Our Sponsors

I have been a fan of KBS Tour shafts for the past year. I have also been a fan of the Mizuno MP33's'. I had some MP32's on KBS Tour Black Nickel. I loved this but really wanted the MP33's. I sold the MP32 heads and bought some MP33's. I of course could not wait to hit them so I went and played them with the X100's shafts that was in them. OMG I loved these things and played them for some 3 weeks before the weather and schedule worked out to strip the chrome off and refinish them in gun blue and mount them on the KBS shafts.

Today was the first day that I could play with the new combination. I went out on the course and was going to play a few holes while I waited. I could not hit the ball. Thin shot after thin shot, so I went to the range. Same thing. I was very disappointed. I loved the feel of the shaft but I could not hit the ball. After about 15 blades it occurred to me that I was wanting to feel the shafts kick and was overswinging and thus getting out of tempo and not making good contact. Once I realized my error and calmed down. I started hitting them pure.

I hit the ball well today after that and do not have any regrets now but I remembered heading to the range thinking about the regrets I was having about changing the shafts. I am very happy with this change now.

So that's sort of a regret over the regrets? cool.gif

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This seems like a good place to ask this. I'm thinking of getting new irons this year. I'm currently playing Mizuno MX25's. I'm thinking about the MP59's. I'm not sure if my present skill level is appropriate for these irons. I normally shoot 86-82. Once in a while I can get in the high 70's. Is this an iron I can grow with, or is it not for me, yet?

Trying to avoid a regret. :)

If you can strike your irons well, then I think they would be a good match but getting fit for them is very important. I got fit for a set of JPX 825 Pros (highly recommend) and they gave me really good numbers, wanted to give the 59's a go but the fitter said they would lower my launch angle a bit much and plus, I wanted more forgiving irons in the first place and the 59's wouldn't be much different than my prior set, Titleist 710 CB's. Either way, go with what you think you'll play well with.

The 825 Pros received solid reviews, as did last years' 800's. Fozcycle here games the MP-53,s' which Mizuno says are a bit more forgiving...a good fitter should get you pointed in the right direction. Good luck!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Ok, I just got back from demoing some irons.

I tried the 825's (really nice feeling iron), the 59's and the 64's. The 59 is a pretty club! I was really hoping to hit it well, but my launch angle was just a little to low for my liking (12-15 deg. with a #6) I hit the 825's and the 64's about equally well.

I hit them both with a R and S Dynamic Gold and KBS Tour. KBS Stiff is the shaft for me in either club.

I was able to get an average of 182-185 yards with roll out.I managed to get two out to 190. Carry averaged around 174 yards. I was able to very launch angles between 14-20 deg. with the 64's. with my regular set up and swing, launch with the #6 was 16-18 deg.

I'm leaning toward the 64's... I love the feel. I might just go back and pull the trigger on them. Now to figure out how to get this little purchase approved by the wife. :D

The old Jesuit principle may apply - 'tis better to ask forgiveness that it is to ask permission.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Ok, I just got back from demoing some irons.

I tried the 825's (really nice feeling iron), the 59's and the 64's. The 59 is a pretty club! I was really hoping to hit it well, but my launch angle was just a little to low for my liking (12-15 deg. with a #6) I hit the 825's and the 64's about equally well.

I hit them both with a R and S Dynamic Gold and KBS Tour. KBS Stiff is the shaft for me in either club.

I was able to get an average of 182-185 yards with roll out.I managed to get two out to 190. Carry averaged around 174 yards. I was able to very launch angles between 14-20 deg. with the 64's. with my regular set up and swing, launch with the #6 was 16-18 deg.

I'm leaning toward the 64's... I love the feel. I might just go back and pull the trigger on them. Now to figure out how to get this little purchase approved by the wife. :D

The MP-64's are a sweet looking club and I wanted them to work for me but were a little too harsh for what I was going for. I could play with them but I think I'm getting better results with my 825 Pros.

Buying without spousal approval may be worse than buying the wrong ones. Talk about regrets. On the other hand, several years ago, I rejoined the country club because my stepson had just made the high school golf team. My wife ended up suing for divorce. I have been a happy country club member since with no regrets.:lol:

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

Buying without spousal approval may be worse than buying the wrong ones. Talk about regrets. On the other hand, several years ago, I rejoined the country club because my stepson had just made the high school golf team. My wife ended up suing for divorce. I have been a happy country club member since with no regrets.:lol:

Sounds like you got the gold mine and she got the shaft.

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

Well, I did it. I ordered the MP-64's I went with the KBS Tour stiff shaft.

I'm a boring customer for the fitter... I'm standard length and lie :) .

I'll be the proud owner of the nicest irons I've ever had, in a couple of weeks. I sure hope my enthusiasm for the feel of these irons translates to the course.