TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does a new putter company need to have an Anser?

Duke

This has been a question that my partner and I have been ducking, dodging, making up our own answers to, and otherwise completely avoiding. However, from all of the forum trolling I've done over the past three years of product development I've come to the conclusion that the Anser is the "answer", at least initially. We have a design that would definitely fall within the Anser paradigm, but have avoided pursuing it due to one of the immutable laws of branding: Be First.

This doesn't seem to apply to the putter industry. Any and all thoughts on this subject are welcome. The responses we received from our prior post completely shaped our first market ready design, so we are incredibly appreciative of all the feedback we receive at MGS. You guys and gals rock.

Tim

I think that the Anser is a great place for a putter company to start it seams to be one of the most popular putter models. I think it hard to take a putter company seriously when they start with some off the wall putter that may work great but looks weird.

Just my thoughts.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

The Anser headshape is the gold standard. No company that's been successful has done it without the most widely used headshape there is, whether having small deviations to the design or not. The Anser shape is to golf what ketchup and mustard is to a hotdog. You're not going to find many people that done like some of that flavor. Sure, people own mallets and such, but it all begins at the Anser for nearly every golfer.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I imagine it's possible to be successful without an Anser, but I think it's tougher. I think doing an Anser opens a lot of doors to you (because lots of people like it) while giving you an opportunity to show that you can do the little things that separate top shelf from middle of the pack.

My advice, if I were giving some, would be to do an Anser if you can do it really well: one or two subtle unique touches and really high end.

Oh, and no sight line. :D

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I imagine it's possible to be successful without an Anser, but I think it's tougher. I think doing an Anser opens a lot of doors to you (because lots of people like it) while giving you an opportunity to show that you can do the little things that separate top shelf from middle of the pack.

My advice, if I were giving some, would be to do an Anser if you can do it really well: one or two subtle unique touches and really high end.

Oh, and no sight line. :D

Totally agree with Matt. The Anser head makes you the money that funds the other head shapes until they become the money makers. Think Newport---->Futura

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

It sure seems like every company has one or more variations of the Anser style. While it seems people expect it and obviously want it, it's also a completely packed category and I'd think it would be pretty difficult to really differentiate yourself with that design.

For me personally it carries no weight as I haven't gamed an Anser style in 10 years and am probably unlikely to again. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate a well crafted Anser, but it doesn't really matter how pretty it is, I'm still not going to buy it.

Now a nice compact center shafted mallet, that gets my attention and is an underserved market. I think you should focus on those! :P

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

This has been a question that my partner and I have been ducking, dodging, making up our own answers to, and otherwise completely avoiding. However, from all of the forum trolling I've done over the past three years of product development I've come to the conclusion that the Anser is the "answer", at least initially. We have a design that would definitely fall within the Anser paradigm, but have avoided pursuing it due to one of the immutable laws of branding: Be First.

This doesn't seem to apply to the putter industry. Any and all thoughts on this subject are welcome. The responses we received from our prior post completely shaped our first market ready design, so we are incredibly appreciative of all the feedback we receive at MGS. You guys and gals rock.

Tim

Does a chip company have to have a potato chip, a tortilla chip and cheese flavored chip? Only if you want to sell them. The thing about putters is that it does not necessarily have to be a different design as far as function is concerned. Certainly, if an Anser fits your swing you need to stick with it. Even if the putter goes sour on you, sometimes you need one in solid white. Or different machining. The fact that it is just like a Ping, Scotty or Betti have nothing to do with it. A different material or color or scrolling is enough to make it sell.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I dont think you can be successful as a company without a version of the Anser. Its still the most popular and most successful putter design ever and a company would be missing out on the big chunk of the market by not offering one.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• SPY VIP

Nothing is absolute. So no...you don't necessarily need to offer an Anser, but it largely depends on who you want to be as a company when you grow up.

If your goal is to sell a lot of putters, then yeah you probably need an Anser, and maybe an 8802, and perhaps even a #9. The reason everybody offers them, is because that's what everyone buys. Companies have been successful with other shapes (2-ball, futura, etc.), but unless you're a true niche company (which usually means 1 or 2 models only), your bread is buttered with the classics.

I can promise you that when I'm in Orlando next week I'll see at least 1/2 dozen (probably more) putter companies trying to make it without an Anser. Most won't be back next year. A couple (Redemption Golf springs to mind) with have some success (enough to come back for the next show). Very few, however, will have any real impact.

I'm not the putter ho that a lot of these guys are, but really the only name that springs to mind as a company who has made it (and certainly not a Cameron/Bettinardi/Odyssey/Rife-once-upon-a-time level) is Axis1.

So short answer...if you want the be the next Axis1, then no...you don't need an Anser. If you want to be anybody else, you probably do.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

THIS!!!

It shouldn't take three years to realize and accept RB's first & second sentence. I'm not being a smart ass by posting this though if you/your partner are golfers and have been around the game any length of time, regardless of hdcp, this should have been in your heads the first time that you two sat down at that table to discuss this venture and put it on paper.

The fact that it wasn't and that it's taken you three years to come to the conclusion that Rookie came to probably walkin out to his car or after he put the little one to bed would give me pause as to your business & strategic accum.

As I said, you picked the best to follow(Trout & Ries), and I would recommend every one of their books, both together and as solo authors/strategists, and though I'm not going to get into it here, however you've missed a few of their key beliefs and strategic thoughts from other books, that help one work around the fact that they're not first or truly different.

Whether it's golf or business, some of it can be taught, however to get to scratch or to be that 2% of start-up businesses that reach $1,000,000 in sales or get aquired so that you & your partner can float off into a multi-million dollar retirement, well, those are the skills that pros, books and grad school can't teach ya.

You either got 'em or ya don't

Only you & your partner can answer that question.

My Best,

Richard

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Thank you very much, Richard. I do appreciate your insight.

Just to clarify, the majority of the product development time was spent on a design for which we eventually submitted a utility patent application. However, during the design process we ultimately came to the conclusion that the manufacturing end for said design would prove too costly, and after discussions with T decided to shelf the idea, at least for a while.

We have since trialed with many designs (most of which were blades, just not Ansers) as well as a modular fitting system that we've all but finished prototyping. Our progress and subsequent timeline is impacted by our responsiblities at our current professions, my partner's being our largest obstacle as he is the machinist and we can only machine on off hours, provided the necessary machines are open.

You are probably correct that we have spent far too much time spinning our wheels on the concept of being first, rather than accepting the market realities and concentrating on a different strategy of positioning.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Tim

How about a MGS giveaway?

We could review and promote.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Tim, that's great that ya already spoke with T. He'll pull no punches and he knows the industry as well as anybody.

Regarding the spinning of wheels, that's sorta like the "fudge factor," in that you know that it's gonna happen, that's life, ya just try to keep it to a minimum & learn from the misfires and hope that they're not too costly, either time or money wise.

Again, the Very Best to you & your partner! :)

I love to see the "little guy(s)" run with the big dogs!

My Best,

Richard

Fairways & Greens 4ever

T is a great guy. I enjoy his company and his insight.

Just out of curiosity, Richard, what type of business consulting do you specialize in? I'm in operations myself, and understand that beyond vendor procurement, supply chain management, and inventory control there are gaps in my experience that once filled will certainly benefit our endeavor.

Tim

Tim, I don't know if you've hadda chance to read Ries's & Trout's other work, however there are four that I would highly recommend, and if you've read them, read them again.

They are:

1) Focus, by Al Ries..First published in 1996 & the second edition was out in 2005..Go with the second edition.

2)Differentiate or Die, by Jack Trout & Steve Rivkin..published in 2001 with a second edition released in 2008. Excellent, excellent book. Al Reis had split from Trout in 1994 and started his own firm with his daughter, Laura, which is Ries and Ries.

3) Marketing Warfare, By Al Ries & Jack Trout..Published in 1987..Great book with actionable Strategic and tactical advice..Excellent book for a small company in a crowded marketplace dominated by a few Big Boys(HaHa, sound familiar?)

4)Positioning, The Battle for Your Mind, Ries/Trout..Published in 1981..Is the classic that started it all & there is the second, more "modern" edition released in 1996 titled, "The New Positioning", with Trout & Rivkin as the authors of the follow-up..I would read both, though if you're crunched for time, go with the second release.

I hope that this is of some assistance.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I just started rereading Positioning again after our back-and-forth, and will search out the others after I'm finished. If your offer was sincere don't be surprised if I don't contact you personally.

Thanks again for taking the time out to provide thoughtful responses.

Tim

Hope you guys don't mind - here's another country heard from...

Loved Differentiate Or Die, and it's past time for a re-read.

Along a similar line is a great book from one of the best business speakers I've ever had the privilege to know - Larry Steinmetz. His key work is a simple, easy to read book called How To Sell At Prices Higher Than Your Competitors.

It's not a "sales system" type of book, but rather it gets into the psychology of why people buy and why people really aren't "price-buyers," even though they think they are.

Germane to the discussion are the 5 key points of differentiation - or "buying points." They are:

Price

Quality

Service

Professionalism

Delivery

When I teach a class, I list the five points and have folks rank them in order of importance. It's an interesting exercise...

How would you guys rank them in order of importance?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Hope you guys don't mind - here's another country heard from...

Loved Differentiate Or Die, and it's past time for a re-read.

Along a similar line is a great book from one of the best business speakers I've ever had the privilege to know - Larry Steinmetz. His key work is a simple, easy to read book called How To Sell At Prices Higher Than Your Competitors.

It's not a "sales system" type of book, but rather it gets into the psychology of why people buy and why people really aren't "price-buyers," even though they think they are.

Germane to the discussion are the 5 key points of differentiation - or "buying points." They are:

Price

Quality

Service

Professionalism

Delivery

When I teach a class, I list the five points and have folks rank them in order of importance. It's an interesting exercise...

How would you guys rank them in order of importance?

The business that actually pays me has a simple approach:

Start with the customer and work backwards. In keeping with that I would rank them...

Quality, Service, Delivery, then Price. I left out professionalism intentionally as I believe professionalism is a bi-product of a quality and customer driven approach to business.

Tim

Bottom line of any new company is a bread and butter line. Investment money does not often buy you enough time to establish a market of your own. If you believe another Anser model will serve as a bread and butter, go with what you believe.

Shambles

I wonder though.

It would seem that modern CNC machines provide the tools where a new putter mfg could quite easily offer a nearly unlimited number of options with fairly minimal investment per design. Between modern CAD/CAM tools and a good CNC device, they put a block of the metal of choice, and mill the design. Louisville Slugger has been doing with with baseball bats for years. Most of the modern 'Custom' car wheels are done this way, as are many custom motorcycle wheels.

Sure these are, for the most part use much lighter materials, but as I understand it, CNC machines can handle steel as well.

Looking at many of the current putter designs, it would seem that small scale CNC would allow nearly endless customization options, while still allowing for well balanced, tools that fit within the rules of the game. Given that, I am surprised that there is really even a question. Considering the simplicity of the design, why would a putter company NOT offer an Anser style putter?

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I wonder though.

It would seem that modern CNC machines provide the tools where a new putter mfg could quite easily offer a nearly unlimited number of options with fairly minimal investment per design. Between modern CAD/CAM tools and a good CNC device, they put a block of the metal of choice, and mill the design. Louisville Slugger has been doing with with baseball bats for years. Most of the modern 'Custom' car wheels are done this way, as are many custom motorcycle wheels.

Sure these are, for the most part use much lighter materials, but as I understand it, CNC machines can handle steel as well.

Looking at many of the current putter designs, it would seem that small scale CNC would allow nearly endless customization options, while still allowing for well balanced, tools that fit within the rules of the game. Given that, I am surprised that there is really even a question. Considering the simplicity of the design, why would a putter company NOT offer an Anser style putter?

Hi, Dru.

