hckymeyer

Final 4/8/13 - My first driver head repainting project

I'm not sure what this means...what is a good paint type to use for metalwood heads?

I was under the impression that drivers were painted with a urethane paint just like cars. Although spray cans are most likely enamel or lacquer.

I'm not sure what this means...what is a good paint type to use for metalwood heads?

Something heated so it will be strong, like the ones that come stock on all heads nowadays. Regular old paint is fine if it never gets touched but any thing hitting it, be it a ball, a pebble, or accidental bag chatter will chip it. It takes a lot to chip a normal finish.

Yup, just automotive spray paint that I got at Autozone. I don't really have the resources at home to do anything else.

I do have a buddy that owns a paint shop. He is going to be painting my golf cart for me in the next month or two, I may just take the head in with me when we do it and have him spray that the same color.

I just looked into it a little. It seems the strongest paint type, powder coating, is what I'm guessing is used for golf clubs. Unfortunately, it requires heating the object and a special spray gun.

Urethane paint emits toxic gases, so it's an alternative, but something that should be done outdoors or with a good respirator. Plus proper drying time can takes up to 3 weeks in colder climates. Definitely not something to have around kids.

I just looked into it a little. It seems the strongest paint type, powder coating, is what I'm guessing is used for golf clubs. Unfortunately, it requires heating the object and a special spray gun.

Urethane paint emits toxic gases, so it's an alternative, but something that should be done outdoors or with a good respirator. Plus proper drying time can takes up to 3 weeks in colder climates. Definitely not something to have around kids.

That is correct. Rookie does it himself but he's on another level that most of us.

I keep all my chemicals on a shelf nobody else in my family can reach, not even my dad without a little boost. Little brother and little cousins won't be getting near them.

I seriously want one in the matte primer gray. Not saying your color scheme isn't wicked cool, but that gray is bad ass.

Looks great, im planning on trying this with an old nike driver head i picked up for 10 bucks before i move on to my gamer clubs

Paint looks good. Hopefully it holds up for you.

Dude, I think that that would be very cool lookin! You oughta post a couple of pics, if not here, throw em up on a thread.

Here you go, Richard.

Crown

Raw Crown.jpg

Sole

Raw Sole.jpg

I would suggest that the next time you paint a head to paint one side at a time if you dont have a rack or wire to either hang it or place it face down so that all of your paint run off should run to your taped areas. Also because I was scanning through not sure what type of paint that you used, spray or airbrush acrylic, but either way it is best to apply one coat(literally one spray pass) and allow it to dry. Now your temp outside and humidity will determain how long it will take each coat to dry, but with my acrylics that I use, I normally give 2-6 hours depending on the outside temp. The cooler it is the longer it takes. At times I have even employeed a heat gun, however it has to be done evenly and with great care to keep the paint from bubbling up on you!

It looks great for a first attempt! Stuff like this gets me through the winter months when it is impossible to play golf!!!

FYI: TESTORS MAKES SOME PRETTY GOOD AND CHEAP AIRBRUSH KITS THAT HAVE 5/6 PAINT COLORS AND AIRBRUSH AND PROPELANT... FOR BETWEEN $25-$50 DEPENDING ON HOW NICE OF ONE YOU WANT....

I would suggest that the next time you paint a head to paint one side at a time if you dont have a rack or wire to either hang it or place it face down so that all of your paint run off should run to your taped areas. Also because I was scanning through not sure what type of paint that you used, spray or airbrush acrylic, but either way it is best to apply one coat(literally one spray pass) and allow it to dry. Now your temp outside and humidity will determain how long it will take each coat to dry, but with my acrylics that I use, I normally give 2-6 hours depending on the outside temp. The cooler it is the longer it takes. At times I have even employeed a heat gun, however it has to be done evenly and with great care to keep the paint from bubbling up on you!

It looks great for a first attempt! Stuff like this gets me through the winter months when it is impossible to play golf!!!

FYI: TESTORS MAKES SOME PRETTY GOOD AND CHEAP AIRBRUSH KITS THAT HAVE 5/6 PAINT COLORS AND AIRBRUSH AND PROPELANT... FOR BETWEEN $25-$50 DEPENDING ON HOW NICE OF ONE YOU WANT....

Thanks for the tips. Definitely agree with doing one pass and letting it dry. Learned that one the hard way.

I live in MN and it's been cold, but when I started the first couple coats it was in the high 30's. I have an insulated garage so it was probably at least 60 in there. Worked out well to clamp the shaft in the vise and let it dry. On my 3rd coat the weather had turned and dropped into single digits. That coat dried real funny, like it had a grey hue to it. I took the heat gun to it and it changed right back to the blue I was looking for. After that I took it into the basement for all the other coats to dry.

Well I finally got around to taking pictures of the almost final product. I still need to do the paint fill on the bottom, but everything else is finished.

I ended up not liking the color that I originally painted it with. So I stripped it back off and had my buddy shoot it the same blue as my cart when he painted that. I'm really happy with the way this turned out and I can't wait to hit it.

IMG_1155.JPG IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

That is freakin' beautiful! Awesome job...

Slick. I still have to order the shaft for my pink bomber.