Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Regrets?

Lambo

Not sure if we have talked about this or not.

I'm having sellers/buyers remorse today.

I got rid of a set of Callaway X Forged, and picked up a set of TM Rocketbladz. I played yesterday, and couldn't hit the broad side of the barn, with my irons. Sitting here thinking why o why did I do that.

I'm actually thinking about my next set of irons, yes I am a 'ho.

Any ideas to help ease the pain, besides drinking? :P

Anybody else gone thru this?

I would have gone through that except I didn't get rid of my clubs that "work" first. I bought a set I wanted to try, decided I didn't like them and sold them. My clubs do so well for me, why am I always looking for something else? I just like clubs I guess.

Yup, I'm always in the mindset of try before you sell instead of try before you buy. Don't get rid of the old stuff until you know you want keep the new stuff. Plus that's how you build back up bags :)

That being said, did the bladez have the same shafts as your cally's? Could be an issue of an improper fit instead of something wrong with that set of irons and your game.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

There's a reason I bought another set of Nike Splits lol

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Now you tell me how this works! (j/k)

That wouldn't work so well buying a brand new set though. I found a set of MP-53s at Golf Mart that had very little play on them. They had dings from someone carelessly dropping them into the bag and regular bag chatter, but almost no wear on the face. The original grips were still like new. They were dirty. Nobody bothered to even clean them. They were $179 so I figured couldn't go wrong whether I liked them or not. They cleaned up really nice. Looked better than I expected. I didn't like them though, mostly because of the shafts, and sold them on Ebay for $325! Just one of those things you stumble onto every once in a while. I bet they meant to price them at $279 and someone made a mistake. When I checked out, the guys behind the counter both complained that they didn't realize they were back there and would have bought them for themselves for that price if they had seen them. Oh well! :P

Not sure if we have talked about this or not.

I'm having sellers/buyers remorse today.

I got rid of a set of Callaway X Forged, and picked up a set of TM Rocketbladz. I played yesterday, and couldn't hit the broad side of the barn, with my irons. Sitting here thinking why o why did I do that.

I'm actually thinking about my next set of irons, yes I am a 'ho.

Any ideas to help ease the pain, besides drinking? :P

Anybody else gone thru this?

You're kidding right. Think of the room you're asking this question in. The proper question is; How many times has this happened to you? B)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Regrets? I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention... B)

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I never give up the set I'm playing unti I've found 2 sets I like better :-))

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Sold my mp68 because I'm a ho I regret that the most. But I love my Nikes so the sting is fading

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Never get rid of gamers before the replacements have been thoroughly test driven and have been cleared as full timers, ESPECIALLY irons!!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I actually wasted half a session with a therapist talkin about my irons. And the son of a b*tch doesn't even golf.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I would pay for a transcript or recording of that session, double if it included the therapist's phone call to his colleague after you left! "Dude, you won't believe this guy that was just here. . ." :P

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• 1 month later...

I never get rid of a set. That is probably why I have 7 full sets of irons all blades. 5 sets are Mac Gregor 1 set Wilson FG-17 Tour Blades and 1 set Power Bilt Citations. The only set of blades I got rid of that I regretted was a set of MP-33 s I hit them as good as anything else I had but sold them for a substantial profit. My wife of nearly 25 years dont say anything about it. She calls my club room Golf club Hell. She says it could be worse I could be filling up 2 trash cans with empty beer cans or whiskey bottles and chasing lewd women

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 weeks later...

This seems like a good place to ask this. I'm thinking of getting new irons this year. I'm currently playing Mizuno MX25's. I'm thinking about the MP59's. I'm not sure if my present skill level is appropriate for these irons. I normally shoot 86-82. Once in a while I can get in the high 70's. Is this an iron I can grow with, or is it not for me, yet?

Trying to avoid a regret. :)

I have been a fan of KBS Tour shafts for the past year. I have also been a fan of the Mizuno MP33's'. I had some MP32's on KBS Tour Black Nickel. I loved this but really wanted the MP33's. I sold the MP32 heads and bought some MP33's. I of course could not wait to hit them so I went and played them with the X100's shafts that was in them. OMG I loved these things and played them for some 3 weeks before the weather and schedule worked out to strip the chrome off and refinish them in gun blue and mount them on the KBS shafts.

Today was the first day that I could play with the new combination. I went out on the course and was going to play a few holes while I waited. I could not hit the ball. Thin shot after thin shot, so I went to the range. Same thing. I was very disappointed. I loved the feel of the shaft but I could not hit the ball. After about 15 blades it occurred to me that I was wanting to feel the shafts kick and was overswinging and thus getting out of tempo and not making good contact. Once I realized my error and calmed down. I started hitting them pure.

