Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Stripping Oil Can Finish Question

I've read on other sites that using Coke or CLR does the trick but my question is would the original paint in the wedge dissolve or would it stay in the stamps? Also, would the paint be easy to remove if I wanted to repaint the wedge?

I have not done it with CLR, but I tried it with Coke. and the paint was fine. Also, the tour chrome finish was fine. Coke did not work, I have since learned that you need to sand the finish first before soaking it. Also I did not have Coke. I had Diet Coke I tried. I can not stand a fat wedge.:rolleyes: But it did not work for me. It did work with the Muriatic acid but once again you have to sand it just a bit.

Even it is chrome it still oxidizes and you must first remove the build up on it for the chemicals reaction to take place. As far as the paint goes, Most of it was still intact because it was so far in there. Some of it was not there but it had not been there before.

Got to the Hobby Lobby and get model airplane and car paints. Like $1.50 a little bottle and get the micro brushes and paint it when you are done.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I've read on other sites that using Coke or CLR does the trick but my question is would the original paint in the wedge dissolve or would it stay in the stamps? Also, would the paint be easy to remove if I wanted to repaint the wedge?

For stripping the finish I would recommend Naval Jelly. Works great on most finished metal, but won't do anything to chrome or nickel plating.

To remove the paint you can try acetone, but I've found that Tal-Strip works the best/fastest.

Both can be found in most hardware stores. I've had better luck with Ace than Home Depot though.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have not done it with CLR, but I tried it with Coke. and the paint was fine. Also, the tour chrome finish was fine. Coke did not work, I have since learned that you need to sand the finish first before soaking it. Also I did not have Coke. I had Diet Coke I tried. I can not stand a fat wedge.:rolleyes: But it did not work for me. It did work with the Muriatic acid but once again you have to sand it just a bit.

Even it is chrome it still oxidizes and you must first remove the build up on it for the chemicals reaction to take place. As far as the paint goes, Most of it was still intact because it was so far in there. Some of it was not there but it had not been there before.

Got to the Hobby Lobby and get model airplane and car paints. Like $1.50 a little bottle and get the micro brushes and paint it when you are done.

I just finished with the wedge, it was a pain in the ass to do but came out good. I used some Diet Coke and it stripped most of it but had to scrub the crap out of it with a sponge to get all of the finish off. I wish I read your post earlier and sanded it first before soaking it.

I just finished with the wedge, it was a pain in the ass to do but came out good. I used some Diet Coke and it stripped most of it but had to scrub the crap out of it with a sponge to get all of the finish off. I wish I read your post earlier and sanded it first before soaking it.

The first time I stripped a club with Muriatic Acid, I dropped it right in the acid and it just sat there, nothing happened. So I pulled it out, rinsed it off and sanded it lightly. It did not even scratch the chrome. Then I put it back in the acid and it began to bubble. An hour later I pulled it out, rinsed and began to sand but this time for the bag chatter marks. The chrome was gone.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Next time use CLR or Naval Jelly. It won't harm any paint, and strips it in 5 minutes or less. I prefer CLR, personally.

As for chrome, you can etch it with muratic acid. Problem is the byproduct is hexavalent chromium. Sound familiar? That's because its what made Erin Brockavich famous. You have to have a hazmat license to dispose of the waste. Can it be DIY'd? Sure, but its easier and safer to find a local chrome shop, pay them $3-$5 to do it for you.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Next time use CLR or Naval Jelly. It won't harm any paint, and strips it in 5 minutes or less. I prefer CLR, personally.

As for chrome, you can etch it with muratic acid. Problem is the byproduct is hexavalent chromium. Sound familiar? That's because its what made Erin Brockavich famous. You have to have a hazmat license to dispose of the waste. Can it be DIY'd? Sure, but its easier and safer to find a local chrome shop, pay them $3-$5 to do it for you.

Thanks for the responses so far. Just because it keeps showing up in the comments, I wasn't going to strip the chrome wedge I have, only the oil can which has been done already. Just wanted to make it clear.

Archived