Sign in to follow this  
GolfSpy_X

FIRST LOOK - PING G25 Irons

Lots of excitement built around these new PING G25 irons this year....ok that was a little bit of a joke. But just because there isn't any hoopla about the new release doesn't mean that this iron isn't for you. Every year the G-Series iron is one of the easiest clubs to hit. I think one year we really should do a blind test....meaning we close our eyes when we swing and I bet the Ping G-Whatever would win.

ping-g25-iron-13.jpg

ping-g25-iron-17.jpg

ping-g25-iron-16.jpg

This is what Callaway used to have with the Big Bertha line. A new, slightly improved but consistent looking model every two years. I have members that started with G2 irons and have replaced them every two years like clockwork. As a retailer, I love the Ping iron life cycle.

Half my posts aren't showing up today. Anyways as I said before very clean looking especially in the badge area compared to last year.

Topline looks fairly slim

Probably rounded of the topline, like Nike Covert irons. Looks slim, they're just toying with us by using optical illusions :)

G25 look fine. Not like I'll put a red ring around the date on the calendar, but better than G20. Cavity is a fantastic improvement.

As I usually feel with PING irons, they have an ugly beautifulness to them.

Nice then the G20 by far. Definately sleeker, especially the sole. Really with they went for a hosel on these like the i20's. For whatever reason, I have a hard time when it's not there.

For a G line club it looks great, not as much offset, doesn't look as big, back of the club looks simple and not busy.

On looks alone it's a winner. It fixes what everyone complains about the G line, too big, too much offset, sole too big, top line too thick. First time I've ever thought "I'd buy it and play it".

Will have to wait and see how it plays.

They will be the same as all of the G series irons a piece of cake to hit just a little more refined. If more of us 'got over ourselves' and ditched the forged whatever's lower scores would follow. I changed to G15's 3 years ago from Miz Mp58 and was ripped mercilessly by my pals that was until they were reaching for their wallets every Sunday morning, plus I got down to 4 H'cap for the first time at 51 years of age.

I'm really looking forward to trying them.

I like the look of these a whole lot more than the previous offerings. Plus, it looks like an actual change rather than a badge change like the G5 to G10 transition.

I'd probably take a look at them. Will there be a i25 iron this year? Seems like the i20's just came out.

As I usually feel with PING irons, they have an ugly beautifulness to them.

Agreed!

They actually look nice for a Ping G series iron. Much better looking than some of the previous models.

I just saw these at the PGA Show and liked the looks. They hit nice but not great for me. I was surprised to see how soft that black rubber pad is on the cavity as you can easily push it with your finger nail.

I just saw these at the PGA Show and liked the looks. They hit nice but not great for me. I was surprised to see how soft that black rubber pad is on the cavity as you can easily push it with your finger nail.

I like the lines but that black pad is a bit of a turn off. Did you ask what the purpose of that rubber pads was ?

Shambles

I like the lines but that black pad is a bit of a turn off. Did you ask what the purpose of that rubber pads was ?

Shambles

I did and I was told for dampening. Ping has had soft medallions before maybe starting with the G2 but this was very soft.