TESTERS WANTED! ×

FIRST LOOK - PING G25 Irons

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Lots of excitement built around these new PING G25 irons this year....ok that was a little bit of a joke. But just because there isn't any hoopla about the new release doesn't mean that this iron isn't for you. Every year the G-Series iron is one of the easiest clubs to hit. I think one year we really should do a blind test....meaning we close our eyes when we swing and I bet the Ping G-Whatever would win.

ping-g25-iron-13.jpg

ping-g25-iron-17.jpg

ping-g25-iron-16.jpg

#TruthDigest

This is what Callaway used to have with the Big Bertha line. A new, slightly improved but consistent looking model every two years. I have members that started with G2 irons and have replaced them every two years like clockwork. As a retailer, I love the Ping iron life cycle.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Are they as ginormous as the 20's? You could waterski on those things ;)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Topline looks fairly slim

Probably rounded of the topline, like Nike Covert irons. Looks slim, they're just toying with us by using optical illusions :)

G25 look fine. Not like I'll put a red ring around the date on the calendar, but better than G20. Cavity is a fantastic improvement.

As I usually feel with PING irons, they have an ugly beautifulness to them.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Nice then the G20 by far. Definately sleeker, especially the sole. Really with they went for a hosel on these like the i20's. For whatever reason, I have a hard time when it's not there.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

For a G line club it looks great, not as much offset, doesn't look as big, back of the club looks simple and not busy.

On looks alone it's a winner. It fixes what everyone complains about the G line, too big, too much offset, sole too big, top line too thick. First time I've ever thought "I'd buy it and play it".

Will have to wait and see how it plays.

They will be the same as all of the G series irons a piece of cake to hit just a little more refined. If more of us 'got over ourselves' and ditched the forged whatever's lower scores would follow. I changed to G15's 3 years ago from Miz Mp58 and was ripped mercilessly by my pals that was until they were reaching for their wallets every Sunday morning, plus I got down to 4 H'cap for the first time at 51 years of age.

I'm really looking forward to trying them.

• SPY VIP

I like the look of these a whole lot more than the previous offerings. Plus, it looks like an actual change rather than a badge change like the G5 to G10 transition.

I'd probably take a look at them. Will there be a i25 iron this year? Seems like the i20's just came out.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

As I usually feel with PING irons, they have an ugly beautifulness to them.

Agreed!

They actually look nice for a Ping G series iron. Much better looking than some of the previous models.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw these at the PGA Show and liked the looks. They hit nice but not great for me. I was surprised to see how soft that black rubber pad is on the cavity as you can easily push it with your finger nail.

I like the lines but that black pad is a bit of a turn off. Did you ask what the purpose of that rubber pads was ?

Shambles

I like the lines but that black pad is a bit of a turn off. Did you ask what the purpose of that rubber pads was ?

Shambles

I did and I was told for dampening. Ping has had soft medallions before maybe starting with the G2 but this was very soft.

I did and I was told for dampening. Ping has had soft medallions before maybe starting with the G2 but this was very soft.

That sounds a rather strange reason. Many manufacturers, Ping included, have long made lubs that did not require dampening. I suppose the only way for me to find out will be to get hold of one of the clubs and test it with and without the backing.

Shambles

I'm thinkin that this would be the case with any "badged" iron, some more so than others.

Also, I'd be very careful who's iron ya unbadged if you're gonna try this experiment, HaHa ;-)

So this is another one of those strange but true worthless factoids, lol :)

Have a good one Bro

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I actually asked Roger Cleveland what the difference would be if I were to remove the badges from my new irons, he said that they would perform the same, but the sound and therefore the feel, would be a bit firmer. I am thinking about getting another 6 iron and trying it since this is the first forged club I have ever played that had anything stuck to it. I also think that I may have been told that it would alter the feel so that I would leave them on as it is the only way that the club is branded Callaway...

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Golf Nut was correct, though the face back area really took a technological "leap" with the G20s. The trademarked elastomer Custom Tuning Port(CTP) was greatly refined in the G20s, supposedly giving them a much better feel. Use of the CTP dates back to the I3 irons.

The G20's CTP is described as "floating' in the back cavity, which allows for a thinner clubface, leading to more ball speed and greater distance. The primary CTP is now partnered with two other multi-material "badges," that provided the softer feel and enhanced the overall sound of the club at impact.

If you notice on the G25s vs. the 20s, the CTP badge is positioned lower behind the face. Along with improving feel, the lower positioning on the 25s also helps to lower the center of gravity & launch higher shots. The CTP aligns directly with the impact area, allowing for a lower CG and a high MOI. Support bars in the cavity stabilize the 17-4 stainless steel face to insure a solid feel and distance control throughout the set. So, the primary reasons for the multi-material badge are for enhanced sound and feel.

An asst. at my club took the badge offa the back of a Mizzy 825 Pro(He plays the 68s) and after hitting both, while to my eyes, the ball flight really wasn't that different(though he did "overdraw(his word, HaHa)" 3 of the badgeless vs. the badged 825) the sound difference certainly was audible and he said that the feel was noticably "harsher" with the un-badged iron. As this was with one of the softest forged irons in the marketplace, I would imagine that an unbadged cast G series iron would feel even harsher.

I'm thinkin that this would be the case with any "badged" iron, some more so than others.

Also, I'd be very careful who's iron ya unbadged if you're gonna try this experiment, HaHa ;-)

So this is another one of those strange but true worthless factoids, lol :)

Have a good one Bro

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I'd conjecture that the badge is worth a couple of grams and possibly threw your swing out enough to give a more harsh feel, though I tend towards the belief that a shaft too stiff contributes more to harsh feel. As to the sound, I really have no way of speaking to that until I have experienced it myself.

I just have a dislike for these badges as they get dirty and in doing so, contribute to the aging of the club in terms of appearance. The design is very similar to the Anser which is unbadged, much as I can see from the pictures. I'm more inclined to turn away from this club because of that badge regardless that I have confidence Ping has made that club very playable.

Shambles

Still not a fan of the offset but according to a local golf shop owner, he stills sells more ping irons than anything else.

Danno

Driver - Titleist 910D3 -RIP shaft

3-Wood - Ping I20 (14 degree) - project X 6.0

Hybrid - Ping I20 (17 degree) - project X 6.0

Irons - Mizuno MP-63 (Dynamic Gold x100)

Wedges - Mizuno T-11 (50,54,60)

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Archived