Thank you for responding. Admittedly we have been way too focused on differentiation, and through this post have realized that fact and have changed strategy. We should have been looking at this like a golf polo. Sure, Puma has brought to market bright colors to appeal to the youth of the game, but they haven't attempted to change the collar or angle the buttons toward the sleave.

Understand our decisions have to be made relative to our limited production capacity, and although many designs are possible through our design and CAD CAM software it is hardly equivilent to turning a piece of wood. In order to ensure top quality service and quick turnaround time we need to carry inventory. The more diverse the product line the more inventory you need to carry. If your inventory levels require borrowing money you are paying interest on that inventory. Likewise if money tied up in inventory could be used more effectively in your business to make changes that could potentially lead to greater profits or more efficient operations that inventory once again becomes a financial burden that could lead to unnecessary debt.

All of that being said, we have decided to pursue the Anser style for broad market sales, and our original design for a few local fitters in CA and NY. This season should give us insight as to whether or not expanding our line makes sense.

Once again, thanks for your input.

Tim

Ranking by the choices provided, I'd go:

1)Professionalism

2)Service

3)Quality

4)Price

5)Delivery

The most critical factor as to whether a company survives, thrives or dissapears? Your company's postion in the marketplace's mind. That should be #1, #2 & #3. The rest? It's all bullsh*t for some corporate bureaucratic training sheep to stand up and earn a pay check spewin at a bunch of employees goin through the motions, HaHa(I'm obviously not referring to you Bro, you know that :)) .

Now you start talkin about positioning and differentiation & focusing on your position and driving it home into the prospects/customer's mind and drawin up a strategic/tactical initiative around that? Now you're on to somethin. And hell, it might just get ya promoted, or make your company a success lol. Regarding the above factors, professionalism is the closest that I could come to position/image, etc.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Brother - we are SO on the same page it's actually pretty scary.

You really caught the meaning of professionalism - it's everything - your position in the eyes of the market, your attitude, your advertising and promotions, the people you hire and - in my opinion - the "soul" of your company. I've found that customers - no matter what you're selling, like to feel as thought they're part of something bigger and that whoever makes the stuffy they're using actually care about them and reach out to them directly.

Here's how Steinmentz ranks the 5 factors, and I pretty much agree with the ranking if for no other reason than they're so damn logical!

#5 Price - anyone can compete on price. It's not much of a differentiator and ultimately is an unsustainable position - you simply can't make money. After all, price reflects....

#4. Quality - everyone's always suprised to see this so low, but you nailed it dude. Quality is like Jacks or better to open in poker - you have to have a basic level of it to play the game - and the customer base will pretty much assume you have it until proven otherwise. And another thing - good enough is good enough. Which is a better wood - mahogany or plywood? Most people would say mahogany - but not if you need to lay down subfloor. When it comes to putters - Furyk won a million bucks with a $30 putter. Does a $400 putter perform 4x better than a $100 putter?

#3 Service - trumps quality, because service is doing what the customer wants/needs when the customer wants/needs it, especially when the competition is unwilling or unable to. Our family buys a lot of Dominos pizza - not because it's the best pizza in the world, but because they cook it for us and bring it to the house for us.

#2 Professionalism -- see what was stated above. People will buy stuff that may cost more, of suitable - if not premium quality, and with barely acceptable service levels if the image, professionalism, marketing/advertising and salesmanship of the company is top shelf, meets their needs and appeals to their passion and self-image.

#1 Delivery -- pretty simple. If you can't get it, you can't get it. You really, really really want a new putter. You find one that meets every need you have except one - it's a 6 week lead time, and you want (not need, just want) a new putter NOW. What do you do? Many times - maybe not all, but many - you'll go for what can be delivered in a timely manner. I would think, for a new putter manufacturer, if you're not going to be low-priced - do NOT have a delivery problem. Make sure it can get into the customers hands quickly.

When I bought my Coutour putter last year - it wasn't the cheapest I was considering by a long shot. I could have picked up a Ping or a Nike immediately. The differentiation points for me were the professionalism of the fitter - my pro Brad did an awesome job of explaining to me the benefits and and what would fit my needs (including specific Ping and Nike recommendations). The thing was, because I trusted his professionalism, valued the service he provided men and believed in the quality of the product - price wasn't an issue. The thing was I was hot to buy a new putter-and he had them in stock, built it for me while I waited, gripped it up and I was playing it that afternoon.

Sorry for the long-winded tome - stuck in the airport in Dallas coming back from a trade show - 2 full days of talking about this very topic~!

Peace out!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Ranking by the choices provided, I'd go:

1)Professionalism

2)Service

3)Quality

4)Price

5)Delivery

My only comment would be that, and this is just my opinion, though it has been bourne out hundreds of times over the last 23 years for me, and that is that the most critical point/factor is not even listed.

That factor would be image(Position in prospect's mind). I went round & round with the Strategy/Marketing head @ Carnegie Mellon, where I got my MBA and served as an Adjunct in the Jones School of Entrepreneurial Science, because my point was, and I brought Ries/Trout's work into it, that you could have exceptional performance in the above five areas/factors, or you could substitute other factors, however if you didn't account for your position or lack there of in prospect's/customer's mind, you might as well flip a coin as to whether you would succeed, especially a smaller business that has virtually zero margin of error. I've seen it far too many times over the years.

They finally relented and let me introduce my views(actually Ries, Trout & Harry Beckwith(Selling The Invisible, A field Guide To Modern Marketing- An EXCEPTIONAL book, right beside any of Ries/Trout's work). And I'm not saying that quality isn't important, but to base a major strategic thrust around it? C'mon, get serious. If I walk into a client who's on this quality kick, I find out who initiated it, and if it's a VP, I try to get em fired, cuz if they're gettin paid to produce a strategic/tactical initiative, and the best that they can do is say, "Yea guys & girls, let's mak a better product!! That's it. That'll work." BULLSH*T!! And when a CEO, board or employees leave a strategic/tactical initiative meeting with me, I want them excited. I mean excited about the future. Committed to goin through the wall. Have you ever sat through a Six Sigma or ISO(I was a certified auditor) meeting(I know ya have)? I mean, I'm good, however there's no way in hell the I could get someone excited over that, HaHa. I mean it is what it is, bullsh*t, lol.

I mean, quality is a neccessity. Since when did it become somethin that you get an attaboy for doin? HaHa. I mean ya pay the bills to stay in business, Ya pay your employees to stay in busines & ya make an acceptable quality product/service to stay in busines. It's no more important than the first two requirements, nor should it be any more difficult to do. Six Sigma? A human can only detect up to about 3 Sigma(99.998%). I mean, if you tell me that a surgical instument has to be of Six Sigma quality, I'd say no it doesn't, because I had an Orthopaedic Implant distributorship(Hips & Knees) and the company who's implants I distributed was #1 in the world and we sure as hell didn't implement Six Sigma in building implants, and they weren't breakin and we did just fine. The company that was ranked #3? They implemented this Six Sigma initiative, then tried to create an issue(need, worry, selling proposition or whatever other bullsh*t sales word ya wanna use) where there wasn't one, and they started tellin their story. The result? They fell to #4, and I assure that it had nothin to do with quality, HaHa.

My point is that if ya can't make a product or provide a service that is of an ACCEPTABLE quality level to the markertplace(That capitalized word is important, cuz it doesn't have to be Six, Five or Two Sigma, it's gotta be acceptable, whatever level that is, to your prospects)you ain't gonna be in business. The company that's gotta spend tens of millions of dollars on a quality strategy has far, far deeper problems than quality.

The most critical factor as to whether a company survives, thrives or dissapears? Your company's postion in the marketplace's mind. That should be #1, #2 & #3. The rest? It's all bullsh*t for some corporate bureaucratic training sheep to stand up and earn a pay check spewin at a bunch of employees goin through the motions, HaHa(I'm obviously not referring to you Bro, you know that :)) .

Now you start talkin about positioning and differentiation & focusing on your position and driving it home into the prospects/customer's mind and drawin up a strategic/tactical initiative around that? Now you're on to somethin. And hell, it might just get ya promoted, or make your company a success lol. Regarding the above factors, professionalism is the closest that I could come to position/image, etc.

Sorry, I'm a little opinionated when I feel strongly about somethin. And it really kills me to see small businesses who have good people, a good product/service, but they're clueless and they're gonna be pennyless cuz they're focusin(pun intended) on the wrong stuff.

Just a thought :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I love the passion and information, Richard.

Regarding quality, I think we are are talking about it in different terms. Quality as it is intrinsic to the product itself isn't what I'm talking about in its entirety. I look at quality as a holistic approach to business which influences every aspect of the company's operation. A defined quality system works in tandem with customer service and product development, as it defines and utilizes customer feedback to measure the effectiveness of the operation. I understand that positioning is extremely important, but equally as important is a company's ability to measure the back-end input in a way that quantifies the successes or failures of what each company determines as its core metrics. Without measurement a company doesn't know how to focus its resources. Regarding "pats on the back" I disagree. Philips Medical Systems grades its vendors on several different criteria, not the least of which is quality. In addition delivery and innovation are judged equally. My point is that positioning gets you in the door, but a holistic quality approach maintains relationships and establishes trust with clients. In addition the more developed the quality system the quicker a company is capable of responding to product issues (including failures) and in doing so, minimizes the total cost of the issue. In my experience product issues provide an opportunity to show your company's proficiency in dealing with problems in an effective way, and often times provide potential to instill trust in your "prospect's" or established customer's perception of your company's ability to deal with issues effectively. Again, I value your feedback, and if I'm looking at this in a way that you find fault with please don't hesitate to fire back (I get the feeling that you won't be shy in this regard).

Tim

I love the passion and information, Richard.

Regarding quality, I think we are are talking about it in different terms. Quality as it is intrinsic to the product itself isn't what I'm talking about in its entirety. I look at quality as a holistic approach to business which influences every aspect of the company's operation. A defined quality system works in tandem with customer service and product development, as it defines and utilizes customer feedback to measure the effectiveness of the operation. I understand that positioning is extremely important, but equally as important is a company's ability to measure the back-end input in a way that quantifies the successes or failures of what each company determines as its core metrics. Without measurement a company doesn't know how to focus its resources. Regarding "pats on the back" I disagree. Philips Medical Systems grades its vendors on several different criteria, not the least of which is quality. In addition delivery and innovation are judged equally. My point is that positioning gets you in the door, but a holistic quality approach maintains relationships and establishes trust with clients. In addition the more developed the quality system the quicker a company is capable of responding to product issues (including failures) and in doing so, minimizes the total cost of the issue. In my experience product issues provide an opportunity to show your company's proficiency in dealing with problems in an effective way, and often times provide potential to instill trust in your "prospect's" or established customer's perception of your company's ability to deal with issues effectively. Again, I value your feedback, and if I'm looking at this in a way that you find fault with please don't hesitate to fire back (I get the feeling that you won't be shy in this regard).

Tim

Sorry to jump in again Tim - but I love this kind of conversation!

If I'm reading you right you're looking at "quality" beyond just how good the product is. Makes sense - I think there may be a semantic difference. What you're defining as quality to me is a huge part of service-professionalism-delivery. In my mind - when it comes to differentiation - you can separate the quality of the product from the other three elements. A company may have the best tamockifier ever made - but if the tech support team is ill-equipped to handle technical issues, the sales team doesn't answer phone calls or solve problems and hit on their customers' wives and if every shipment is late and/or filled with backorders - and then those deadlines aren't met, quality is of little consequence, especially when someone else has a tamockifier that may not be as good, but it plenty good enough.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Sorry to jump in again Tim - but I love this kind of conversation!

If I'm reading you right you're looking at "quality" beyond just how good the product is. Makes sense - I think there may be a semantic difference. What you're defining as quality to me is a huge part of service-professionalism-delivery. In my mind - when it comes to differentiation - you can separate the quality of the product from the other three elements. A company may have the best tamockifier ever made - but if the tech support team is ill-equipped to handle technical issues, the sales team doesn't answer phone calls or solve problems and hit on their customers' wives and if every shipment is late and/or filled with backorders - and then those deadlines aren't met, quality is of little consequence, especially when someone else has a tamockifier that may not be as good, but it plenty good enough.

