TESTERS WANTED! ×

Final 4/8/13 - My first driver head repainting project

I was inspired by Walkerjames and his blacked out R11 (and Rookieblue and his multitude of projects) and decided to have a go at painting a driver head for the first time. I had an Adams F11 sitting around that I just got a shaft for, so decided to start the process today and see how it turns out.

I'm about half way done right now, I'll be sure to update once I get it completed and continue to take pictures along the way. For those that aren't familiar with the club here is a stock image of what the F11 looks like.

adamsspeedlinef11driver.jpg

I wasn't crazy about the teal/yellow paint scheme so I figured this would be a good candidate for a remodel. First step for me was getting all the old paint off. I used some spray on Tal-Strip to remove all the old paint and finish. It works great, just spray it on and wait a couple minutes, then wipe off with a shop towel. It takes a few times to get everything, but I have yet to find a better way to remove paint from metal.

1 (Custom).JPG 2 (Custom).JPG

This was the first past, the stuff foams a little bit and bubbles to let you know it's working.

3 (Custom).JPG 4 (Custom).JPG

Had to put in a little elbow grease at this point to get the last little bit off. I used a toothbrush to get into all the cracks and then for the last tiny bits that get stuck in the paint fill areas I used a toothpick to flick out the paint. Here are the pictures of it completely stripped. i actually really liked the look and debated about leaving it like this. I ended up sticking with the plan to paint it, I figure I can always strip it back off if i don't like it.

5 (Custom).JPG 6 (Custom).JPG

8 (Custom).JPG 9 (Custom).JPG

It's probably taken me at least an hour to finish taping it all off. I finally understand why everyone says that's the hardest part. I also kept going back and forth on whether I wanted to paint the sole of the club again or if I wanted to leave the shiny metal finish bare. In the end I decided to paint it the same color as the crown and then I can paint fill in what I want. Here are the pictures of it all taped up.

10 (Custom).JPG 11 (Custom).JPG

12 (Custom).JPG 13 (Custom).JPG

Tomorrow will be starting the painting process. I plan on doing a little wet sanding with 400 grit sand paper, then wiping it down with acetone to remove any finger oils from the surface. Then I'll put on a coat of metal etching primer followed by my color of choice until I like the finish. If i get runs I'll have to do a little more wet sanding between coats. Going to finish it off with a clear coat and then put it all together.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Cool can't wait. What color?

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

You better send out for pizza.........looks like it's gonna take awhile.

Great Project.....please continue with your documentation.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Pats have Gronk, Ninkovich, and Talib back. The Pats/Broncos is going to be fun to watch, but in the end a repeat of week 4.

I think a little Flying Elvis on the crown as an alignment aid would be perfect!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Teaser. Get me all excited and then I find out you are only half finished.:angry:

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Teaser. Get me all excited and then I find out you are only half finished.:angry:

Just put the first coat of primer on this morning. I don't have access to any painting booths so it's gonna be a few hours while I wait for it to cure. Hoping to get at least a coat or two of paint on by the end of the day.

Nice...looking forward to finished pics!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I have the same driver head and I really like the unfinished look. I might be heading out to pick up some tal-strip and give it a try. Can't wait to see the finished pics, thanks for posting!

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

I haven't had as much time as I would have liked over the past few days to put into the driver head. Due to that and because I got impatient I'm not 100% happy with my results. If I had to grade myself I'd take home a solid C. It's a passing grade, but nothing to write home about. I rushed a few steps and ended up getting runs in my paint. Then I had to sand out the runs and ended up with uneven finishes. It's also not as smooth as I would like it to be.

In the end I will probably end up stripping the whole thing again and just painting the crown. I'll leave the sole raw and just do paint fill on it. But here are the rest of the pictures and the process I used.

I used a metal etching primer from a spray can. It actually went on really well and had a nice smooth finish.

1 (Custom).JPG 2 (Custom).JPG

3 (Custom).JPG

As you can see from the last picture there I made a little holder out of an old broken shaft to use while painting. I just the head off a bolt, then taped half in a broken shaft and the other half in the club head. It worked out very well for not getting my hands covered in paint.

These pictures are after the 3rd coat of blue. You can see the huge run on the sole of the club, this is where my problems started. Up until this point I had a really nice smooth finish on all the paint.

4 (Custom).JPG 5 (Custom).JPG

After a few times trying to sand out runs and buff with acetone to smooth it out I pretty much just made it worse. I wouldn't be embarrassed to play the club, but it's not up to par with how I would like it. I still need to do the paint fill. I'm not going to do everything, just some highlights in white.