I hit the ball well today after that and do not have any regrets now but I remembered heading to the range thinking about the regrets I was having about changing the shafts. I am very happy with this change now.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

This seems like a good place to ask this. I'm thinking of getting new irons this year. I'm currently playing Mizuno MX25's. I'm thinking about the MP59's. I'm not sure if my present skill level is appropriate for these irons. I normally shoot 86-82. Once in a while I can get in the high 70's. Is this an iron I can grow with, or is it not for me, yet?

I'm in that same neighborhood S&B - got fit for MP-59's last year and love 'em. You know when you hit 'em good and you know when you don't. On those magical days when everything's working - they're a joy to play with!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have been a fan of KBS Tour shafts for the past year. I have also been a fan of the Mizuno MP33's'. I had some MP32's on KBS Tour Black Nickel. I loved this but really wanted the MP33's. I sold the MP32 heads and bought some MP33's. I of course could not wait to hit them so I went and played them with the X100's shafts that was in them. OMG I loved these things and played them for some 3 weeks before the weather and schedule worked out to strip the chrome off and refinish them in gun blue and mount them on the KBS shafts.

Today was the first day that I could play with the new combination. I went out on the course and was going to play a few holes while I waited. I could not hit the ball. Thin shot after thin shot, so I went to the range. Same thing. I was very disappointed. I loved the feel of the shaft but I could not hit the ball. After about 15 blades it occurred to me that I was wanting to feel the shafts kick and was overswinging and thus getting out of tempo and not making good contact. Once I realized my error and calmed down. I started hitting them pure.

I hit the ball well today after that and do not have any regrets now but I remembered heading to the range thinking about the regrets I was having about changing the shafts. I am very happy with this change now.

So that's sort of a regret over the regrets? cool.gif

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

If you can strike your irons well, then I think they would be a good match but getting fit for them is very important. I got fit for a set of JPX 825 Pros (highly recommend) and they gave me really good numbers, wanted to give the 59's a go but the fitter said they would lower my launch angle a bit much and plus, I wanted more forgiving irons in the first place and the 59's wouldn't be much different than my prior set, Titleist 710 CB's. Either way, go with what you think you'll play well with.

The 825 Pros received solid reviews, as did last years' 800's. Fozcycle here games the MP-53,s' which Mizuno says are a bit more forgiving...a good fitter should get you pointed in the right direction. Good luck!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Ok, I just got back from demoing some irons.

I tried the 825's (really nice feeling iron), the 59's and the 64's. The 59 is a pretty club! I was really hoping to hit it well, but my launch angle was just a little to low for my liking (12-15 deg. with a #6) I hit the 825's and the 64's about equally well.

I hit them both with a R and S Dynamic Gold and KBS Tour. KBS Stiff is the shaft for me in either club.

I was able to get an average of 182-185 yards with roll out.I managed to get two out to 190. Carry averaged around 174 yards. I was able to very launch angles between 14-20 deg. with the 64's. with my regular set up and swing, launch with the #6 was 16-18 deg.

I'm leaning toward the 64's... I love the feel. I might just go back and pull the trigger on them. Now to figure out how to get this little purchase approved by the wife. :D

The old Jesuit principle may apply - 'tis better to ask forgiveness that it is to ask permission.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Ok, I just got back from demoing some irons.

I tried the 825's (really nice feeling iron), the 59's and the 64's. The 59 is a pretty club! I was really hoping to hit it well, but my launch angle was just a little to low for my liking (12-15 deg. with a #6) I hit the 825's and the 64's about equally well.

I hit them both with a R and S Dynamic Gold and KBS Tour. KBS Stiff is the shaft for me in either club.

I was able to get an average of 182-185 yards with roll out.I managed to get two out to 190. Carry averaged around 174 yards. I was able to very launch angles between 14-20 deg. with the 64's. with my regular set up and swing, launch with the #6 was 16-18 deg.

I'm leaning toward the 64's... I love the feel. I might just go back and pull the trigger on them. Now to figure out how to get this little purchase approved by the wife. :D

The MP-64's are a sweet looking club and I wanted them to work for me but were a little too harsh for what I was going for. I could play with them but I think I'm getting better results with my 825 Pros.

Buying without spousal approval may be worse than buying the wrong ones. Talk about regrets. On the other hand, several years ago, I rejoined the country club because my stepson had just made the high school golf team. My wife ended up suing for divorce. I have been a happy country club member since with no regrets.:lol:

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Buying without spousal approval may be worse than buying the wrong ones. Talk about regrets. On the other hand, several years ago, I rejoined the country club because my stepson had just made the high school golf team. My wife ended up suing for divorce. I have been a happy country club member since with no regrets.:lol:

Sounds like you got the gold mine and she got the shaft.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived