Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Equipment for 2013

whiskey golf

I have no idea how much I'll actually spend, especially if I wind up plopping down for LASIK, but my demo list is:

Covert Performance/Amp Cell drivers

Covert Tour 3W

Covert Tour Hybrid

SCOR wedges

New adidas light weight shoe, in yellow of course

I really see no reason to pay the extra $100 for the R1 over the Covert/Cell, so I'll probably pass on that one. My irons and putter aren't going anywhere, and I'm still happy with my $20 golf shirts from Target (pronounced Tar-j-ey)

People getting all worked about about crown graphics being distracting...whether it's Nike's Swoosh, Adams's Speedline logo, or TaylorMade's R1 and RBZ graphic patters don't know what they'll they're talking about. It's one thing to say you don't like them, but as a matter of science, they're simply not a factor.

I have used both of the Taylormade drives this year and I found them distracting. My eye wants to follow the colours back on the take away, which leads to bad things in the swing. Could I adjust? Sure. Do I want to? Not particularly.

I understand that some people on the main site comments section have been peeing in your cheerio's lately, so maybe you're a little worked up. But between this and the TM article it's self, the tone is coming off a bit strong. Customers are dumb. I get it. Maybe tone it back a bit though?

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I have no idea how much I'll actually spend, especially if I wind up plopping down for LASIK, but my demo list is:

Covert Performance/Amp Cell drivers

Covert Tour 3W

Covert Tour Hybrid

SCOR wedges

New adidas light weight shoe, in yellow of course

I really see no reason to pay the extra $100 for the R1 over the Covert/Cell, so I'll probably pass on that one. My irons and putter aren't going anywhere, and I'm still happy with my $20 golf shirts from Target (pronounced Tar-j-ey)

Target actually has pretty quality stuff. My favorite golf pants are the Champion Duo that they carry.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I'm pretty set. I have the Mizuno JPX/MP59 combo set irons and just picked up some MP 62's for a backup set. Went back to my Grind wedges recently because I was struggling with the Scor's. I just have more confidence with the Grind's for some reason. The RBZ 3W and 2H will stay in the bag, love them! Also gaming the 23 degree Adams A12 pro hybrid which is a good stick. Driver is a bit of a problem as of now. Haven't hit the R11S well at all since I got it so I picked up a SuperDeep on the cheap and I'm gonna game it for a while with the Black Ops shaft. I was very happy with it only time I played it. I'm sure I'll rotate putters as always. I have 1 bad round and switch to a different one. I'm sure that contributes to my putting woes. I really like the B330's so I'll game those primarily as well as some Hex Blacks I had.

Did you see the thread I started on SCOR? There was some great advice there - once I got my hands in a more neutral, instead of forward press position I started hitting much better shots with those wedges around the green.

How is the 59/JPX combo working out for you particularly the yardage gap between your longest 59 and your shortest JPX? I'm going to have mine strengthened a bit today - 2 degrees on the 8 iron, 2 degrees on the 9, 1 degree on the PW just so I can get those gaps evened out - there's 18 yards between my 8 iron and my 7 iron.

I absolutely cream my R11s - no one is taking that thing out of my bag - I've had at least 1 drive over 260 the last three times that I've played and our courses are still playing very wet and long - I'm starting to turn the thing over on command - I only missed one fairway last round and 2 the round before.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Did you see the thread I started on SCOR? There was some great advice there - once I got my hands in a more neutral, instead of forward press position I started hitting much better shots with those wedges around the green.

How is the 59/JPX combo working out for you particularly the yardage gap between your longest 59 and your shortest JPX? I'm going to have mine strengthened a bit today - 2 degrees on the 8 iron, 2 degrees on the 9, 1 degree on the PW just so I can get those gaps evened out - there's 18 yards between my 8 iron and my 7 iron.

I absolutely cream my R11s - no one is taking that thing out of my bag - I've had at least 1 drive over 260 the last three times that I've played and our courses are still playing very wet and long - I'm starting to turn the thing over on command - I only missed one fairway last round and 2 the round before.

I'll read the Scor thread, I just dig those Grind wedges and always end up going back to them. I like the feel of the Mizuno combo set but I really really wish I had gone with my gut instinct and gotten the 59's all the way through. It may be the offset of the 825's but seems like I have a harder time squaring them up. Plus I love the way the 59's look and have more confidence standing over them. I just picked up a set of 62's with Px 6.0's for a backup set, they may be my reg set though if I continue to struggle with the 825's. The fittings were great from a numbers standpoint, but I wish I had listened to myself on the club choice and picked the 59's. The fitter was a big fan of the 825's and sold me on them.

