Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Shaft Spine Direction

I am fairly new to golf and I have heard a lot about shaft spine for driver shafts. I have heard some people say it doe snot matter and I have heard others swear by it. I am curious if anyone can help educate me on the pros and cons of locating the spine in the top, bottom, front, and back positions? What is the main changes when you rotate the spine away from the top center position? What is the best position to make the shaft feel the stiffest?

Thanks,

Chris

Spining a shaft is more about consistency than anything else. You spine *all* of your clubs the same way and they'll feel the same way. Most people align the spine facing the path of the swing. I guess you could put the spine 45* from the path to get it stiffer.

IMO, if you want stiffer, just tip trim more if it's a parallel tip or hard step if it's a taper tip.

Modern shafts are in my opinion so good that spine is a thing of the past. Graphite technology is amazing.

I've talked to Robin Arthur about this. I don't think it's something that should be outright ignored, but for the most part it's taken care of for you in terms of graphite shafts. With graphite shafts, the natural bend point (NBP) is usually marked these days and the graphics are *usually* set 45* from the NBP so the NBP faces the path of the swing.

With steel shafts though, the spine is usually very noticeable. If you are removing the shafts and re-installing, then you might as well spine them. If you weren't planning to remove the shaft, then it's probably not worth the effort.

I am fairly new to golf and I have heard a lot about shaft spine for driver shafts. I have heard some people say it doe snot matter and I have heard others swear by it.

I am curious if anyone can help educate me on the pros and cons of locating the spine in the top, bottom, front, and back positions?

NBP = Natural Bending Point

~ Spine normally has the NBP axis on the 3 or 9 o'clock position in the hosel (pointing towards the fairway is most common).

~ SST Pure puts the NBP at 12 o'clock position, which would increase droop but still be consistent, maybe feel a little softer during the swing as well.

~ FLO is for graphite most time, you get the shaft to bounce back and forth in a clamp on a flat line, it's more complex then that but you get the idea.

To locate it you need a spine tool, or have the shafts sent to someone for FLO / SST Pure... you can suse a spine tool to get a basic idea of FLO / SST Pure but the process of both is more a fine tuning.

What is the main changes when you rotate the spine away from the top center position? What is the best position to make the shaft feel the stiffest?

I'm assuming "top center" means 12 o'clock position to the hosel. When you rotate that to the 3/9 o'clock positions (parallel with the target line) you get a stiffer feeling shaft in the load and more kick after imapct from the shaft basically.

All methods are good you just ave to end up with a personal preferences to feel and such. I like a Spine on steel (spine pointing towards the target at 6 0'clock as a RH golfer), and my graphite FLO'd in the Driver, Fairway, Hybrid shafts.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I have a Talamonti Driver shaft that is spine aligned and marked and a TMag R11 driver. When set to the standard position it is correct but if I adjust the loft, than it is no longer aligned. I have played this in the standard position 99.999% of the time so it is a moot point, The few times I did "adjust" the driver, I will not say that I played it enough to feel the difference. Not only that since it was changing more things than just shaft alignment I could not tell you for certain it felt different because it was a higher lofted driver, or if it was because there was a different shaft alignment, or if it felt difference simply because I expected it to feel differently.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Thanks for all of the information everyone. It sounds like this is another typical golf process of trial and error until I find the best fit for my swing. That is what I kind of expected. I will post my findings as soon as it warms up around here so I can get back to the range. Thanks again.

NBP = Natural Bending Point

~ Spine normally has the NBP axis on the 3 or 6 o'clock position in the hosel (pointing towards the fairway is most common).

I'm assuming "top center" means 12 o'clock position to the hosel. When you rotate that to the 3/6 o'clock positions (parallel with the target line) you get a stiffer feeling shaft in the load and more kick after imapct from the shaft basically.

All methods are good you just ave to end up with a personal preferences to feel and such. I like a Spine on steel (spine pointing towards the target at 6 0'clock as a RH golfer), and my graphite FLO'd in the Driver, Fairway, Hybrid shafts.

JM Did you mean 3 and 9 o'clock instead of 6?

JM Did you mean 3 and 9 o'clock instead of 6?

yea good catch my bad i'll edit my op

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

• 2 weeks later...

