TESTERS WANTED! ×

PGA Show Interviews

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

Well...not really. You don't ask the questions, and just because you want to know something, it doesn't mean we're going to ask, but with all of that said.

X and I had a lengthy discussion about PGA show coverage this AM. We've been talking about video for a while now, and my thinking is we're never going to do it, until we do it, so we should probably just do it. Make sense?

As is always the case here at MGS, X has his perspective, I have mine (and we haven't even talked to Matt and Tim yet...so that's probably going to result in quad-direction perspective). My point is that each of us has different ideas what you guys would be interested in hearing about.

What we're not going to do is stick a mic in somebody's face and say "tell us about your new...".

So with all of that also said, if you have any specific questions you'd like us to ask representatives from a specific company, or if you have more general conceptual type things you'd like us to discuss, here's a chance to let us know.

Type what you need to type, let us know who the question is for, and hit that post button. All ideas are welcome...implementation? Who knows.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

What I would be most interested in is new companies that are trying to crack the infrastructure of the golfing industry. Questions such as "With all the big companies providing _______ and _______ how is your product different from theirs?" Or "Why do you see a need for this product, training aid, etc in the world of golf today?" Just some different line of reasoning and questioning that does not let a company give you a sales pitch but makes them actually acountable for their product on a supply and demand level

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

I'd love to hear from someone at TM, Callaway, Nike etc that came give a valid reason why the same club is always $50 more expensive in Canada then the US.

I get that there's multilingual advertising required, cross border shipping etc. I also know that Honda tried pulling the same line and got kicked in the junk by the Government and Consumer Price Protection groups when they looked at the numbers.

I imagine I'll never get a satisfactory answer but watching all the 2013 release stuff go up, that extra $50 makes the price go from good value to appalling pretty quickly.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

How about asking one of the big companies (TMAG cally. Titleist) why they won't go one year without making new clubs considering technology has for all intents and purposes maxed out. I'd just like to hear them say " well obviously it's because we can fool you again every year". Dang. They got hulk again :)

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

• SPY VIP

You guys should ask TMAG if they'll ever go back to black drivers.

Might be worth an ask. Interesting is that by going to an all-in-one loft with the R1, they've effectively reduced the amount of inventory that's absolutely necessary to meet all lof/flex requirements. Basically, if they wanted to go that route, there should be room on the shelf.

Thus far TM has avoided the color customization route (cobra and to a greater extent Callaway). They've also thus far avoided special edition clubs (Cobra, Nike). All sorts of potential, but if they are planning anything, I'm certain they won't tell me until they're ready to talk about it.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

Now that's a home run!

Ask the Druh Belt models to explain the effective loft of a driver and its implications for consumers in the new adjustable club marketplace.

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Ask them to tell you what the "best" customer question has been so far. Then make a montage.

We're gonna need a montage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU9Uwhjlog8

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I would like to know:

Are crown graphics going to become the new normal?

Is black a dying breed?

Are made-for shafts a dying breed?

What else can you do to improve your golf balls?

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Might be worth an ask. Interesting is that by going to an all-in-one loft with the R1, they've effectively reduced the amount of inventory that's absolutely necessary to meet all lof/flex requirements. Basically, if they wanted to go that route, there should be room on the shelf.

Thus far TM has avoided the color customization route (cobra and to a greater extent Callaway). They've also thus far avoided special edition clubs (Cobra, Nike). All sorts of potential, but if they are planning anything, I'm certain they won't tell me until they're ready to talk about it.

I'd like to know why TM is providing us with all in one lofts and the tour pros are getting 3 lofts and a second version of the R1? The R1 v2 has a deeper face and is a hair smaller and they get 3 lofts to choose from. I'd also like to know why their last 2 R series drivers (R1 and R11s) sound like exploding tin cans and the R11 had a not so shrill tone to it. 10 grams of hotmelt couldn't quiet the R11S. They tried to quiet the R1 by adding internal fins but its still a horrendously loud head. Haven't hit the V2 yet, and probably won't at $1300 as I've had lots of tour issued gear but I won't pay that for it.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Another question is if you could ask the Druh belt models if their belts can do double duty and become suspenders. And if so, if they'd prove it.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Okay I remain intrigued by the dueling banjo between the Srixon opinion that tour level balls spin more and therefore are not suitable for mid-handicap golfers while Titleist and TMag say everyone would benefit from playing one of their tour level balls.

I'd love to know what data Srixon has that suggests this is the case because the ball tests I see here tend to favor the Titleist/TMag line of argument - in fact sometimes the mid priced balls spin more off the driver than the tour level balls.

Interesting to me. Is there something different about Srixon's balls from the others?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Another question I thought of. Can you ask the grip companies why they don't ever offer the Midsize users anything except black and sometimes white grips? Pisses me off to NO end.

Edit:

And I go in to PGA Superstore and they have a new color... Granted its not bright, but they did have the new Lamkin Crossline ACE in Midsize in... Grey. Sucks they're .580 instead of .600, but its a start lol.

In The Bag

• SPY VIP

I agree it sucks since I use midsize grips too, but the answer to that is going to be supply and demand.

ding ding ding...we have a winner.

ding ding ding...we have a winner.

Well, I know I personally go through around 150-200 grips per year (from ho'ing and changing them every 4 months). Lol.

I did find grey today. And I've seen a few in other colors.

Iomics don't count because their Midsize is really standard.

In The Bag

Well, I know I personally go through around 150-200 grips per year (from ho'ing and changing them every 4 months). Lol.

I did find grey today. And I've seen a few in other colors.

Iomics don't count because their Midsize is really standard.

Don't forget PURE, I really like the Pro model and they come in all sorts of colors.

I just wished Lamkin and Golf Pride would go back to making the half cord grips. Those were tits.

In The Bag

Don't forget PURE, I really like the Pro model and they come in all sorts of colors.

One thing I don't like about Pures (and I still have some I don't use and a few on the Carnahan wedges) is the cap near the butt end is around 3/8" thick as opposed to most manufacturers 1/8" cap allowance. It changes how much of the grip is extended past the butt of your hand. I'm sure that's not a biggie to some, but I can feel it brushing against the heel of my hand at full wrist coc_k. It's also more pliable in the butt section which changes the feel on some chips where I like to hang a pinkie off when using a putting stroke.

In The Bag

Ask Scotty Cameron about Mr. Cooper and their business deal, and about Scotty's partnership with Byron Morgan and John Ortega - specifically where did Scotty go for two weeks before he signed with an OEM. Also, Ask Scotty how much he learned about making putters when he worked in Byron's shop after leaving his mother inlaw's garage. And if he would kindly return the Ray Cook Rolodex he borrowed while working there.

I spy with my little eye something...

Ask Scotty Cameron about Mr. Cooper and their business deal, and about Scotty's partnership with Byron Morgan and John Ortega - specifically where did Scotty go for two weeks before he signed with an OEM. Also, Ask Scotty how much he learned about making putters when he worked in Byron's shop after leaving his mother inlaw's garage. And if he would kindly return the Ray Cook Rolodex he borrowed while working there.

Rumors have been floating about a Scotty deal with Salty Putter Grips...maybe a confirmation of that?

Posted Image

I'd like to ask someone to swing by the ClicGear booth and get some pics of the new 3.5 Cart!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Archived