So here is the finished head without the paint fill. At least until I strip it again and start over :)

6 (Custom).JPG 7 (Custom).JPG

8 (Custom).JPG 9 (Custom).JPG

10 (Custom).JPG

Not bad -- like the color scheme. Kinda St. Louis Rams-y...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Is that just automotive spray paint? It will sky like a hot knife through butter if you hit it on the crown, so don't do that.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I'm not sure what this means...what is a good paint type to use for metalwood heads?

I was under the impression that drivers were painted with a urethane paint just like cars. Although spray cans are most likely enamel or lacquer.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I'm not sure what this means...what is a good paint type to use for metalwood heads?

Something heated so it will be strong, like the ones that come stock on all heads nowadays. Regular old paint is fine if it never gets touched but any thing hitting it, be it a ball, a pebble, or accidental bag chatter will chip it. It takes a lot to chip a normal finish.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Yup, just automotive spray paint that I got at Autozone. I don't really have the resources at home to do anything else.

I do have a buddy that owns a paint shop. He is going to be painting my golf cart for me in the next month or two, I may just take the head in with me when we do it and have him spray that the same color.

I just looked into it a little. It seems the strongest paint type, powder coating, is what I'm guessing is used for golf clubs. Unfortunately, it requires heating the object and a special spray gun.

Urethane paint emits toxic gases, so it's an alternative, but something that should be done outdoors or with a good respirator. Plus proper drying time can takes up to 3 weeks in colder climates. Definitely not something to have around kids.

I just looked into it a little. It seems the strongest paint type, powder coating, is what I'm guessing is used for golf clubs. Unfortunately, it requires heating the object and a special spray gun.

Urethane paint emits toxic gases, so it's an alternative, but something that should be done outdoors or with a good respirator. Plus proper drying time can takes up to 3 weeks in colder climates. Definitely not something to have around kids.

That is correct. Rookie does it himself but he's on another level that most of us.

I keep all my chemicals on a shelf nobody else in my family can reach, not even my dad without a little boost. Little brother and little cousins won't be getting near them.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Looks great, im planning on trying this with an old nike driver head i picked up for 10 bucks before i move on to my gamer clubs

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I would suggest that the next time you paint a head to paint one side at a time if you dont have a rack or wire to either hang it or place it face down so that all of your paint run off should run to your taped areas. Also because I was scanning through not sure what type of paint that you used, spray or airbrush acrylic, but either way it is best to apply one coat(literally one spray pass) and allow it to dry. Now your temp outside and humidity will determain how long it will take each coat to dry, but with my acrylics that I use, I normally give 2-6 hours depending on the outside temp. The cooler it is the longer it takes. At times I have even employeed a heat gun, however it has to be done evenly and with great care to keep the paint from bubbling up on you!

It looks great for a first attempt! Stuff like this gets me through the winter months when it is impossible to play golf!!!

FYI: TESTORS MAKES SOME PRETTY GOOD AND CHEAP AIRBRUSH KITS THAT HAVE 5/6 PAINT COLORS AND AIRBRUSH AND PROPELANT... FOR BETWEEN $25-$50 DEPENDING ON HOW NICE OF ONE YOU WANT....

I would suggest that the next time you paint a head to paint one side at a time if you dont have a rack or wire to either hang it or place it face down so that all of your paint run off should run to your taped areas. Also because I was scanning through not sure what type of paint that you used, spray or airbrush acrylic, but either way it is best to apply one coat(literally one spray pass) and allow it to dry. Now your temp outside and humidity will determain how long it will take each coat to dry, but with my acrylics that I use, I normally give 2-6 hours depending on the outside temp. The cooler it is the longer it takes. At times I have even employeed a heat gun, however it has to be done evenly and with great care to keep the paint from bubbling up on you!

It looks great for a first attempt! Stuff like this gets me through the winter months when it is impossible to play golf!!!

FYI: TESTORS MAKES SOME PRETTY GOOD AND CHEAP AIRBRUSH KITS THAT HAVE 5/6 PAINT COLORS AND AIRBRUSH AND PROPELANT... FOR BETWEEN $25-$50 DEPENDING ON HOW NICE OF ONE YOU WANT....

Thanks for the tips. Definitely agree with doing one pass and letting it dry. Learned that one the hard way.

I live in MN and it's been cold, but when I started the first couple coats it was in the high 30's. I have an insulated garage so it was probably at least 60 in there. Worked out well to clamp the shaft in the vise and let it dry. On my 3rd coat the weather had turned and dropped into single digits. That coat dried real funny, like it had a grey hue to it. I took the heat gun to it and it changed right back to the blue I was looking for. After that I took it into the basement for all the other coats to dry.

Archived