Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Going sub 90

sparnar

This thread has been slow over the last few months. In fact, it wasn't even slow, there was nothing much happening.

I am playing 18 tomorrow afternoon. Haven't had much practice over the last few weeks, only a couple of buckets. Haven't had decent short game practice in quite some time, so I will have to hit a few chips before teeing off.

In the past I haven't too often play more than one round per month, which doesn't really lend itself to making progress score-wise. I have in the mean time gotten things in place to play at least two 18 hole rounds a month. And I plan on getting in some 9 hole practice rounds as well, but this might be pushing it with the wife.

Will report back on tomorrow's round.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played 18 holes yesterday at my local course. This is actually my best score at this course. My best round at this moment is 97, which I have shot at two other courses.

The difference this time round is that I felt I played pretty poorly, especially around the greens, to shoot 98. Whereas the two rounds of 97, I felt I was playing quite well to make that score.

After yesterday's round, I am even more confident than before that my sub 90 round isn't too far off.

The long game was working reasonably well, the 4i off the tee was doing its job. I even had some pretty poor strikes, but still got a very, very reasonable result from the shot. If I had been hitting those same shots with my MP53 4i, I would have been 90yards from the tee, instead of 160ish.

I hit 6 FIR, and 2 GIR. Not the greatest of stats. I really want to be closer to 10 FIR's, especially with the 4i off the tee. And GIR's I feel like I should get it on most par 5s, a couple of par 3s and maybe some of the shorter par 4s as well, so I would like this to be between 5-7 GIR per round.

Most disappointing though was the short game. I took 38 putts, which is unacceptable. I don't want to be hitting anything more than 33 putts at the very most, and ideally want to be closer to 30 putts per round. This was mostly due to some very long first putts which didn't quite end up in tap-in range, as well as some chip shots that wasn't quite as sharp as I would expect it to be.

This was my first round in about 4 weeks, and I haven't practiced any short game, and the rust showed.

My ball striking is now at a point where I am fairly comfortable that I can repeat my swing, and I think now the focus really has to become short game, short game, short game.

I will mention that I really enjoyed my round yesterday, even though the short game was disappointing. Got some confidence out of the sand, and played some really nice recovery shots.

I was playing with a student, who plays in the high 70s regularly, and he actually gave me some really good advice on recovery shots. (One other note, I am becoming very good at selectively listening to unsolicited advice on the course that might have completely disrupted my game before).

Out of this one round, I got 3 new shots. I can now play a nice draw around trees if I need to, and I can also now play a low punch that draws just a little bit, and will roll nicely right to left when it hits the ground. And I can also play a low punch shot that will fade ever so slightly, and that will roll left to right once it hits the ground.

I actually feel very confident about my game after yesterday. I know I have a good short game, just need to maintain it. Yesterday prove that I can actually pull off a bit of shotmaking, which helps plenty.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

My plan over the next few weeks will be to practice plenty of short game, found some good drills\practice plans.

And as for full swing practice, I'll try to play rather than go to the range. The more I play, the more comfortable I get on the course.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Keep up the good work! Time spent playing will really point out where you need to focus for your practice time. For most of us, I'm sure it's the short game B)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Keep up the good work! Time spent playing will really point out where you need to focus for your practice time. For most of us, I'm sure it's the short game B)

Thanks, wbealsd!

I think my ballstriking is kind of consistent enough for now. The short game has deteriorated a little bit, and it will definitely be a big focus over the next few weeks.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

That makes two of us sparnar! <_>

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 5 months later...

I still don't get enough time to play, but my long game is coming along nicely, and my shorter irons are much more consistent.

I am now playing better than ever from tee to green. Around the green is where the big work lies ahead. But it is very tough to sharpen the short game with everything that is going on right now.

I did get a new putter about two weeks ago. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get to a putting green yet. Crying shame.

Anyway, hope to get a couple of rounds under the belt over the next two months, as the holiday season is approaching.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Good luck!  If I'm not mistaken your golf season is really just heating up.

Mine is cooling down but it's really a great time of the year to play - after Christmas I'll have some time again.  'till then I'll live off of your exploits.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived