TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Bag of Sticks

I decided to give the clubs a washing yesterday while I was sitting around trying to figure out a way to bond with them over the long winter months. Therefore since they are shiny I figured why not throw some pictures up for What's In Your Bag. This is one of my favorite sections of the forum, for some reason I love seeing what everyone's gaming.

My bag includes:

Driver: Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 9.5* w/Diamana 'ahina 65 x-flex

3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 13* w/Aldila Rip Sigma 70 x-flex

3 Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 19* w/Aldila Rip Sigma 80 s-flex

Irons: Titleist AP-2 710 4-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold X-100's: 2* Up +1/2"

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*, 56*, 60* w/Wedge Flex :angry: : 2* Up +1/2"

Putter: Ping NOME 34" Black Dot

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

Grips: Driver through PW: Pure Pro Midsize, Wedges: Golf Pride Multicompound Midsize

To say that MGS has had a lot of influence on my bag in the short amount of time I have been a member on the site would be an understatement!

Things that I've bagged from MGS reviews, suggestions, or whatever else include...

Pure Grips, Nike VR Pro Limited Edition driver, CB4 Tour woods, Ping NOME putter.

Things I've done to my clubs from cruising around the forums / DIY section...

Paint fill the numbers on my irons, custom stamping on wedges, re-grip using PURE's + air compressor, and stripping my wedges down to their bare bones, witch I love the look of. :wub:

Thanks for looking!

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

8.jpeg

7.jpeg

9.jpeg

Driver: Ping G25 9.5° TFC Tour X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Whiteout/Red

Fairway Wood: 3w Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 13° Aldila RIP X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Black/Red

Hybrid: 3h Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 19° Aldila RIP X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Black/Red

Irons: Cobra Amp Cell Pro's 4i-PW KBS C-Taper X-stiff + 1/2" w/New Decade Multicompound Whiteout/Black

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4's 50°, 54°, 58° DG S300's +1/2" w/New Decade Multicompound Whitout/Black

Putter: Nike Method 001 34" w/SuperStroke Mid-Slim White/Red

MIghty fine lookin' bag!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thanks barbajo! Half the battle of playing good is looking good right?? ;)

MIghty fine lookin' bag!

Fairway Wood: 3w Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 13° Aldila RIP X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Black/Red

Hybrid: 3h Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 19° Aldila RIP X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Black/Red

Irons: Cobra Amp Cell Pro's 4i-PW KBS C-Taper X-stiff + 1/2" w/New Decade Multicompound Whiteout/Black

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4's 50°, 54°, 58° DG S300's +1/2" w/New Decade Multicompound Whitout/Black

Very Nice Sticks. I especially like the VR Pro head cover. Did that come stock with the driver? I guess as a new member I am going to need to do one of these.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Thanks wd!

The main reason I even dreamed up buying the Nike VR LE was that I wanted to experiment with a smaller club head. Depending on where you look that one is either 430cc or 440cc, but either way it's smaller.

The reason I wanted to do this was because with the R11s I felt like I was swinging a parachute. The feeling (which is pretty hard to describe) is that the head felt incredibly un-aerodynamic and unstable throughout the swing. If that makes any sense :blink:

I always felt like this made it a struggle to get speed out of the club head and return it to the ball square.

The second reason I wanted to buy the Nike VR LE was because I feel like the Aldila RIP Phenom TP in X-stiff was the equivalent of swinging a piece of rebar! This probably had a lot to do with my first feeling of swinging a parachute, but either way it was just too much for me to gain any confidence with this driver.

Inevitably someone will ask the smart question "Why did you buy that shaft in the first place," and what happened is that when my R9 Supertri (which I WAS fitted for) cracked straight down the crown, Taylormade was incredibly gracious and replaced it with this club. The shaft in my R9 Supertri was an Aldila RIP (beta?) TP X-stiff, so by all accounts I figured this Phenom would feel the same when they asked me what I wanted for my new driver.

Sooo... when I had a chance to buy that driver, the smaller head (4-piece forged, which is a big bonus in the feel department) felt stable, solid, sounded great, and looked confidence inspiring at setup.

And even though the shaft is a "made for" Diamana, the feel is like nothing I've ever had before out of either of my Aldila RIP shafts. The smoother I swing, the better the result with that shaft, which actually ends up increasing my club head speed. Before I was trying to absolutely RIP (sorry, had to :P ) the Aldila because it was too heavy and overpowering for me, which lead to a lot of dispersion.

So in the end, I absolutely LOVE this driver. Every good thing I had heard about it is true. I kid you not when I say I'm hitting more fairways then I ever have before. That being said, I am a good 5 yards or so shorter than with the R11s, but that's a small price to pay when the ball is easier to find in the fairway!

Lovin' the putter JR! :)

Very nice setup. I'm curious why the Nike Limited over the R11s? I'm not sure I'll be keeping my own R11s is why I ask.

One of these days I need to try out the Tour Edge stuff.

Thanks Rickles!

The headcover is stock with the driver, and it's definitely really good looking I agree. Only problem is that the thing is a huge pain in the @ss to get on the club because it's so tight. Unfortunately, due to how tight it is the sock has ripped vertically about 3" where it meets the head area. Oh well, guess I'll have to post a DIY headcover sewing instructional when I learn how to do that! :lol:

Very Nice Sticks. I especially like the VR Pro head cover. Did that come stock with the driver? I guess as a new member I am going to need to do one of these.

Nice Setup......guess you gotta be partial to Red/Black...is that school colors or something?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Thanks Foz!

Not school colors, that would be purple and yellow, little harder to come by for golf equipment.

Just like the color red, and my OCD happens to get the best of me sometimes wanting everything to match!

• 4 weeks later...

The LE was a sweet driver and I loved the head and was set to buy it(I have a thing for drivers, HaHa).

However when I saw the "made for" shaft, well, that totally sux, especially when the driver is a forged 430cc players head. I was so pissed that I called the rep and their corporate. The rep listened, then made some bullsh*t explanation about "fitting" the most golfers.

That's fine for a 460cc driver marketed to the masses. No probs.

However, the masses could not and would not hit this club.

Boy, I loved that head.

And I swap out most of my shafts or order em custom anyway.

But to charge $350 for a LE players driver and put a "made for" in it?

I don't give a sh*t what the excuse, that reaks of arrogance, as in "whatever we make, they will buy."

Not this *sshole.

Anyway, it's a beautiful driver!

Just a thought

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

At least they're changing direction with the Covert and offering the real Kuro Kage, but I agree with the LE. It was a really nice driver but the shaft sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

The LE was a sweet driver and I loved the head and was set to buy it(I have a thing for drivers, HaHa).

However when I saw the "made for" shaft, well, that totally sux, especially when the driver is a forged 430cc players head. I was so pissed that I called the rep and their corporate. The rep listened, then made some bullsh*t explanation about "fitting" the most golfers.

That's fine for a 460cc driver marketed to the masses. No probs.

However, the masses could not and would not hit this club.

Boy, I loved that head.

And I swap out most of my shafts or order em custom anyway.

But to charge $350 for a LE players driver and put a "made for" in it?

I don't give a sh*t what the excuse, that reaks of arrogance, as in "whatever we make, they will buy."

Not this *sshole.

Anyway, it's a beautiful driver!

Just a thought

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I couldn't agree more RP. That made for shaft is pure garbage. As much as I LOVE the feel of that club head, until I can replace the shaft with something that fits my swing better, it's back to the R11s.

I was at the range this weekend working on trying to change my swing to come up with a less violent transition (I'm pretty aggressive off the tee) so as not to overpower that wet noodle of a shaft, when I slapped myself and remembered to find equipment to fit me, instead of trying to fit myself to the wrong equipment.

I also agree with the made for shaft, even though I ordered mine with an aftermarket shaft, the idea of a tour style driver with one shaft offering as a stock option is terrible. At least their custom department is really good, but the upcharges border on ridiculous for premium shafts.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

At least their custom department is really good, but the upcharges border on ridiculous for premium shafts.

In my opinion, TMAG is the worst when it comes to this. It's like $150 upcharge for a Diamana shaft, not too bad but wait, you also have to pay another $100 for the same exact head in order to get the shaft. What's the reasoning behind this?

