Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cobra AMP Cell Pro Driver

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

Back in September Cobra sent us samples of their (still) upcoming AMP Cell Driver. It was the first driver announced that offers all lofts in one head. Cobra called the new adjustability system 'MyFly'.

What is also unique about Cobra's new drivers is that they're going to be offered in 4 different colors, and all 4 colors (Orange, Silver, Blue, and Red) will be stocked at retail. Cobra had already done the red thing (ZL), and the silver thing (AMP), and even the orange thing (Special Edition AMP Orange), but the blue head was new.

Now all be the first to admit that I smirked a little when I first saw the blue head. I'm not sure why I thought blue was more ridiculous than red or orange (or white, or silver), but I did. I continued smirking right up until the first time I lined it up behind a golf ball.

I've loved it ever since.

Just a few short weeks later I found myself attending an Open House at Cobra's Carlsbad headquarters. During a demo days session on day 2 of the 3 day event I found out that Cobra would only be offering the Pro version (smaller, lower spin, etc.) in Orange and Silver. The reasoning was sound enough. The team at Cobra had come to the conclusion that silver and orange would be the two most popular colors. After that, it was just a matter of supply and demand.

During a series of round table discussions it became abundantly clear that Red and Blue were actually the most popular colors among those in attendance. Cobra might have to rethink the no blue and red in the Pro model.

Now I can't say for sure what ultimately led to the decision to reverse course and make red and blue heads available through custom (I'd like to think my occasional reminders that "blue needs to happen" was the tipping point), but whatever the reason, Cobra has decided to allow anyone who wants an AMP Cell Pro in blue or red to special order one (orange and silver will be available off the rack).

I suppose you can chalk it up to demand and supply. Apparently enough of us demanded Cobra supply it.

So with all of that background out of the way, here are a few pics of one of the first, of what I expect will be many, Blue Cobra AMP Cell Pro Drivers that will find their way into the wild. This one showed up on my porch with a note that read, "Jose made it happen".

Amp Cell Pro Blue-1.jpg

Amp Cell Pro Blue-2.jpg

Amp Cell Pro Blue-3.jpg

Amp Cell Pro Blue-4.jpg

Amp Cell Pro Blue-5.jpg

Amp Cell Pro Blue-6.jpg

Amp Cell Pro Blue-7.jpg

Amp Cell Pro Blue-8.jpg

Amp Cell Pro Blue-9.jpg

Amp Cell Pro Blue-10.jpg

Amp Cell Pro Blue-11.jpg

Amp Cell Pro Blue-12.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Looks awesome, not sure what i like more this or the Nike Covert

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• SPY VIP

More Kuro Kage stock shaft action I see

I believe Kuro Kage is stock on about 96% of the 2013 drivers.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Now that I like!!!

I really wasn't the market for a new driver this year, but I may have to go hit that one.

That's very similar to color blue I was trying to get my F11 to be when I painted it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

and it does not have a specific loft......that's right....the Loft is adjustable.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Yummy!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

Why have I never had an interest in Cobra? Between the irons yesterday and that driver, they have my attention all of a sudden. That blue and silver looks great. A whole lot better than that TM thing.

Why indeed?

Look back through our reviews and you'll see that Cobra's stuff consistently performs at or near the top...even when we do our head to head stuff.

Unfortunately I think some get caught up in the color (the PUMA side of things a bit more than they probably should). The R&D guys always talk about performance first. Once they get something they believe is better than what they've got, then they'll worry about how to paint it.

Why indeed?

Look back through our reviews and you'll see that Cobra's stuff consistently performs at or near the top...even when we do our head to head stuff.

Unfortunately I think some get caught up in the color (the PUMA side of things a bit more than they probably should). The R&D guys always talk about performance first. Once they get something they believe is better than what they've got, then they'll worry about how to paint it.

Could the same be said of TaylorMade?

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Why indeed?

Actually, I do remember the review on the S3 irons I think it was. There was a lot of hype about how long they were. But the shafts were a half inch longer across the set, and the lofts were a whole club stronger basically. That was actually a turn off for me instead of making want to go try or buy them. If they scratch off the 6 and put a 7 on the bottom of the club, and then tell me it's 10 yards longer than my set, that's insulting. Not that something could be legitimately longer, but insulting to people's intelligence that they would fall for that and believe it. I know they aren't the only ones doing that. But that particular case seemed more blatant than others.