I think you get me. Quality is not just a list of attributes of the product, but a holistic view of the customer experience, and a way of measuring that experience to enhance your operation from the customer's perspective. Does that make sense?

Yep - same definition, different words. There's so much more to manufacturing and selling than simply having a better mousetrap. The worst words I hear my customers and reps say are "man, this thing will sell itself!"

Nothing on this planet is so good that it will sell itself!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The other factor that gives me the confidence that I have is that I actually have had and do have actual businesses outside of my firm. I apply what I teach and advise, and not just in a clients company.

Every single thing I've used in clients businesses I've used in my own so I've seen what works and what doesn't. And it cost me a million dollar business(actually 1.67 and that was my massive failure). The age thing could e been overcome, though cocky, blinded and dumb? It was like hittin a granite wall goin 100 mph. It was ugly.

All of these strategy consultants/authors, and I don't care if its Ries & Trout with positioning & differentiation or Richard Mott or Brian Solis, consultants and preachers of "holistic" business practices, they play with other peoples' companies, money and peoples' lives.

"Holistic business" was just another of the bullsh*t "strategies du jour" and they went out and roped in companies. I happened to have followed Solis into a commpany and he and the strategy almost broke a multi-million dollar corporation. I asked him to show me a successful "holistic" company that meets two criteria, #1, more than $3 million in revenue & #2, a five year track record with full implimentation. HaHa, I'm still waitin for that call, though I know for a fact that there are none.

The mantra of the "holistic" amateurs(Solis & Mott included) was that, "All of the business schools & consultants talk about "thinking outside of the box," however we don't believe that there is a box." Seriously, they said this sh*t. And people bought it! I mean these guys are rank amateurs, who've never had or run their own business, yet people willingly gave them the keys to their Rolls & Porches, and not only didn't they know how to drive, they didn't even have a license, LOL!

And BTW don't ever use any of Trout/Ries's stuff "as a door opener." I can't imagine it, but I'm thinking it would be pretty ugly, lol :-)

At the end of the day, you/your partner have to ask yourselves one question, and your answer will determine your chances of this being a successful venture. That question is:

There are a lot of guys sittin out there on saws, grinders and sanders with dreams of bein the next Scotty, and there are millions of home workshops where this dream has died. What makes you & your putters different from all of those who have come before you and failed, and how will you leverage that difference into a successful companay?

That's the million dollar question Bro. Ya gotta be able to answer it. And I'll give ya part of the answer: Holistic business has got nothing to do with it.

The Best to ya

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Thanks, Richard.

I wasn't aware that "holistic" was a word du jour, or of your powerful resentment toward it. I merely thought it best described what I was thinking. Forgive my operations heavy, sales and marketing light opinions and observations. It's what I've done for the last ten years at a large medical device manufacturing company and I'm learning everything else. It is true, I don't have your pedigree in education or experience.

Thank you for taking so much time and energy in these spirited exchanges. I hope to learn some valuable things in sifting through your responses, ha ha!

I think I have to take some time in learning where to drop that. (I don't do emoticons, but if I did there would be a smiley face.)

Take Care Richard.

Another 2 cents worth ---

I've worked for manufacturers since 1995 -- the companies I've worked for have made excellent products. The times we've had the greatest success is when the company is sales and marketing driven, meaning the sales and marketing team is helping to shape the company strategy, product mix and direction. Greatest failures have come when manufacturing says "here's what we make, your job is to go sell it." As Richard points out, a lot of companies that make excellent products die on the vine without strong salesmanship, advertising and marketing (part of "professionalism" in the above examples). Strong operations is vital for any successful company, but no one that I can think of has ever said "I buy that product because they run a tight ship back at the factory." It's an ingredient in the soup - but no one buys the ingredients, they buy the soup.