I'm LOVING the RBZ 3w and RBZ 16.5H but haven't been crazy about the R11S. I had the R11 but struggled with it so I sold it. Bought the 910D2 and loved it but went back to the R11S since I was fitted for it. Not sure what it is but don't seem to hit it that well, I'm currently trying an R9 SuperDeep with the Black Ops Pearl shaft. If it doesn't work out I may go after a 913D2 head before it's all said and done and put the Black Ops in it.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

My experiment with the 24* hybrid was short lived. I did not particularly like it when compared to the MP FLI HI 24*. One thing I have noticed is that I really do not use the gap wedge that much. It is 51* and my current PW is 48* and the shafts are practically the same length. So, my experiment now is to drop the gap wedge, add the MP FLI HI 18* and adjust the loft on the Rescue 11 to 16.5* with a bit longer shaft and reshafted the 3 wood and driver for more distance.

Not too long ago I was a huge advocate of carrying many wedges. I carried PW, 52, 56, 60, and 64. And I used all of them many times during the round but this was also back when I played once or twice a week. Now I practice, at least everyday. I can hit the 64 any distance up to 88 yards. The 56 up to about 110 and the PW up to 130 but rarely hit them as hard as I can.

I know this thread is about buying new equipment but since I am not planning on buying new equipment than this is what I plan to change.

Oh wait a minute, I may be buying new to me iron heads in less than 3 hours. I am trying to work a deal where I sell my MP32 heads and get some MP33 heads to strip the chrome off and make gun blue, but this is not really much of a change.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

My experiment with the 24* hybrid was short lived. I did not particularly like it when compared to the MP FLI HI 24*. One thing I have noticed is that I really do not use the gap wedge that much. It is 51* and my current PW is 48* and the shafts are practically the same length. So, my experiment now is to drop the gap wedge, add the MP FLI HI 18* and adjust the loft on the Rescue 11 to 16.5* with a bit longer shaft and reshafted the 3 wood and driver for more distance.

Not too long ago I was a huge advocate of carrying many wedges. I carried PW, 52, 56, 60, and 64. And I used all of them many times during the round but this was also back when I played once or twice a week. Now I practice, at least everyday. I can hit the 64 any distance up to 88 yards. The 56 up to about 110 and the PW up to 130 but rarely hit them as hard as I can.

I know this thread is about buying new equipment but since I am not planning on buying new equipment than this is what I plan to change.

Oh wait a minute, I may be buying new to me iron heads in less than 3 hours. I am trying to work a deal where I sell my MP32 heads and get some MP33 heads to strip the chrome off and make gun blue, but this is not really much of a change.

:)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I am currently trying some Mizuno JPX 800 Pros with Aerotech Steelfiber i95's I got off the bay for a steal. Before that I had mp 32's for 7 years with rifle project x 5.5's. I wanted something easier to hit. I love the shafts in the irons but I'm still not sure about the heads. I've had my Sonartec 15 degree Hybrid for years too. That may never leave the bag unless I break it. My Bettinardi Big Ben center shafted putter has also been in my bag for at least 7 years and will probably never leave either. I thought I was happy with my driver until I just happened to run into the Adams rep and I hit the new Super LS. My launch numbers were perfect with a 9.5 Stiff straight out of the reps bag. I might get that driver once the prices come down. I love my wedges: Scor's and a Pelz 64 I have also had for years.

I rarely switch clubs once I like something. If I make changes this year I am going to travel to the Golf Station or Hot Sticks and do the full custom fit thing. Or I'd love to get custom fit for Edel Wedges. That would be a dream scenario though. I could never afford it.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

If you're looking for something to get excited about from a lesser known brand, if you saw our post on the upcoming Krank Element...the face is beyond deep. For me the Element is right behind the Covert on the must try list.

It's going to be a while before you see a better season to pick a new driver.

hey golf spy t. I really liked the looks of that driver and I have always needed something deep faced and low spin. When do we find out who won that contest. I put quite a few options in because I thought that driver looked sweet.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

• 2 weeks later...

Nike Covert fore sure. What id like to do is get the adapters so i can try different types of shafts with different lofts

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I wanted to know what you guys are planning for the 2013 year in terms of equipment. Whether it be finding the perfect driver or working with the one you have, stuff along those lines. For me, I'm pretty satisfied with my current setup although I may consider adding a lower lofted hybrid. I'll take a look at the new drivers but the one I'm playing now goes straight and I can control it pretty well.

I'll be changing driver and putter. I am quite keen in getting either a TM or Cobra AMP driver, something which is adjustable simply because that's the trend. I'm also thinking of getting a Scotty Del Mar putter, this would be my second Scotty in the past 2 years. With that, my bag would be set for the year.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

That Nike driver looks nice! For some reason I really like the red and even the swoosh doesn't bug me. I don't think I would like it right on top. But where they put it is OK.

I am looking to get a Covert as well. I don't mind the red at all, but I did play an SMT 455 Deep Bore driver many moons ago.

and just like that, my bag has changed. After struggling with the fade-bias of the MP-650s, I traded my driver on a JPX-800 10.5*, my 3-wood on an MX-700 3-wood and traded in my 4 and 5 hybrids. Been eye a few sets of Mizuno MX irons on Ebay too. MPs are just a bit too much club for me right now and I need something that I can play well with even when my swing is off.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Archived