Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Custom Fit Putters

whiskey golf

For the average hack like myself, I feel my putting stoke is relatively consistent or at least the most consistent of any club in the bag. So it's probably the most accurately fit over time. I think having the loft and lie dialed in is essential. I had it done using both the Edel system and SAM lab.

Posted Image

I was curious about custom fitting for putters and I wanted to know your experiences.

- Have you been fitted for a putter before?

- Has it made a big difference versus standard?

- Do you think it doesn't matter and it's more of feel?

Yes, I've been fit for a putter many times, but this is the one that stuck:

http://www.mygolfspy.com/bruce-rearick-putter-fitting/

It's a huge difference, and it absolutely matters.

Now, the caveat to those answers is that the fitting is good. I think, more than any other club, putter fitting is extremely hit or miss with lots of people selling a bunch of crap. Email Bruce if you want to really understand what's going on with your putting stroke.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Was fit for a putter this year - feel as thought it definitely helped make my stroke more consistent. My pro used the Coutour fitting method. He suggested several different putters that would fit, but I decided to go with the Coutour Gullane - played a couple of rounds with a demo and really liked the results.

Matt's statement above is spot on - go to a fitter you trust.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Of you want a full blown custom, Prototype Putters are as affordable as it comes and fully customizable. Course you need to know your specs, but I'm ordering one soon after he checks on a few things. He sells them on EBay as well as having his own site. I'd go through his site if you want a custom. You won't beat the price for a custom. Granted they're cast heads in China and then he machines and customizes them for you, but everyone I've talked to has liked theirs.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I was fit for a putter last spring - essentially we were able to work with my putter because it was the proper lie, we shortened it an inch and a half and gave me a grip that fit my hands much better -

It has made a very big difference - My 50/50 spot moved back about a foot, I averaged fewer putts per round, really I putted better in any measurable way.

In fact I was very sick last summer and able to come back on play good golf simply because I putted so well - I lost about 20 yards for most of the summer and shot the same scores or lower than the past few years once I was well enough to play regularly.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I was curious about custom fitting for putters and I wanted to know your experiences.

- Have you been fitted for a putter before?

- Has it made a big difference versus standard?

- Do you think it doesn't matter and it's more of feel?

Yes, I have been fit to an extent by the same person that GolfSpy Matt wrote the article about. I found out by trial and error mostly and a confirmation that I had a putter style I liked that fit my stroke well. Anything with a little toe hang, full shaft offset. Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (carbon), SeeMore DB4 (carbon), YES! Callie-f (Carbon) are three putters I currently own. I have tried any number of styles of putters put always end up going back to that style of putter.

Yes, knowing exactly what length, grip size, style of head you need to match your stroke the best leads to a more consistent set-up and repeatable stroke. Really it's on you to just practice getting the ball on line after the equipment is out of the way. Bruce (Burnt Edges Consulting) uses a drill named "coin drill" you just put a coin 6in in front of the ball and learn to start the ball over the dead center of the coin with different length strokes, any misses you know are you and not a improper fit putter.

I think I answered your third question with my above statements, it does matter to both your confidence and ability to repeatably make the same stroke. A putters length and lie angle should act like a yard stick to always get into the same posture. Your posture will dictate the amount of arc in the stroke. The amount of arc you have in the stroke dictates the style of putter you should have. At least that is what I have learned talking to Bruce as a student plus reading his blog, plus reading his posts on puttertalk.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Archived