TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Best Courses In America

Ice

We all know what Golf Digest says, and what's the most popular on tour, etc... But all that stuff aside, what is your top three courses in America?

My top two lie a few hundred yards from each other on the Monterey Peninsula. Cypress Point and Spyglass Hill are the most beautiful, intricate, and diverse golf courses I have ever seen. Alister Mackenzie was correct when he sad nobody would ever design a course better than Cypress. Third is a tough one. I think my nod goes to Erin Hills in Wisconsin. It's too new to be on any Best lists or get too famous, but anyone I talk to who has played there says there is no links style course not in the ocean better. You're not stuck in the woods which takes away from a course for me. Pine Valley was recently named the best in America,but simply the fact that you see nothing but trees takes away from it for me.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I'll answer this question based on courses that I have played. Bethpage black is one of my favorites because I grew up near it and it does not have the congested feel of teh Long Island area. Pinehurst #2 because of the fact that you can hit the ball anywhere and still have a shot at the green. Now once you get to the green its a different story and thats what makes the course a short game dream or nightmare. My third would be the river course at kingsmill resort in VA. It is just a beautiful course that is fun to play. And kingsmill let my wife ride in the cart with me for free so I will always be a fan of theirs.

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

Based on courses I have played, my top three is:

Merion

Pebble Beach

Pine Valley

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Based on courses I have played, my top three is:

Merion

Pebble Beach

Pine Valley

How the heck did you get on Pine Valley??

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

I was an assistant pro at a high end course right near Pine Valley and got to know a few folks that are members there. I've been lucky enough to play it a few times over the years.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

If its courses I've played its Blackwolf run championship course, Pebble Beach and Bethpage Black -

If it's based on what I've played or seen live it's Oakland Hills, Shinecock, Blackwolf Run Championship

If its based on any courses that I've at least seen on TV or live it's

Augusta, Oakland Hills, Shinecock

Pebble is spectacular in terms of its beauty - I'm not so sure I thought it was as great a course as lots of others think but that's the problem with playing a place once - maybe it was a bad day for the course, maybe it was a bad day for me maybe its far more intricate than I could grasp. Bethpage is behind Pebble for me only because I played it before all the updates - it was most certainly the most difficult course I've ever been on and I've played Whistling Straits from the tips before they redid the sod to make it playable for its first PGA. A part of its (Bethpage's) difficulty was its lack of conditioning though.

Oh and I'm assuming US courses here - I'd go Augusta, Old Course, Oakland Hills if we can pick any course in the world that we've seen.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My top 3 that I have played

Kananaskis country GC Mount Kidd course.

Silvertip Canmore AB

( I know that there not in the USA but North America close enough LOL)

And Rustic Canyon. Moorpark CA (FYI Moorpark backwards is Krap room)

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

My top 3 that I have played

Kananaskis country GC Mount Kidd course.

Silvertip Canmore AB

( I know that there not in the USA but North America close enough LOL)

And Rustic Canyon. Moorpark CA (FYI Moorpark backwards is Krap room)

I live in Houston, work for big oil and we have operations in Calgary. I played 54 holes at Kananaskis and 36 at stewart creek in 48 hours. Coming from flat land to that...it was like I died and gone to heaven. Of course, the late July weather helped and the long daylight. I have a new found respect for Canada golf.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

If its courses I've played its Blackwolf run championship course, Pebble Beach and Bethpage Black -

If it's based on what I've played or seen live it's Oakland Hills, Shinecock, Blackwolf Run Championship

If its based on any courses that I've at least seen on TV or live it's

Augusta, Oakland Hills, Shinecock

Pebble is spectacular in terms of its beauty - I'm not so sure I thought it was as great a course as lots of others think but that's the problem with playing a place once - maybe it was a bad day for the course, maybe it was a bad day for me maybe its far more intricate than I could grasp. Bethpage is behind Pebble for me only because I played it before all the updates - it was most certainly the most difficult course I've ever been on and I've played Whistling Straits from the tips before they redid the sod to make it playable for its first PGA. A part of its (Bethpage's) difficulty was its lack of conditioning though.

Oh and I'm assuming US courses here - I'd go Augusta, Old Course, Oakland Hills if we can pick any course in the world that we've seen.

Michigan love. I like it. I don't think OH is as good as is hyped up to be. I put it fifth in Michigan after Crystal downs, lost dunes, forest dunes, and Kingsley. Shinnecock was close for me. I like that one a lot. Some day I need to actually play all these!

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

I live in Houston, work for big oil and we have operations in Calgary. I played 54 holes at Kananaskis and 36 at stewart creek in 48 hours. Coming from flat land to that...it was like I died and gone to heaven. Of course, the late July weather helped and the long daylight. I have a new found respect for Canada golf.

I grew up in Calgary so I played these courses a lot they use to have a Alberta residence deal at kananaskis I think it was like $40 to play it was nice. Now I live in Los Angeles and I miss the mountain courses.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Top 3 I have played

1. The Ocean Course - Paspalum greens are unbelievable

2. The South Course at Mauna Lani - #15 is unbelievable (see the tee shot below)

3. Tie - Caladonia in Myrtle Beach (Mike Strantz was a genius) and National Golf Club (formerly Pinehurst National until they were forced by the resort to change the name).

These could change quickly if I ever get out to Bandon Dunes! Also, my parents just moved to Santa Fe so looking forward to the courses out there.

2011-04-27%2011.59.08%20small.jpg

2016 M1 10.5 Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 3W Aldila RIP Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 19° Matrix Radix S7 Stiff 
Ping i25 4i-PW KBS Stiff (soft-stepped)
Titleist SM7 52 8° F Stiff
Titleist SM7 56 8° M Stiff
Titleist SM7 60 4° L Stiff
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34" Superstroke Flatso 2.0
Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 grips
Snell MTB Red (Optic Yellow)
Powerbilt TPS Cabretta Tour Glove
Callaway RAZR Laser

• SPY VIP

OK Lemme think now. I've played a lot of sweet Canadian ones but my US list is limited.

Top Played US course(s):

Kapalua Plantation

Top Course(s) visited:

Bandon (all)

Sahalee

Top Courses as seen on TV etc:

Agusta

Pine Valley

Shinnecock

Not to hijack your thread with Canadian picks but it's all I got :)

http://scoregolf.com/rankings/top100/top-100-golf-courses-in-canada-2012

Canada Played:

5. Capilano G&CC

21. Shaughnessy G&CC

23. Victoria GC

92. Marine Drive GC

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I have not been playing long enough to have played a lot of courses but my list is:

#1 - Ko'olau on Oahu (See pic)

This course is rated one of the most difficult in the nation for good reason. It is basically in a rain forest so it is very wet. There are lots of forced carries over ravines and it is sloped everywhere so when you do land in the fairway you are not garunteed a good lie. It was the most fun and had the best views of anywhere though. I recommend everyone play it once just for the views. If I get back to the island I will play again.

#2 - The North Course at Pelican Hill

Played both the North and South. The Notrh was just a better course I thought. You were not close to the ocean but overall the view was better and there was less distractions.

#3 - Any course that is not Links style. I get bored with those.

Ko'olau.jpg

If we are talking dreams:

1. Augusta National: I've got practice round tickets this year. I'm so psyched!

2. Pine Valley

3. Cypress Point

Best I've played

1. Congressional

2. Shady Oaks

3. Austin Country Club

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Archived