Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Shaft question

Dean23

Ok guys,

I'm looking at buying a 3 hybrid from Adam's and I went and hit a bunch at my local golf store, and I really really like the Idea Tech V3. I hit it in a regular flex, and I always hit my clubs with a stiff flex but they didn't have one available.

My question is mainly this, I want this club and know that I want it in a stiff flex, but I've heard some talk about the stock Mitsubishi Bassara shafts leaving a little bit to be desired. Should I just buy the club as is and then purchase a stiff shaft from a better company?

Honestly I don't know much about shafts and could use some help, either way, I know I need a stiff flex but would love to hear some thoughts on what shaft I should get instead. Thanks!!

I guess just from a practical standpoint, the only reason to buy a club with the a shaft you know you are going to replace would be if it were priced with that in mind. If the cost is going to be the same for an Adams with the a Stiff shaft or Regular shaft, and you know you need stiff, you might as well buy one with a Stiff shaft because you might like it, vs. a Regular shaft that you know you're going to replace. I'd scour ebay for the head you want with a shaft you like, if I couldn't find the perfect fit, I'd buy the head with a shaft with very similar specs to what I like. Or there is the perfect solution of getting fit for the head and shaft and buying that!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I dont' know the particularities of each Adams shaft but the biggest question isn't what you've always played its what are you fit for? What if what you've always played isn't the best choice for you?

I'd be wondering about that before spending $100 on a club and then another $100 on a shaft plus labor plus the grip only to find out it really wasn't much different from the original because neither fits you right.

This is the voice of experience talking by the way - I've been there and done that - would love to see others learn from my mistakes.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

No I totally understand where you're all coming from. I have hit the club with a stiff shaft and it felt great, now, I was indoors and into a screen, but I guess the question I had was have you heard anything about the Mitsubishi Rayaan Bassara shafts that come stock on the Adams Idea tech V3? I've heard that it's not weighted properly.

Just didn't know if there was a better stiff shaft company out there that I should be looking at. If the Bassara is a good shaft and it would be just fine in the stiff flex I hit it in then great, was just curious if anyone has heard anything about them or not. Thanks guys...

In my experience, I found the Brassara to spin quite a bit. Also, it is a lightweight shaft in a stiff flex at 69 grams, which also caused a light stock swing weight.

If you are a strong swinger, and hit the hybrids down and thru playing them more like an iron, this set-up is mismatched in my opinion. Plus, I don't think you'll like the 69g shaft in a HB anyway. If you are a weaker swinger, or need to add spin, this shaft was obviously designed to fit someone.

Unless the shaft fits you well, I would pass and order a current model head with the correct shaft to begin with. In most cases, this will still be a cheaper route unless you can do the work yourself.

Posted Image

Archived