I'm really liking the looks of that driver and Amp Cell Pro irons especially though gotta say.

• SPY VIP

Actually, I do remember the review on the S3 irons I think it was. There was a lot of hype about how long they were. But the shafts were a half inch longer across the set, and the lofts were a whole club stronger basically. That was actually a turn off for me instead of making want to go try or buy them. If they scratch off the 6 and put a 7 on the bottom of the club, and then tell me it's 10 yards longer than my set, that's insulting. Not that something could be legitimately longer, but insulting to people's intelligence that they would fall for that and believe it. I know they aren't the only ones doing that. But that particular case seemed more blatant than others.

I'm really liking the looks of that driver and Amp Cell Pro irons especially though gotta say.

I think you may have missed the boat on the S3. There's a lot more that goes into a modern distance iron that tweaking lofts, or lengthening shafts. It's part of it, but definitely not all of it.

Our iron review scoring does not consider distance. Whether a tester is hitting an 6 iron to 150 or an 8 iron to 150 it doesn't matter. All we care about is how close (on average) he hits the ball to the target at hand. Few we've tested produced better results than the S3.

I can also tell you that the vast majority are not right-minded...at least wholly logical when it comes to the number stamped on the bottom of our irons.

For the last several years I've bagged what most would consider traditionally (at least by modern standards) lofted and length irons. I'm fully aware that TaylorMade's RBladez have stronger lofts and longer shafts. And yet, I can assure you despite all my rational knowledge, it absolutely was a psychological advantage to me to hit a 7 where I would otherwise hit a 6. There are design elements that come into play, but simply being able to hit a higher numbered club (even if in most every respect it is equivalent to my 6 iron), made me feel better about the shot.

I'm told the same is true on Tour as well. Guys want to hit their 7 farther...even if it means they're effectively hitting a 6.

There's what we know...and then there's how we adapt at to reality. Until everybody starts stamping lofts on the toe, I can promise you most (even guys who fully understand what's going on) will feel beter about hitting the 7...even if it's really what most of us think of as a 6.

I think you may have missed the boat on the S3. There's a lot more that goes into a modern distance iron that tweaking lofts, or lengthening shafts. It's part of it, but definitely not all of it.

Our iron review scoring does not consider distance. Whether a tester is hitting an 6 iron to 150 or an 8 iron to 150 it doesn't matter. All we care about is how close (on average) he hits the ball to the target at hand. Few we've tested produced better results than the S3.

I can also tell you that the vast majority are not right-minded...at least wholly logical when it comes to the number stamped on the bottom of our irons.

For the last several years I've bagged what most would consider traditionally (at least by modern standards) lofted and length irons. I'm fully aware that TaylorMade's RBladez have stronger lofts and longer shafts. And yet, I can assure you despite all my rational knowledge, it absolutely was a psychological advantage to me to hit a 7 where I would otherwise hit a 6. There are design elements that come into play, but simply being able to hit a higher numbered club (even if in most every respect it is equivalent to my 6 iron), made me feel better about the shot.

I'm told the same is true on Tour as well. Guys want to hit their 7 farther...even if it means they're effectively hitting a 6.

There's what we know...and then there's how we adapt at to reality. Until everybody starts stamping lofts on the toe, I can promise you most (even guys who fully understand what's going on) will feel beter about hitting the 7...even if it's really what most of us think of as a 6.

I think it's a matter of psycho-physics. 5% physics and 95% psycho...

Regardless, put a 7 in my hands and I feel confident. A 6, a tad less...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Oh I agree on the mental effect as well as the accuracy results. Can't argue with that. Those weren't the look I would want in an iron regardless, just didn't appeal to me, not that anything was wrong with them. I just don't think it's accurate to say a set of clubs is longer when they're marked with higher numbers. It's not apples to apples in other words. I doubt I would find their 7 iron any longer than my 6 which are the same loft and length is all I mean. If the number on the bottom helps someone feel more confident, more power to them though. For me, I would grab the 7 and be telling myself, OK, I'm really hitting a 6 iron.

Kinda sucks that these just started coming out... I just got the cobra amp driver parts in this week to try out as a driver.. Like that they are offering different lofts though

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Archived