Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Callaway Speaks: Callaway FT-iZ Driver

mysurbuy

Callaway Golf says that in its never-ending mission to develope golf clubs providing more distance and accuracy for golfers, its engineers used an entirely new design to produce the FT-iZ driver which it revealed at the PGA Merchandise Show last week.

“In engineering the FT-iZ Driver, Fairway Woods and Hybrids, we used new knowledge in aerodynamics, face design and weight placement to deliver breakthroughs in ball speed and accuracy,” said Dr. Alan Hocknell, Senior Vice President of Research & Development, Callaway Golf. “The FT-iZ Driver represents the latest in our use of carbon fiber, aerospace-grade materials and head shaping to optimize performance.”

No price has been set for this catagory of golf clubs but standard versions will be fitted with Aldila Voodoo shafts and loft options will be 9, 10, 11 and 13 degrees .

With so much going on inside the clubhead Callaway have not forgotten about appearances either and they have taken their inspiration for the more triangular clubhead from the aerodynamic design of race cars.

The FT-iZ Driver marks the launch of a groundbreaking and proprietary design feature called Polar Weightingâ„¢, which optimizes stability at impact and yields incredible ball speeds. Polar Weighing strategically localizes weight at the front and back of the multi-material clubhead, creating a heavy face and significant in-line power source for unprecedented performance.

The driver of choice for PGA Tour Professional Ernie Els, the FT-iZ also features an aerodynamic body design that reduces drag in the downswing for higher impact speeds. The result of this progressive golf clubs shape is Callaway's most efficient high inertia clubhead design ever. The FT-iZ Driver also features a new chem-milled hyperbolic face that delivers consistently high ball speeds. The chemical reduction process selectively removes unwanted materials from the titanium cup face for unprecedented precision thickness control. FT-iZ Tour models come in half lofts with a slightly more open face at address for a look preferred by skilled players.

ERNIE.jpg

The Callaway FT-iZ offers the consistency that can only come from having such high levels of stability, feel and performance in your golf bag.

You might want to re-think the post title. This reads more like a Callaway press release than a review, but good info none the less.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

You might want to re-think the post title. This reads more like a Callaway press release than a review, but good info none the less.

Ditto. I am headed to GG this afternoon and I may give this a crack. I'll put my thoughts up here if I do.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Ditto. I am headed to GG this afternoon and I may give this a crack. I'll put my thoughts up here if I do.

That would be great. Yeah, Golf Galaxy has a HUGE demo day today. I'm not sure if I will being to make it over there but enjoy. What else are you looking at?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Um, yeah. That and Ernie Els plays the FT Tour and has won twice with the FT Tour... NOT the FT-iz.

AND, the price is already out and they've been out for quite a while.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

I have hit this driver extensively on our outdoor range as well as the FlightScope Kudu we have at the shop. I can tell you I was very impressed. It does look rather hideous, but it was very straight and consistent. Also, the ball speeds seemed to be great across the entire face. IMO, it was straighter and more forgiving than the FT-9, but the FT-9 looks better and feels more solid to me. I should say I hit the 9.5* Tour model with the stock stiff VooDoo 60. Callaway lists them at 45" but they seem to be a little shorter (at least the ones I have hit) which I like.

Again, nothing but good things being said about their drivers, 2 years in a row, do I sense a trend?

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Shape...schmape....I don't care about that -- all I care about is performance.

How refreshing to hear. Most days, I listen to the 23 handicap tell me that he can't look at a particular shape, even though he is hitting it better than any club he ever has.... ;)

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I could care less, get my ball out there, semi straight, with a good to great distant, and I am buying it!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

How refreshing to hear. Most days, I listen to the 23 handicap tell me that he can't look at a particular shape, even though he is hitting it better than any club he ever has.... :)

Exactly the reason I really liked how old man Solheim ran Ping (and to some extent why I like Callaway) -- firstly, make something that performs better.

Archived