• 3 weeks later...

Latest bag update...

Switched out my Vokey Spin Milled wedges for 3 new SM4's.

New wedges are 50*12, 54*11, and 58*09.

Being a taller player (6'2") with a steep swing, I tend to launch the ball really high with a lot of backspin. The new loft/bounce configurations on the SM4's coupled with the CC grooves should have some real positive results.

The idea behind my choices is less digging with higher bounces, more distance with stronger lofts to combat the extra high launches, more penetrating flight with heavier DG S300's vs. wedge flex shafts, and the ability to play more types of partial wedge shots with selected grind options on the 54* and 58*.

Needless to say I'm super excited to get out on the course and practice with the new weapons!

Also had the lies on all of my irons bent back to standard from 2* upright to help with the swing change I've been working on over the winter months. I've studied and tried to ingrain the ideas of a 1 plane swing over the last few months and with that comes more bend at the waist for me. This has made it so that my hands are closer to the ground and the upright lies were causing a lot of heel digging. Checked on a lie board at my fitter, the change made a dramatic difference to bring my contact more towards the center of the club.

I'm planning on playing with the new lies for a number of rounds before deciding whether or not to cut down the extra 1/2" on my irons as well. Trying to minimize the variable changes at this point so early in the season!

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

• 4 months later...

The new WIYB's I've been seeing has inspired me to take some new snaps of my bag after the overhaul it went through this season. So far the new setup has dropped my handicap almost 2 index points. I attribute this first to being fit for a new driver that has me hitting so many more fairways. Also, the new irons with the KBS C-Tapers have dramatically improved my ball striking accuracy and flight. I can't say enough good things about the new additions, but to put it simply, accuracy accuracy accuracy! And the Anser Milled 5 is my favorite putter of all time. Finding a face balanced blade has totally transformed my putting, and getting fit for the putter has probably been the second most influential part of dropping my handicap.

All grips are standard size +1 wrap.

Swapped the standard Ping grip on the Anser for the Scottsdale standard size grip and the feel is 100x better!

Driver: Ping G25 9.5* w/Tour X-Stiff Ping TFC shaft

3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 13* w/Aldila Rip 70X

3 Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 19* w/Aldila Rip 80S

Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Pro's with X-stiff KBS Tour C-tapers +1/2" and standard loft/lie

Wedges: Vokey SM4 CC Black Nickel 50*, 54*, 58* +1/2" standard loft/lie w/TT DG S300 shafts

Putter: Ping Anser Milled 5 long neck face balanced 35" black dot bent to 5* loft 2* flat

Getting their bath before the photo shootphoto 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 1.JPG

How are the long irons?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

1374791085[/url]' post='110654']

Nice. What are your thoughts on the putter fitting process?

Thanks aotearoabrad.

I ended up at Golf Galaxy to buy the putter because they were the only shop in town that had the model in store to test out. I knew I wanted a plumbers neck milled putter and the Anser 5 was one of the very few longnecks I could find to suit my need for a face balanced "blade."

The fitting was... Basic. Luckily I'm very methodic about my set up so I feel confident that the changes really do fit my game, but they were pretty simple

First, the fitter studied my putter lie (eyeballing) which I knew was incredibly toe-up, and we fixed that by bending the putter 2* flat. Simple but effective.

Second, they put a board in between my hands and my legs that had vertical lines to figure out how much forward press I have and adjust the loft on the putter accordingly. Therefore, we added loft to accomadate my press and limit the skid off the putter face.

That's it.

Like I said, very simple, but really I knew what kind of balance, length, and neck/head type I wanted. Therefore I'd say that's pretty much all there was left as long as the person getting fitted knows their desired putter type to fit their stroke.

In a word, effective.

1374793802[/url]' post='110660']

How are the long irons?

I was worried about them before getting them out of the box, but man oh man do they perform. I've never had a problem getting the ball airborn, and these are no different, but the flight is absolutely perfect.Not only are these the best feeling (no ifs ands or buts) forged irons I've ever hit, but the c-tapers are so smooth they make hitting the long irons a pleasure. And they hit and sit too!

Archived