TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing Thoughts

jayhawker

I play ever so often with a neighbor, not exactly sure of his handicap, but he is somewhere near scratch.

One tip he always gave me was to have a swing thought, something that you repeat over and over at address.

The idea behind it is to get your mind off the swing so you don't overthink it and it eases some of the pressure.

Anyone else heard of these/do this? I currently do not, I have tried it though, I just never could think of something I could bear saying to myself that many times.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

Personally, I like to think of absolutely nothing at all. I keep a blank mind even though some people would say "Oh but it's always blank!". I feel that when I don't think at all, I'm a lot more calm, sort of like the feeling when you have nothing to worry about.

Think of whatever it takes to get your mind off of hitting the ball and even HOW to swing. For a full swing, I try to remind myself to "swing the club head". Then my body reacts to the club head and where it is naturally instead of trying to force things to happen. Especially on smaller shots that require touch around the green and in the sand, I picture exactly how I want the club head to move through the ball. Then I make it happen without thinking about HOW to move my body or hands. Just make the club head do what I want. The biggest thing is to have the target in mind the same as you would if you were throwing the ball.

• SPY VIP

I have no one thought, but like my sleep problems I have trouble shutting out my thoughts. When I can't fall asleep I've been told to think about nothing, but then I think about falling asleep. This then opens the door to everything and anything that comes into my mind. On the course what ever I'm thinking about just continues through my swing. I'm usually thinking about whatever the conversation is with my playing partners. But I've had em all from wonder what the cat is doing at home right now to I should really take that pair of pants in to get hemmed.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Im no where near a scratch golfer, but I find what works a lot of times for me when Im a little nervous is to, at address, just quitely hum a tune that im enjoying at the time. Obviously not the whole song, even if its like 3 seconds, It seems to just take my mind off of my swing enough for it to be a little more natural. It might sound a little crazy, but I'm an audio engineer and I find music to be very calming, so this works for me.

Ashworth Cart Bag

Callaway Warbird Carry Bag

Nike Covert Performance

TMaG Burner 2.0 3 FW

TMaG Burner 2.0 3 and 4 Hybrid w/ Purple Crown Royal Head Covers

TmaG Burner 2.0 Irons w/ Golf Pride New Decade Whiteout Red

Titleist Vokey Design Spin Milled SM4 Oil Can Wedge 52* 56* 60* w/ Golf Pride New Decade Whiteout Blue

Ping Karsten B60 w/ Iomic White

Odyssey Metal-X #7

I do this and it works, especially in pressure situations; I'm a Matrix fan, so I repeat "there is no spoon". In a tournament last year I was apparently getting a little loud, because after my tee shot a playing partner said "did you say something about a spoon?". Yep, I'm a dork.

This is frickin' hilarious to me for some reason. "Did you say something about a spoon...?" baaahahahaha

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I'm pretty near scratch at least as near or nearer than anyone here - my best swing thought is none - just be concerned with where you want the ball to end and how you want it to look as it gets there - that's the point of practice - hit lots of different shots and then pick the one that fits the shot that lies ahead of you - I shot 73 today with nothing but doing just that.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I say to myself "hit the damned ball stupid".

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

"I just want to putt." I have made putts from all over the green and even off the green, but never out of the woods or the lake. So I think about where I want to the ball to go and then think, "I just want to putt."

I know from experience, last week or week before, I started thinking about how to swing the club, and I went from a 68 on Monday to even par the next 15 holes to 6 over par the next 3. Which is when my thought process changed. To an 86 two days later, Then after a few holes I realized my error and shot back into the 70's

Once I have the putter in my hand, I change my thought to "back of the cup". This does sometimes leave me 4 or 5 feet past the hole but usually I have the line coming back and I tell myself I am the greatest putter in the world. It may not be true, ok it is not true, but you have to putt with confidence.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I do this and it works, especially in pressure situations; I'm a Matrix fan, so I repeat "there is no spoon". In a tournament last year I was apparently getting a little loud, because after my tee shot a playing partner said "did you say something about a spoon?". Yep, I'm a dork.

What do you think when you're hitting a 3 wood?

"There is only one spoon." :D

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

Depending on how I'm playing - it's usually "smooth" or "head still." When things are really going well, I think of a young Mariel Hemingway...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I just try to picture the shot I want. I'm not really repeating anything like words mentally, more just trying to hold the picture of what I want to do in my mind.

The only exception to this is teeing off with a driver when it's windy. Then I just keep thinking "When it's breezy swing easy" over and over.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I usually try and find something along my target line to think about, off the tee it is usually a tree or some other point of aim where I want the ball to end up. If I start thinking about my swing, I usually end up exaggerating whatever thought I have in my head.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I'm going to have to try something because I have way too many thoughts, some golf and a lot not. My mind just doesn't shut down.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Archived