lighter then x100 even with both shafts weighting 130g. The C-Taper is only 1 point lighter (if x100 is D2 then CT = D1 and Tour X = D0)

2) The KBS Tour X has a medium launch angle, the TT x100 should launch lower then the KBS will.

3) the KBS Tour will likely feel softer then it really is, KBS has a smooth load feel. TT x100 is in the middle and PX 6.5 is the harsh in my opinion. This all comes down to personal preference, I like a smooth loading and unloading shaft that doesn't compromise accuracy personally.

Number 3 is the reason I use KBS in my irons and RT Technologies in the hybrid / wood / driver. Smooth shafts but accurate at the same time.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Here are the differences between the TT x100 and KBS Tour X...

1) KBS Tour X has a 52% balance point, KBS Tour X will come out about 2 swing weight points lighter then x100 even with both shafts weighting 130g. The C-Taper is only 1 point lighter (if x100 is D2 then CT = D1 and Tour X = D0)

2) The KBS Tour X has a medium launch angle, the TT x100 should launch lower then the KBS will.

3) the KBS Tour will likely feel softer then it really is, KBS has a smooth load fell TT x100 is in the middle and PX 6.5 is the harsh in my opinion. This all comes down to personal preference, I like a smooth loading and unloading shaft that doesn't compromise accuracy personally.

Number 3 is the reason I use KBS in my irons and RT Technologies in the hybrid / wood / driver. Smooth shafts but accurate at the same time.

Hey thanks! Smoother is the way to describe it. It may be I like the KBS because that's what I've gotten used to, not having been through that many sets yet. If I had started with the X100 maybe I wouldn't care for the KBS. I could probably do fine with a Stiff flex to be honest. Although, I do launch it plenty high, even with a 3 iron, so what I have right now might be the best fit anyway. I haven't gone through a fitting to know if I could do better. I really should get fit I know. The club builder I know only has a Vector Pro for fitting. It's not going to tell you much about how you load a shaft compared to what's available these days. GolfTec here has more technology to offer, but they push Titleist and Adams is about it I think. Thanks for the input.

Archived