I once repped for a company that made world-class water softeners and other water treatment products. They were ISO 9000 certified and their factory ran like clockwork. They made softeners for GE and other names, and their product was innovative, technologically advanced, of amazing quality and stupid-simple to install and service. Their operations were impeccable - QA/QC was off the charts, their customer service was outstanding and their order fulfillment was first rate. They decided to market and sell a separate line for plumbers, which is the line I worked with. Making the product wasn't their problem -- they ran through a long line of salesmen and sales managers. The good ones simply got fed up because the company wouldn't invest in aggressive marketing, advertising or field training programs to get the word out as to why their stuff was different. Their stuff WAS different and superior - but that key missing element doomed the line to failure.

I think you're asking the right question about the Anser-style putter -- it's a customer-focused, market-focused question, and I think you found your answer (pardon the pun). Whatever else you do in your endeavor, make sure you have a key point of differentiation or two - whether it's product driven or - more likely - marketing driven - and hammer the point home in all your marketing, advertising and sales efforts. Remember that nothing is so good that it will sell itself. Which leaves me with my favorite non-limerick poem (I've posted it here a few times):

He who has a thing to sell

And goes and whispers in a well

Is not as apt to get the dollars

As he who climbs a tree and hollers.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Another 2 cents worth ---

I've worked for manufacturers since 1995 -- the companies I've worked for have made excellent products. The times we've had the greatest success is when the company is sales and marketing driven, meaning the sales and marketing team is helping to shape the company strategy, product mix and direction. Greatest failures have come when manufacturing says "here's what we make, your job is to go sell it." As Richard points out, a lot of companies that make excellent products die on the vine without strong salesmanship, advertising and marketing (part of "professionalism" in the above examples). Strong operations is vital for any successful company, but no one that I can think of has ever said "I buy that product because they run a tight ship back at the factory." It's an ingredient in the soup - but no one buys the ingredients, they buy the soup.

I once repped for a company that made world-class water softeners and other water treatment products. They were ISO 9000 certified and their factory ran like clockwork. They made softeners for GE and other names, and their product was innovative, technologically advanced, of amazing quality and stupid-simple to install and service. Their operations were impeccable - QA/QC was off the charts, their customer service was outstanding and their order fulfillment was first rate. They decided to market and sell a separate line for plumbers, which is the line I worked with. Making the product wasn't their problem -- they ran through a long line of salesmen and sales managers. The good ones simply got fed up because the company wouldn't invest in aggressive marketing, advertising or field training programs to get the word out as to why their stuff was different. Their stuff WAS different and superior - but that key missing element doomed the line to failure.

I think you're asking the right question about the Anser-style putter -- it's a customer-focused, market-focused question, and I think you found your answer (pardon the pun). Whatever else you do in your endeavor, make sure you have a key point of differentiation or two - whether it's product driven or - more likely - marketing driven - and hammer the point home in all your marketing, advertising and sales efforts. Remember that nothing is so good that it will sell itself. Which leaves me with my favorite non-limerick poem (I've posted it here a few times):

He who has a thing to sell

And goes and whispers in a well

Is not as apt to get the dollars

As he who climbs a tree and hollers.

Well stated, and duly noted.

Thanks Barbajo.

HaHa, Dude, I love this. Begining of December, I wrote this on the back of a client CEO's business card and gave it to him, lol. Do ya know, the guy actually looks at it once/day, HaHa(He's a PhD, comes from R&D), and no I didn't tell him to do that. I was actually surprised when he pulled it out a few weeks ago, a tad tattered, lol.

And yes, I gave you due credit :)

Glad that you're back home safe & sound. Those Texas winds can get a bit testy

Have a good one

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Safe and sound, with the dogs walked, the wife tucked away in her office and a sick son on the couch. Ahhh, blessed domestic tranquility....

Great story about your client. It's one of those simple ditties that's so fundamental to success that it tends to get overlooked. Fancy playbook aside, none of it works if you don't block and tackle...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

And let us not forget the Antler Extract ;-)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

As they say, a little dab'll do ya...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived