TESTERS WANTED! ×

PGA Show 2013 Coverage

• SPY VIP

Ok boys and girls (both of you), it's almost PGA Show time again. In less than 3 weeks, X, Matt, Tim, and I will be heading to Orlando for the annual PGA Merchandise show.

We're leaning very strongly towards changing up our coverage a bit. Basically, staying up until 2AM uploading boatloads of images has found its way on to my Murtaugh list...it ain't happening any more.

We first have to concede that the modern state of the equipment industry is such that there are very few surprises anymore. Basically, as far as the OEMs go; there isn't much we can show you that you haven't already seen. That's just how it is.

Rather than shoot more pics of dirty clubs or poorly lit clubs (sometimes in plastic), we figured we could try something different.

So, with that in mind... What is something different? How would you like us to cover this year's show?

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

New oddball things that I didn't know I needed are always cool. Like the Switch belts. Not that a belt is odd.....but the Switch belt is definitely different....if not odd.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• SPY VIP

First I'm disappointed at the thought of you not staying up til 2am for the sake of us, where has the passion gone?

But I agree with BK. Hammer us with cool belts, bags from companies we don't really see everyday like iliac and for the sake of a recovering RP booth babes galore!

Another thought is for you guys to just have a fun. You give so much to us all year, maybe we can just follow your zany exploits ala "The Hangover" style. Don't spend all your time at the OEM's, hit the smaller clothing brands etc and do little fashion shows. I dunno just go wild.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I agree, don't worry so much about the OEM's, although it looks like their areas are where the big fun is! I like seeing all the smaller companies the most, the stuff that we're unlikely to see or hear about elsewhere.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• SPY VIP

I agree, don't worry so much about the OEM's, although it looks like their areas are where the big fun is! I like seeing all the smaller companies the most, the stuff that we're unlikely to see or hear about elsewhere.

That seems to be a popular sentiment. It was pretty funny last year when we checked our cameras and realized that we forgot to shoot Titleist...and PING...and Callaway.

We'll definitely shoot TaylorMade because they always GO HUGE...

We'll shoot Cobra-PUMA because it's awesome fun...always

I have high hopes for Callaway this year. Nike hasn't had a large presence in the 2 years that I've been to the show, but I expect things might be different now too.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Just piling on to this.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

• SPY VIP

Looking over the exhibitor list right now. Good news...5 Hour Energy is back. That was a life-saver last year.

Other observations based on the show floor/exhibitor list:

Not seeing Bettinardi...weird.

Cleveland Golf will be at Demo Day, but not on the main exhibit floor (conference room instead). Same with Mizuno, and Wilson.

Adams will be display in the TaylorMade wing of the building

Nike's booth is much bigger.

Callaway is back with the rest of the equipment companies

Don't see a booth for the Back9Network (they had a full-on studio last year)

The Chicken Stick will not be there

No United Golf. No ACCRA or Miura either (not unusual, just personally disappointing)

No Tour Striker

Vibram Five Fingers has a booth this year

There are only 2 exhibitors whose names start with 'Q'

I'm excited to check out 'Real Steak Jerky'

Druh Belts is there (babes in too tight full body leotards)

Trackman, FlightScope, ForeSight, aboutGolf, and other LM providers there (as usual)

Pukka will be offering free hats (unofficially) and they're not far from Peter Millar (where we always end up on Thursday Night)

The only entry under X is 'X Golf America' (simulator). I think they chose the name because nobody was listed under X.

All for now.

"Looking over the exhibitor list right now. Good news...5 Hour Energy is back. That was a life-saver last year."

So you WILL be staying up until 2am uploading photos and such.

"Druh Belts is there (babes in too tight full body leotards)"

These photos, specifically.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

More or less piling on the comments of others.

The big OEM's do a really good job of getting their stuff out there, so not really concerned with them.

I love the stuff from smaller companies that we don't get to hear much about normally.

It's kind of weird this year, but I'm not all that excited for the actual clubs. I'm more interested in shafts, accessories, shoes and any techy types of things. I'd love to see if anyone has made advances in the home simulator market (that don't cost the price of a nice car) or other launch monitor type things.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Assuming that the Golf Channel is there, any pics of Holly Sonders is a crowd pleaser. biggrin.gif

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Custom head covers and fancy grips too please.

Is that in reference to the OT or my post on Holly??? cool.gif

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Agree with all the other comments. We don't need more pictures of Covert and other ballzier clubs. Give us the stuff we haven't seen. Find the hidden gems :)

I'd be interested in swing gadgets like Swingbyte and Golfsense. Are there any new brands? New ideas/solutions?

Grips. Something I think we rarely see before they're on the companies website.

Trends in shoes. More barefoot?

I hope there are some new clubs we haven't seen. Find it hard to believe that the Covert iron is Nikes only new set i 2013. Have a feeling they've saved something for the show.

Ok boys and girls (both of you), it's almost PGA Show time again. In less than 3 weeks, X, Matt, Tim, and I will be heading to Orlando for the annual PGA Merchandise show.

We're leaning very strongly towards changing up our coverage a bit. Basically, staying up until 2AM uploading boatloads of images has found its way on to my Murtaugh list...it ain't happening any more.

We first have to concede that the modern state of the equipment industry is such that there are very few surprises anymore. Basically, as far as the OEMs go; there isn't much we can show you that you haven't already seen. That's just how it is.

Rather than shoot more pics of dirty clubs or poorly lit clubs (sometimes in plastic), we figured we could try something different.

So, with that in mind... What is something different? How would you like us to cover this year's show?

With me there as a guest analyst representing the forum. B)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Agree with the rest on the off-the-wall stuff: component companies, shafts and other accessories...always looking to find that hidden gem

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Women..short golf skirts..myriad pictures.. B)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Nevermind -- what he said B)

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived