hckymeyer

Final 4/8/13 - My first driver head repainting project

I was inspired by Walkerjames and his blacked out R11 (and Rookieblue and his multitude of projects) and decided to have a go at painting a driver head for the first time. I had an Adams F11 sitting around that I just got a shaft for, so decided to start the process today and see how it turns out.

I'm about half way done right now, I'll be sure to update once I get it completed and continue to take pictures along the way. For those that aren't familiar with the club here is a stock image of what the F11 looks like.

adamsspeedlinef11driver.jpg

I wasn't crazy about the teal/yellow paint scheme so I figured this would be a good candidate for a remodel. First step for me was getting all the old paint off. I used some spray on Tal-Strip to remove all the old paint and finish. It works great, just spray it on and wait a couple minutes, then wipe off with a shop towel. It takes a few times to get everything, but I have yet to find a better way to remove paint from metal.

1 (Custom).JPG 2 (Custom).JPG

This was the first past, the stuff foams a little bit and bubbles to let you know it's working.

3 (Custom).JPG 4 (Custom).JPG

Had to put in a little elbow grease at this point to get the last little bit off. I used a toothbrush to get into all the cracks and then for the last tiny bits that get stuck in the paint fill areas I used a toothpick to flick out the paint. Here are the pictures of it completely stripped. i actually really liked the look and debated about leaving it like this. I ended up sticking with the plan to paint it, I figure I can always strip it back off if i don't like it.

5 (Custom).JPG 6 (Custom).JPG

8 (Custom).JPG 9 (Custom).JPG

It's probably taken me at least an hour to finish taping it all off. I finally understand why everyone says that's the hardest part. I also kept going back and forth on whether I wanted to paint the sole of the club again or if I wanted to leave the shiny metal finish bare. In the end I decided to paint it the same color as the crown and then I can paint fill in what I want. Here are the pictures of it all taped up.

10 (Custom).JPG 11 (Custom).JPG

12 (Custom).JPG 13 (Custom).JPG

Tomorrow will be starting the painting process. I plan on doing a little wet sanding with 400 grit sand paper, then wiping it down with acetone to remove any finger oils from the surface. Then I'll put on a coat of metal etching primer followed by my color of choice until I like the finish. If i get runs I'll have to do a little more wet sanding between coats. Going to finish it off with a clear coat and then put it all together.

Man that's some slick taping and attention to detail. I can't wait to see the outcome of this.

You better send out for pizza.........looks like it's gonna take awhile.

Great Project.....please continue with your documentation.

I have to agree it looks way better raw than the original paint scheme. Looking forward to reading more Hck. I may have to try this with my 910h some day.

I'm a fan of the raw finish. I'm rocking my Cobra S9-1 with it's raw finish.

I just had a mental image of a silver/blue R11s to commiserate the Pat's super bowl this year..very very tempting :)

You better plan on making that orange/blue, because nobody is gonna beat the Broncos, this is the best team Peyton has played on.

You better plan on making that orange/blue, because nobody is gonna beat the Broncos, this is the best team Peyton has played on.

Pats have Gronk, Ninkovich, and Talib back. The Pats/Broncos is going to be fun to watch, but in the end a repeat of week 4.

Pats have Gronk, Ninkovich, and Talib back. The Pats/Broncos is going to be fun to watch, but in the end a repeat of week 4.

I think a little Flying Elvis on the crown as an alignment aid would be perfect!

Teaser. Get me all excited and then I find out you are only half finished.:angry:

Just put the first coat of primer on this morning. I don't have access to any painting booths so it's gonna be a few hours while I wait for it to cure. Hoping to get at least a coat or two of paint on by the end of the day.

I'm a fan of the raw finish. I'm rocking my Cobra S9-1 with it's raw finish.

I think the raw finish on the driver is pretty cool looking, I'd probably just leave it unpainted if it were me.

I have the same driver head and I really like the unfinished look. I might be heading out to pick up some tal-strip and give it a try. Can't wait to see the finished pics, thanks for posting!

I haven't had as much time as I would have liked over the past few days to put into the driver head. Due to that and because I got impatient I'm not 100% happy with my results. If I had to grade myself I'd take home a solid C. It's a passing grade, but nothing to write home about. I rushed a few steps and ended up getting runs in my paint. Then I had to sand out the runs and ended up with uneven finishes. It's also not as smooth as I would like it to be.

In the end I will probably end up stripping the whole thing again and just painting the crown. I'll leave the sole raw and just do paint fill on it. But here are the rest of the pictures and the process I used.

I used a metal etching primer from a spray can. It actually went on really well and had a nice smooth finish.

1 (Custom).JPG 2 (Custom).JPG

3 (Custom).JPG

As you can see from the last picture there I made a little holder out of an old broken shaft to use while painting. I just the head off a bolt, then taped half in a broken shaft and the other half in the club head. It worked out very well for not getting my hands covered in paint.

These pictures are after the 3rd coat of blue. You can see the huge run on the sole of the club, this is where my problems started. Up until this point I had a really nice smooth finish on all the paint.

4 (Custom).JPG 5 (Custom).JPG

After a few times trying to sand out runs and buff with acetone to smooth it out I pretty much just made it worse. I wouldn't be embarrassed to play the club, but it's not up to par with how I would like it. I still need to do the paint fill. I'm not going to do everything, just some highlights in white.

So here is the finished head without the paint fill. At least until I strip it again and start over :)

6 (Custom).JPG 7 (Custom).JPG

8 (Custom).JPG 9 (Custom).JPG

10 (Custom).JPG

Not bad -- like the color scheme. Kinda St. Louis Rams-y...

Is that just automotive spray paint? It will sky like a hot knife through butter if you hit it on the crown, so don't do that.

It will sky like a hot knife through butter if you hit it on the crown, so don't do that.

I'm not sure what this means...what is a good paint type to use for metalwood heads?