The spine should go at 6:00 and the NBP (90 degrees out from the spine) should go at 3:00. Least that's what the person that helped develop the SST pure system (and one of the foremost experts on shaft analysis, as hes developed 2 other systems as well)told me should happen most often. Occasionally, there will be those that have different needs, but those are the most natural orientations. You want the spine (hard side of the shaft) at 6:00 to minimize shaft droop and the NBP along the swing's axis.

This thread gets much more in detail: http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/6168-shaft-orientation-sst-pure-peaked-moi-optomized-flo-etc/

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The spine should go at 6:00 and the NBP (90 degrees out from the spine) should go at 3:00. Least that's what the person that helped develop the SST pure system (and one of the foremost experts on shaft analysis, as hes developed 2 other systems as well)told me should happen most often. Occasionally, there will be those that have different needs, but those are the most natural orientations. You want the spine (hard side of the shaft) at 6:00 to minimize shaft droop and the NBP along the swing's axis.

This thread gets much more in detail: http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/6168-shaft-orientation-sst-pure-peaked-moi-optomized-flo-etc/

Oh the NBP in SST is at 6 not 12 hmm fair enough, I knew it sat on that axis compared to other methods, thanks for the clarification.

Oh the NBP in SST is at 6 not 12 hmm fair enough, I knew it sat on that axis compared to other methods, thanks for the clarification.

I think you mean the spine (least flexible) is at 6:00.

The NBP (most flexible) is at 9:00.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I might be over thinking this but wouldn't putting the spine at 9 o'clock make it the least flexible? My thought is that my spine bend easily side to side (12 o'clock or 6 o'clock), but if I try to bend back into my spine (9 or 3 o'clock position) I am not as flexible. If you are swinging into the spine of the shaft shouldn't that create less flex? I really do not know, so I could be thinking all wrong.

I might be over thinking this but wouldn't putting the spine at 9 o'clock make it the least flexible? My thought is that my spine bend easily side to side (12 o'clock or 6 o'clock), but if I try to bend back into my spine (9 or 3 o'clock position) I am not as flexible. If you are swinging into the spine of the shaft shouldn't that create less flex? I really do not know, so I could be thinking all wrong.

I think you are confusing "spine" with "NBP". The spine is the least flexible, the NBP (neutral bend point) is the most flexible. Most "spine finders" actually locate the NBP, not the spine as the name would imply. Golf is a game of opposites.....remember :)

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I think you are confusing "spine" with "NBP". The spine is the least flexible, the NBP (neutral bend point) is the most flexible. Most "spine finders" actually locate the NBP, not the spine as the name would imply. Golf is a game of opposites.....remember :)

I have so muc h to learn. The oppisite thing still gets me. Low score wins...WHAT?

Thanks

No I am not the NBP axis is 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock that is an axis. I'm not confusing SPINE for NBP. I thought the NBP1 went at 12 o'clock not 180* at 6 o'clock in SST, that was my comment that I was wrong where NBP1 went in that method but had the axis correct.

If this were a graph:

Y-Axis 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock

X-Axis 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock

No I am not the NBP axis is 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock that is an axis. I'm not confusing SPINE for NBP. I thought the NBP1 went at 12 o'clock not 180* at 6 o'clock in SST, that was my comment that I was wrong where NBP1 went in that method but had the axis correct.

If this were a graph:

Y-Axis 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock

X-Axis 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock

So you're saying SST puts the NBP (weakest axis on the shaft) at 12/6 ?

I do it like Rookie said with the spine (strongest axis on the shaft) at 6 and the NBP at 3/9. During the swing I want the shaft to flex along the axis it wants to bend along and return square without any wobbling.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have recently been toying with "SPINE" locations and have been having GREAT success and feedback with placing the spine of the shaft facing the ground while at address. The first set I tried this on was a set of older mizzy's that I reshafted with OBAN i083 graphite shafts which actually have 2 spines on the shaft opposing one another. One happens to be stronger than the other but they def. have 2. I proceeded with this build with the STRONGER of the spines nearest the ground. Going this route the freqs were 100% spot on and the feel of the club at impact was incredible. I have sense built 5 sets in this fashion and had the customers hit their go to club on the monitor to see the performance and the feedback has been FANTASTIC.

LT

I proceeded with this build with the STRONGER of the spines nearest the ground.

Yep, you're installing them with the spine at 6:00, which is exactly how I do it too.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Archived